Killer Instinct Dev Details The Fighter's New Features

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Killer Instinct Dev Details The Fighter's New Features

Courtesy Double Helix Games we've got a host of new details on the upcoming Killer Instinct reboot/sequel/whatever it is.

During Monday's Microsoft press conference, the tech giant wheeled out Killer Instinct to the delight of many fans. Unfortunately, we only saw maybe a minute or two of actual gameplay, and learned very little about the game from that time. Fortunately, the Killer Instinct fans at the Rare FanDaBase grilled developer Double Helix Games and came away with far more interesting info than any of us drew from Microsoft's presentation.

Let's start with the game's roster. It had already been established that Jago, Glacius and Sabrewulf would reappear in Killer Instinct but Double Helix claims that Fulgore, Spinal and Cinder will also be among the game's cast of brawlers. Presumably there are more classic Killer Instinct faces yet to be revealed, but Double Helix also states that the game will include an as-yet-unknown number of new fighters.

Development-wise, Killer Instinct was always intended to be an Xbox One title and has been developed from the ground up with that intention in mind. It's currently slated to appear as an Xbox One launch title, and while the game will bear the dreaded "free-to-play" badge, Double Helix plans to offer a number of payment (or non-payment) packages for players to choose from.

While Killer Instinct seems an attempt to harken back to the halcyon days of the 1990s, it will include some pretty major functionality changes. Double Helix has removed No Mercy and Ultimate Combo attacks from the game, saying that they are unnecessary. For those of you not in the know, these are more or less the Killer Instinct version of Mortal Kombat's fatalities. Further, it's also apparently possible to start an Ultra Combo, cancel into something else, then cancel back into the Ultra Combo. This is supposed to be really spectacular, but Double Helix's spokespeople say that they've never seen anyone actually accomplish this feat.

Double Helix also claims that the game's combo system has been streamlined, so that while Killer Instinct will supposedly be a mix of gameplay concepts from the original Killer Instinct and Killer Instinct 2/Gold, players hoping to pull off ridiculous 20-plus hit combos should have an easier time doing so.

I'll reserve judgement on all of this until I've actually spent some time with Killer Instinct, but everything from that "free-to-play" bit down makes it sound like Double Helix is creating a more player-friendly Killer Instinct. Of course, I'm being diplomatic, and if you'd prefer the term "watered down" I could see that argument being made. Fans? What say you? Any of this upset you?

Source: Rare FanDaBase [http://www.rarefandabase.com/exclusive-fresh-details-from-the-developers-of-killer-instinct-for-xbox-one/]

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
They might as well include all the fighters - There wasn't that many in the first place IIRC...

Let's see, we have...

- Jade
- Cinder
- Sabrewulf
- Jago
- Combo
- Thunder
- Glacius
- Riptor
- Spinal
- Fulgore
- Eyedol

...That's all of them from the original release, right?

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
The only solid game Double Helix put out was Silent Hill: Homecoming. The rest were terrible film tie-in's, especially Battleship.

Should have left it with Rare.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
RaNDM G said:
The only solid game Double Helix put out was Silent Hill: Homecoming. The rest were terrible film tie-in's, especially Battleship.

But what is "Rare" anymore anyway? All the original creative team bailed years ago, right? I'm not being snarky here by the way, I honestly don't know. It just seems like I've heard that on a podcast or something.

Either way, I don't see this move as bad on their part. Seems like the team is genuinely excited to be working on this franchise. And not for nothing, but that Battleship game had a decent idea at it's core. Some weird mix of FPS and RTS by ordering your ships around. That might have been lame because of a rushed time table rather than a poor studio.

I'm interested in this one. And I like the idea that you can play Jago's complete campaign and online modes for free to see if you like the new direction before buying in. I don't think this is a horrible move. And it's not like you can't just buy the game outright if you know you're interested. I think they said they were releasing it that way as well, but there's been such an info dump over the last three days it's difficult to remember it all.

eltonborges

Apr 25, 2008
At least it will be interesting. Bu I hope they bring the finishers back. It was part of the game experience. And the soundtrack: If there is a thing oldtimers will notice first will be the quality of the soundtrack.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
They might as well include all the fighters - There wasn't that many in the first place IIRC...

Let's see, we have...

- Jade
- Cinder
- Sabrewulf
- Jago
- Combo
- Thunder
- Glacius
- Riptor
- Spinal
- Fulgore
- Eyedol

...That's all of them from the original release, right?
add Black Orchid the raptol dinosaur thing and you got the full original roster

which btw if Orchid isn't in this game, it'll loose all if any incentive I might have had to play it

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
RaNDM G said:

Dont forget they also made the Green Latern: rise of the manhunters game as well (I might have the subtitle wrong) which was one of the worst games of 2011 and battleship was one of the worst of 2012.

Two consecutive Poo games from double helix, HORRIBLE F2P model where you get one character, and xbox one exclusive all but killed my hopes for a good revival of KI.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
SupahGamuh said:
Just watch this replacing "They gave Killer Instinct to Double Helix!??".

Heh that was pretty much my reaction when I realised it was an Xbone and saw the actual footage during that conference.

"RAPE MY CHILDHOOD! YOU MUST DIIIE!!!"