Hands-On: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII at E3 2013

Wave turn based combat goodbye.

Read Full Article

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
You know, if this weren't the 3rd installment in what many have said is a bad trilogy I think I may actually have been interested in it. Lightning looks kind of badass. After watching the trailer for FF XV, I can't help but wonder if Final Fantasy has abandoned turn-based altogether.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I agree with Fappy. While it seems like Square has 'learned its lesson' by moving to a more direct and engaging combat system, I've grown tired of the XIII series. I'll be giving it a pass, but am still excited for XV (aka XIII-4).

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
That looks suprisingly good, after the trainwreck that was XIII-2 i could do with a dose of FF XIII goodness without those two hideous prettyboy/girl main characters

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Ugh, another game I want being released so far away. Looking forward to finding out whats going on after that cliffhanger in XII-2, I hate cliffhangers. With a passion. Even more than I hate conveyor belts. Nearly.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
It looks like it plays like an MMO...

I mean seriously, it looks boring, the animations and combat system just look uninspiring and dull

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Turn base is gone now?

That's an interesting choice, but it totally makes sense though. I personally can't wait to play it and I have a feeling I'm in the minority in that, but I don't care. The other thing that's got my interest in this is the whole 13 days timer that's playing a huge part in the game.

Game looks awesome though. :D

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
Man, I hate Lightning. She sounds so bloody bored the whole time, it seems to suck all the enjoyment out of anything. And don't get me started on the atrociously stilted dialogue on the reveal trailer. Having to listen to her throughout an entire game makes me want to pull out my hair. Also is it just me, or does the graphics and animation quality look a bit worse than in the previous two games?
Whatever. I'm still gonna buy it. I enjoyed FFXIII-2 too much to not get this. I just wish Noel was still on the center stage, because he was actually pretty cool, and superior to Lightning in every conceivable way. Welp, at least the combat system looks cool.

Lightning though. Goddamit.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
I hated 13. I hated 13-2. And... I will likely get this, because that combat system looks damn fun.

13... this is ALL I WANTED. A FUN COMBAT SYSTEM. It could have been like Star Ocean, or even an improved 12.

You could've been a contenda!
You can always just wait a bit and get Final Fantasy 15 instead.

Let's look at this realistically: You hated the first iteration of 13, you also hated the second...who's to say that you won't hate the third? Admittedly yes it COULD be good, but, if you havn't enjoyed the first two why bother torturing yourself with the third?

Honestly, just wait for 15 and that way you can go in with a clean slate and just enjoy it for the gameplay without being weighed down by the god awful missteps of 13.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Simple Bluff said:
Lightning though. Goddamit.
I would like to know what people who actually like Lightning specifically like about her. I can understand the logic of how shes just as 'badass' as certain male protagonists so she kind of evens the playing field in that respect but... I don't really like those male characters either. Cloud and Squall were bloody grating, until Kingdom Hearts at least.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Still a bit put off that Lightning is the only playable character (unless they do some DLC thing), but I do like that each Schema changes what she has equipped and stuff. Sort of balances out for not having a full party in a way. The gameplay from the trailers looked really nice too, so I'm looking forward to that. Hopefully this will be better than 13-2. Felt that game wasn't as challenging as 13, nor did it have any of the good character interactions like 13. Also wondering how well implemented the whole "13 days to live" thing is going to work out.

I'll probably pick this up, maybe not right away though.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Lightnings original character design and look from FF XIII was actually one of Squares better efforts. She was clean, attractive. Her style of dress, while the somewhat typical square weirdness at least seemed functional for who she was and what she did... and then in the later installments the typical Square design dementia kicked in. FFXIII-2... feathers? a half skirt of feathers? and weird armor? errrrk! And now... Platform shoes and some sort of armored bell bottoms? I think somebody needs either more or less medication in the art department.