New Super Luigi U to Feature Harder, Shorter Levels

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
New Super Luigi U to Feature Harder, Shorter Levels

Nintendo hopes New Super Luigi U will help change perceptions on DLC.

Poor Luigi. Since the very first Super Mario Bros. game he's been trapped playing second fiddle to his franchise label of a sibling. It's the sort of lot in life that leads to inferiority complexes and support groups. That said, Nintendo decided earlier this year to finally pay a bit of respect to Luigi, dedicating a whole year to him and announcing several new, Luigi-centric game releases. One title that tickled the fancy of many a Luigi fan <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122126-New-Super-Mario-Bros-U-Getting-Luigi-DLC>was New Super Luigi U, a DLC pack that would give players the chance to play as Luigi through a version of New Super Mario Brothers U altered to better fit his abilities. Now, Nintendo has revealed more details on exactly what players can expect from the Luigi version of the game.

According to Nintendo, the alternate courses made available by New Super Luigi U will be shorter in length but also more challenging than the ones from the original game. Nintendo hopes that the changes offered by the DLC will be large to help alter people's perception of downloadable content. "Most people think of downloadable content as just an add-on to a game- in Japanese you say 'add-on content,'" said Takashi Tezuka, general manager of EAD Software Development for Nintendo. "But New Super Luigi U is such a large-scale thing - it's like a completely different game."

Whether or not the changes will change perceptions, the increased challenge will certainly be a welcome treat for hardcore platforming fans. The shorter level length strikes me as a particularly smart move. One of the most frustrating things for me in a platformer is when I overcome a tough obstacle just to be killed fighting my way through the rest of a lengthy level. By shortening the stages a bit Nintendo could stand to hit that sweet spot where the experience is challenging but not frustrating.

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/14/4429110/new-super-luigi-u-remodels-82-courses-to-be-shorter-but-harder>Polygon

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
You know, I'm 41 years old. And there are times where I feel I've outgrown Nintendo. Times when I think they just don't offer games I'm eager to experience, or as is often the case with Ninty, experience again. But then they go and make something like this and it brings that kid inside of me out in a way that just wants to go "squeeee".

I do not own a WiiU as of yet. But they continue to chip away at my resolve with releases like this one. I'm still going to hold out and see how Pikmin turns out before I jump in. But well played Nintendo. You have me on the hook, now you just need to reel me in.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
StewShearer said:
According to Nintendo, the alternate courses made available by New Super Luigi U will be shorter in length but also more challenging than the ones from the original game. Nintendo hopes that the changes offered by the DLC will be large to help alter people's perception of downloadable content. "Most people think of downloadable content as just an add-on to a game- in Japanese you say 'add-on content,'" said Takashi Tezuka, general manager of EAD Software Development for Nintendo. "But New Super Luigi U is such a large-scale thing - it's like a completely different game."
So what he's saying is it's a true expansion pack?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Aiddon said:
kinda funny how Nintendo is actually doing DLC right despite being new to it.
Nintendo gets more likely to receive my money every day, while both Sony and Microsoft make me angrier. This is going to be an interesting generation, and an important one for consumer rights.

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
I'm tempted to skip Mario U and just buy this. It's cheaper, faster paced yet has the same amount of content.

On a side note, has anyone done this before?
Make a DLC so HUGE that it warrants its own full retail release?

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
suntt123 said:
I'm tempted to skip Mario U and just buy this. It's cheaper, faster paced yet has the same amount of content.

I think a couple of strategy games still do this.
Back before you could download stuff the Sims had physical ad-ons, and there's GTA: Liberty stories.

Basically any add-on content before this gen wasn't a DLC, it was called an expansion pack and unless it added at least an extra 50% to the base game and cost at least £10 it wouldn't be sold as extra content and instead just be incorporated into the game's sequel.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
ZZoMBiE13 said:
You know, I'm 41 years old. And there are times where I feel I've outgrown Nintendo. Times when I think they just don't offer games I'm eager to experience, or as is often the case with Ninty, experience again. But then they go and make something like this and it brings that kid inside of me out in a way that just wants to go "squeeee".

