The Last Guardian Isn't Dead, According To Sony

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
The Last Guardian Isn't Dead, According To Sony

We just want to be confident when we release this one, says Yoshida.

The Last Guardian [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/10208-The-Last-Guardian], Sony's long-delayed boy-and-incredibly-cute-griffin fantasy game, is still alive, according to Sony's Shuhei Yoshida. "If you visit Japan Studio there are lots of people working on it," says Yoshida, but he went on to say that "we really want to be confident next time when we introduce The Last Guardian to the public, so we are waiting for that time to come."

His comments were echoed by Software Product Development Head for Sony Worldwide Studios America, Scott Rohde. "So, we're not talking about when The Last Guardian is coming out," said Rohde, "but it is still a game that there's a lot of love for inside PlayStation walls, because everybody sees how emotionally driven that the entire fan base of PlayStation always responds with when we talk about The Last Guardian." Even so, Rohde refused to announce any details about the title. He was only prepared to say it was alive, nothing more.

The last we heard of this one, its former creative supervisor Fumito Ueda said it was in good hands, but that was all he said, and there's been nothing since [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122103-Sony-May-Have-a-Last-Guardian-Announcement-Soon].

Source: Joystiq [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/413117/the-last-guardian-is-alive-and-kicking-yoshida/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Team Ico, quit tickling our taint and tell us something about the game damn it! We were already disappointing it wasn't going to show up again at this years E3. Please tell us something concrete.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
This just in: The Last Guardian confirmed as a launch title for Sony's next console, the PlayStation 7. Coming holiday 2034.

In other news, George R.R. Martin is still saying Winds of Winter is coming "next year".

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
When I bought a ps3 this was one of the games I was most looking forward to. Needless to say I'm not making that mistake again. In my mind this game is now dead until it is actually released.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
"Don't worry, ladies and gentlemen, given their fantastic history with this sort of thing, we'll give it to Gearbox, and it will be out in another six years!"

I kid, but damn, is this game taking a long ass time.

Dec 14, 2009
I can't even imagine it's the same game as shown at... whatever year it was shown, 1978?

Probably started from scratch.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah... if you call that "living"...

Right now this game is somewhere trapped in a dingy basement whimpering, "[small]Kill me... Kill meeee...[/small]"

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Honestly, I've passed the point of caring.

Chances are, if this game is ever released, it won't likely live up to the wait and hype, like pretty much all other long-delayed games.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Well Square Enix finally gave us Versus (now FF XV) news. So if they can resurrect a title long thought to be dead, I'm sure Team Ico might be able to.

Remember also that Shadow of the Colossus was first called NICO, before they scrapped the whole thing, started from scratch and it was re-branded into SotC. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened to The Last Guardian.

For those who didn't know that, here's a trailer

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
It's either a PS4 launch title that they plan to keep under wraps till the last second or it has become the New Duke Nukem forever. A pet project that has gone HORRIBLY WRONG!

My money is on the last minute launch announcement. Can you imagine the kind of hipster buzz this would generate?