Ubisoft Details Watch Dogs Multiplayer

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Ubisoft Details Watch Dogs Multiplayer

You're being hacked, Aiden, and not by the AI.

Ubisoft's dystopian future cyber warfare title Watch Dogs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/7450-Watch-Dogs-E3-Trailer] will have multiplayer, and the developer's gone into some detail telling the world how it will work. You'll always be Aiden, all the time, but so will everyone else; you just won't be able to tell, because all the other Aidens will be tagged with an NPC skin. Thus immersion is preserved, while at the same time allowing 'Aiden' to take center stage in the ongoing drama. Moreover it won't intrude into your ongoing story if you don't want it to, as it can be turned off, and in any event multiplayer is automatically disabled when you're on a mission.

"We see an alert on-screen saying Aiden is being hacked," Ubisoft describes in its blog post. "Quickly, the number jumps to 14% infiltration." What to do? Well, first you trace the hacker - no easy task - and then you've got to confront your opponent directly. If the virus installs before you can get in there and deal with your opponent, you've got a real problem on your hands. Or maybe you'd prefer something more subtle in your multiplayer, like just being on onlooker while the other player goes about the on-screen action. A little bit of cheerful griefing - like ramming his car with yours while he's driving around town - is also an option. Some multiplayer missions offer tasks like protecting another player while that player's on a mission, among other non-adversarial actions.

Watch Dogs is currently scheduled for a November 2013 release on current generation consoles and the Wii U, and will also be released on Xbox One and PS4 when the next generation finally launches.

Source: Ubisoft [http://blog.ubi.com/watch-dogs-multiplayer-e3-2013-preview/]

Xanex

Jun 18, 2012
It seems multi-player must be shoehorned into every single game now adays. Can't a game just be a great single player anymore?

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Xanex said:
It seems multi-player must be shoehorned into every single game now adays. Can't a game just be a great single player anymore?
I don't know. I think that including hacking in a game about hacking makes all kinds of sense.
I'm also happy that developers have started to include more indirect forms of multiplayer similar to what Demon's Souls did.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Xanex said:
To be honest this kind of multiplayer doesnt even look like it interferes with the single player, and its much better to have it this way then "Here is a seperate game mode where 12 guys just shoot eachother in the face".

They are all doing it like the Souls games where it is there but at the same time it kind of isnt and either way its fine to play the game, even in Dark Souls you can be invaded while playing offline by certain special enemies in certain areas somewhat replicating the online experience.

In The Division they first fight against NPCs and then against other players during the demo, maybe in offline mode there will be NPCs doing stuff that is supposed to be done by the human players replicating the idea that there are groups competing against you instead of just doing whatever it is NPCs do in that game

All in all I dont mind that much, I think that the pros and cons are really favoring the implementation of such system since that type of experience is usually quite interesting.

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
Xanex said:
I don't think this qualifies as "shoehorned" in. It looks like the developers put a lot of thought into their game about hacking, built multiplayer around that theme in a logical manner, intigrated it into the single player game so that it can effect your world and made it completely optional. That sounds like exactly the kind of multiplayer I would like to play.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Xanex said:
Normally I would agree with you, but this time it seems Ubisoft has actually given it a lot of thought and made it an interesting addition in the game world as opposed to "let's add some deathmatch and a CoD-style progression system" that most shoehorned multiplayers go for.

This seems to be much more of an "enhanced single player". The closest thing I can think of is Dark Souls, but at the same time not really like that at all. Either way, colour me intrigued!

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Eruanno said:
Xanex said:
Normally I would agree with you, but this time it seems Ubisoft has actually given it a lot of thought and made it an interesting addition in the game world as opposed to "let's add some deathmatch and a CoD-style progression system" that most shoehorned multiplayers go for.

This seems to be much more of an "enhanced single player". The closest thing I can think of is Dark Souls, but at the same time not really like that at all. Either way, colour me intrigued!
Agree completely. A large portion of gamers like the MMO style of large worlds with lots of people, but they don't want to be forced into relying on each other. This reminds me of AssCreed MP a tad, as it seems that players won't be name-tagged and appear as just part of the NPC world. This allows for a lot more variability in the game experience and chases with 'unpredictable AI' as it's actually a people! One of the most annoying things about games like this, say it's a game about hacking and distrust of security, though the AI can technically hack too you're essentially going to be "The One True HackLord." Even knowing that someone 'could' be out there, screwing with you is a great way to enforce the themes of the game.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Eruanno said:
Xanex said:

