Hands-On: Experience a Dark Fairy Tale With Puppeteer

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Hands-On: Experience a Dark Fairy Tale With Puppeteer

A surprising and darkly funny platformer.

Read Full Article

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
The head switching ability reminds me a lot of Kid Chameleon, from the Genesis era. Still looks cool!

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Excellent. Sounds like a good bit of fun. I'm really glad we're seeing so many new things for the opening of the next generation. I'll be honest, with how things have been going I really wasn't expecting it.

facade

Jul 18, 2009
Jamous said:
Excellent. Sounds like a good bit of fun. I'm really glad we're seeing so many new things for the opening of the next generation. I'll be honest, with how things have been going I really wasn't expecting it.
Just a minor nitpick. The game was announced for the PS3; this game is technically closing the old generation rather than opening the new one.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
Is it just me, or does this game scream "LittleBigPlanet"? Like.. it was literally made in LBP2, or at least used it as a jump off point.

That's not a dig, just an observation.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Keith K said:
Is it just me, or does this game scream "LittleBigPlanet"? Like.. it was literally made in LBP2, or at least used it as a jump off point.

That's not a dig, just an observation.
It's certainly tapping into the same kind of whimsy, but the humor is much more snarky and dark. Yin Yang, in particular, is a wonderful jerk.

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
What's the difference between a dark fairy tale and a fairy tale, aren't all fairy tales inherently dark - hell, most, if not all fairy tales in their original form either ended with everyone dead or wishing they were. If no one is even a little tortured by the end of Puppeteer, which I'm totally buying by the way, then I don't think it can be called a fairy tale, let alone a tautologically named "dark fairy tale."

And I don't think this looks too much like Little Big Planet at all, sure it graphically looks like a kindergarten level arts and craft project like anything Media Molecule makes; but I personally think this is just a creative as hell 2.5D sidescroller with it's own charm while LBP was a 3D platformer with the worlds worst camera which made it look jarringly similar to sidescroller. I think LBP is a hell of lot more charming than Puppeteer, but I feel Puppeteer looks like it will have better gameplay and potentially be more fun, in that it looks like movement and fluid control seems like a major focus.

Now I understand I'm in the minority of people who don't like LBP, the fact it wasn't a sidescroller and the game's stagnant camera that made it hard for me to tell if I was jumping in the right place, that shits me to tears; so when I say Puppeteer looks like a better game than what Media Molecule makes, you can tell where my opinions are coming from. In this I think I will enjoy Puppeteer far more than I did LBP.