Hands-On: Total War: Rome 2 Delights Your Inner Caesar

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Hands-On: Total War: Rome 2 Delights Your Inner Caesar

There?s tons of strategic and tactical improvements over previous installments Sega?s Total War franchise.

Read Full Article

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
My main question is how do individual soldiers interact with each other in combat. Rome and Medieval 2 had a simple mechanic where a soldier could only fight one other soldier at a time but if a second one attacked then the outnumbered party would not be able to attack due to constantly parrying or taking hits.

It was actually better than the mechanics of Shogun as troops seemed to take forever to perform a kill animation and a wall of troops would get held up by a single opponent.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Well colour me jealous. Desperate to get my hands on Rome 2. NEED IT.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
There is something special about the original Rome total war. Strategic and tactical layers meshed well together, and especially when playing as rome, it just felt really good to play. Rome gets many powerful units, but is beset by enemies and betrayal on all sides-- exciting, fun, and immensely satisfying.

Empire failed to match that level of enjoyment for me.
I didn't bother with the later iterations either- they just don't have the same allure despite technical improvements.

A return to rome promises to be great, but i do hope they manage to maintain the subtle qualities of the original, or it will promise to be a hollow remake.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
oh my god! anytime i hear about this game i get goosebumps. right now the totalwar series is my favorite series. i even enjoyed Empire to great states! and i cant wait to get this game. it also seems that everyday they say the game is even better than what we expected before. I WANT THIS GAME! GIVE IT TO ME!

pizzavore

Jun 13, 2013
Come on, Greg! You can't use "decimate" in a Roman military context unless you mean "reduction by one tenth." Haven't you seen Spartacus?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Very disappointed with this game. Plays and looks like ass. I've got everything on the "extreme" setting and it looks far worse than Shogun 2 did on "high" settings. Kinda sluggish to play aswell.

Shame, I was really stoked for this one too.