I second this opinion, nothing shoehorned about it.
Every day love this game more and more, the question isn't am I gettimg it, it's which console am I getting it for.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
This sounds to be an excellent idea. I really enjoyed Assassin's Creed multiplayer. When it was first announced, I thought it'd be a shitty gimmick that was just an attempt to jump on the MP bandwagon. Turns out I was as wrong as I could be. Thoroughly enjoyable gameplay, felt natural, interesting new gameplay that fit the style of game. If this fits Watch Dogs as well as it sounds and as well as AC's fit? An excellent decision.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
Eruanno said:
Xanex said:

same here

most forced MP is a COD clone, thats tacked on at somepoint like a off the shelf addon with a skin pack

this seems like someones said "what MP fits the game" and then tried to make it. worse comes to worse no one plays it, otherwise it could be another ASSCRED MP

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
My question is: can you turn it off?

If you can, awesome, this sounds like a great integration of multi- and singleplayer modes. It'll provide a bit of extra challenge, and if it gets too annoying, you can just turn it off and play the game. Or if you're having too much trouble with a particular sequence, you can message a friend and ask for a hand.

If you can't, well shit. I'll bet you won't be able to take two steps without some jackass trying to run you over for the first month or so. I'll pass, and pick it up after the numbers drop off a bit. There are times where you just want to play the game and not have to worry about H34D$h0TK1NG8008$ following you around and interrupting your hacks while yelling LOL!

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Tahaneira said:
Well if it's anything like the "multiplayer" in dark souls, if you can't turn it off, you can always just sign out/disconnect yourself.

In dark souls I sign out when I feel like I don't want to be invaded and just want to get across the damn forest.

MrWunderful

Filthy Console Peasant
May 27, 2013
Jamous said:
This sounds to be an excellent idea. I really enjoyed Assassin's Creed multiplayer. When it was first announced, I thought it'd be a shitty gimmick that was just an attempt to jump on the MP bandwagon. Turns out I was as wrong as I could be. Thoroughly enjoyable gameplay, felt natural, interesting new gameplay that fit the style of game. If this fits Watch Dogs as well as it sounds and as well as AC's fit? An excellent decision.
I agree 100%. I am always willing to try a multiplayer, but as soon as it turns into a "run around and shoot guys" with the same characters for the game, I abandon it. With AC series multiplayer it felt a lot more organic. I also enjoyed the leveling progression quite a bit.

I could see watchdogs having a cool leveling progression (faster hacking etc.) I just hope it stays somewhat balanced.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It sounds like it's exactly what I wanted it to be. I can't wait for this game. Mutliplayer that I can actually enjoy.

thelastgogeta

Oct 21, 2012
Tahaneira said:

If you can, awesome, this sounds like a great integration of multi- and singleplayer modes. It'll provide a bit of extra challenge, and if it gets too annoying, you can just turn it off and play the game. Or if you're having too much trouble with a particular sequence, you can message a friend and ask for a hand.

If you can't, well shit. I'll bet you won't be able to take two steps without some jackass trying to run you over for the first month or so. I'll pass, and pick it up after the numbers drop off a bit. There are times where you just want to play the game and not have to worry about H34D$h0TK1NG8008$ following you around and interrupting your hacks while yelling LOL!
You won't have to worry about H34D$h0TK1NG8008$, it says you can turn it off in the article (bolded below):

Karloff said:
Ubisoft's dystopian future cyber warfare title Watch Dogs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/7450-Watch-Dogs-E3-Trailer] will have multiplayer, and the developer's gone into some detail telling the world how it will work. You'll always be Aiden, all the time, but so will everyone else; you just won't be able to tell, because all the other Aidens will be tagged with an NPC skin. Thus immersion is preserved, while at the same time allowing 'Aiden' to take center stage in the ongoing drama. Moreover it won't intrude into your ongoing story if you don't want it to, as it can be turned off, and in any event multiplayer is automatically disabled when you're on a mission.
The rest of the line following the bolded suggests that it will be automatically off when you are doing story missions so don't expect to be interrupted often if you are rushing from story objective to story objective. It'll add a little more spice to the usual sandbox procrastination.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Dumb. Lazy. Might as well just play the GTA multiplayer at this point. Seriously, this could have been one of the few games to get away with full multiplayer integration, but now we're just back to the same shoehorning as everything else.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
thelastgogeta said:
*snippity snip*
And once again my problems are solved by basic reading comprehensions skills. (I'm smart, I swear. :p) Thanks for pointing me to it.

Well, then, this sounds like an awesome development. I'm looking forward to this game more and more.