Nintendo's First Free-To-Play Title Will Launch Before March, 2014

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo's First Free-To-Play Title Will Launch Before March, 2014

The big N's first free game "won't be a Mario or Pokemon title".

Nintendo seems content to play with the big boys this generation. So far, it has cleaned up its dismal online service, brought its console in to High Definition, and courted several third-party devs for big-name cross-platform releases. Now, it looks like it wants to grab a slice of the lucrative "free-to-play" pie, announcing plans to release a free-to-play title before the end of this fiscal year.

"For this fiscal year, in order to expand our digital business, we are planning to offer new types of content," Satoru Iwata, CEO of Nintendo, shared during a meeting with analysts at this year's E3 event. "We will release titles such as 'New Super Luigi U [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/7480-New-Super-Luigi-U-E3-Trailer],' which is brand-new add-on content updating more than 80 courses from 'New Super Mario Bros. U,' and the first free-to-play software from Nintendo."

This fiscal year runs until March, 2014. Nintendo did not specifically say which platform the free-to-play title will launch on, and the only real details they offered about it was that it "won't be a Mario or Pokemon title, claims industry analyst while Iwata was talking about Wii U games [https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/344865974249459713].

Another strategy Iwata outlined at the analyst meeting was a plan to turn Wi-Fi access points in thousands of locations across America and Europe into "Street Pass Stations," which should help boost the features usage outside of Japan (where I usually get ten Street Passes just going to the grocery store).

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
So if it's not mario or pokemon then its either zelda or metroid or maybe animal crossing.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Dark Knifer said:
So if it's not mario or pokemon then its either zelda or metroid or maybe animal crossing.
I know I'm wrong, but I want TF2 on the WiiU.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
It's going to be a Pikmin MMO!
We're thousands of players are required to pick up a battery and fight mobs

Actually... that would be pretty cool.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Dark Knifer said:
I believe that in an Iwata Asks/interview for Animal Crossing: City Folk, the creator and director of the Animal Crossing series specifically said that he would highly object to the series being free-to-play as it would ruin the exploratory and discovery aspects of the core games. Of course, what the man wants and what happens are two entirely different things.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Speaking of free to play whatever happened to Ghost Recon Online?That was supposed to come out on Wii U wasn't it?

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
Dark Knifer said:
That'd be cool, but you know what would be cooler? If Nintendo made their own TF2 like game! That could be what Mr. Miyamoto is working on.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:
Evil Smurf said:
Dark Knifer said:
That'd be cool, but you know what would be cooler? If Nintendo made their own TF2 like game! That could be what Mr. Miyamoto is working on.
He did say once that he would like to make a FPS game Nintendo style [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117898-Shigeru-Miyamoto-Wants-to-Make-an-FPS].

I would like to see his idea of a good "first person game with guns". It's kinda hard to image what he would do. But the goofiness of TF2 is probably his style.

Catpcha:"He loves her"
Who capthca, who does Miyamoto love? Is it Yasuko? It must be Yasuko!

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Evil Smurf said:
Dark Knifer said:
He did say once that he would like to make a FPS game Nintendo style [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117898-Shigeru-Miyamoto-Wants-to-Make-an-FPS].

I would like to see his idea of a good "first person game with guns". It's kinda hard to image what he would do. But the goofiness of TF2 is probably his style.

Catpcha:"He loves her"
Who capthca, who does Miyamoto love? Is it Yasuko? It must be Yasuko!
The hats! Think of the hats! And it would make for the best super smash brawl characters.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
I think everyone is happy that it isn't pokemon. Just try to imagine it, pokeballs cost ridiculous much if you dont use the in game currency and the pc is limited to 6 pokemon.