I do not own a WiiU as of yet. But they continue to chip away at my resolve with releases like this one. I'm still going to hold out and see how Pikmin turns out before I jump in. But well played Nintendo. You have me on the hook, now you just need to reel me in.
It's sad, I see the mentality of your first two sentences a lot among people my age as well(I'm 22 for reference) and in more extreme cases it even turns into contempt against me simply for enjoying Nintendo games still. Hell, I've had my 3DS taken from me and my Zelda cartridge thrown out a bus window because they were "liberating me from this kiddy shit so I'll man up and play a real game like CoD". I'm glad to see people start giving Nintendo more of their time, as they really do make quality games and actually treat people like people instead of living wallets. So let me just say thank you for being one of the people willing to give Nintendo a chance again :)

While I was already pretty much sold on Pikmin, the deal was officially sealed when I saw Shigeru Miyamoto's videos for Pikmin this E3. There's one that shows him playing one of the multiplayer modes, Bingo mode, and the joy on his face as he plays just instantly made me pre-order the game even though I don't have a Wii U yet(although I'm almost there, just got another $50 to go in my savings). If you haven't seen them, I recommend you check out Nintendo's YouTube channel. They also have developer interviews for the games they showed at E3, and in each you can tell just how much love and care they each put into their games.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Nintendo gets more likely to receive my money every day, while both Sony and Microsoft make me angrier. This is going to be an interesting generation, and an important one for consumer rights.
Mostly because they think like a toy company. The consumer has bought it, they own it. The only thing Nintendo cares about is actual piracy which SHOULD be stamped out. Nintendo has no beef with used games because they make sure customers don't WANT to sell their titles.

blizzaradragon said:
It's sad, I see the mentality of your first two sentences a lot among people my age as well(I'm 22 for reference) and in more extreme cases it even turns into contempt against me simply for enjoying Nintendo games still. Hell, I've had my 3DS taken from me and my Zelda cartridge thrown out a bus window because they were "liberating me from this kiddy shit so I'll man up and play a real game like CoD".
...you have GOT to be kidding me. What the hell is with the rampant insecurity among people in the gamersphere these days?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Aiddon said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Mostly because they think like a toy company. The consumer has bought it, they own it. The only thing Nintendo cares about is actual piracy which SHOULD be stamped out. Nintendo has no beef with used games because they make sure customers don't WANT to sell their titles.

blizzaradragon said:
It's sad, I see the mentality of your first two sentences a lot among people my age as well(I'm 22 for reference) and in more extreme cases it even turns into contempt against me simply for enjoying Nintendo games still. Hell, I've had my 3DS taken from me and my Zelda cartridge thrown out a bus window because they were "liberating me from this kiddy shit so I'll man up and play a real game like CoD".
...you have GOT to be kidding me. What the hell is with the rampant insecurity among people in the gamersphere these days?
I think your first statement answered the question in your second one: they're embarrassed to be playing with toys. Personally I revel in it, but a lot of gamers come across as insecure in their maturity, which is why we get things like "games as a storytelling medium" and "games as art," which in turn is why we get crappy "art games," that are neither good art nor good games.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
suntt123 said:

There have been standalone expansion packs in the past, yes. There was even a recent one in the form of Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
blizzaradragon said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:

It's sad, I see the mentality of your first two sentences a lot among people my age as well(I'm 22 for reference) and in more extreme cases it even turns into contempt against me simply for enjoying Nintendo games still. Hell, I've had my 3DS taken from me and my Zelda cartridge thrown out a bus window because they were "liberating me from this kiddy shit so I'll man up and play a real game like CoD". I'm glad to see people start giving Nintendo more of their time, as they really do make quality games and actually treat people like people instead of living wallets. So let me just say thank you for being one of the people willing to give Nintendo a chance again :)

While I was already pretty much sold on Pikmin, the deal was officially sealed when I saw Shigeru Miyamoto's videos for Pikmin this E3. There's one that shows him playing one of the multiplayer modes, Bingo mode, and the joy on his face as he plays just instantly made me pre-order the game even though I don't have a Wii U yet(although I'm almost there, just got another $50 to go in my savings). If you haven't seen them, I recommend you check out Nintendo's YouTube channel. They also have developer interviews for the games they showed at E3, and in each you can tell just how much love and care they each put into their games.
Even if I never played another Nintendo game ever (which won't happen since Kirby is pure digital joy), I still wouldn't want Nintendo to ever disappear. Just because my personal nostalgia gland has been milked dry doesn't mean I'd ever begrudge those who like their games. I like that Nintendo games exist, even when I don't want to play them. They are good for the industry as a whole, they are a great way to introduce kids to gaming (my daughter had a Gamecube and an O.G. Xbox) and even if I'm done discovering the morph ball, finding the hookshot, and saving the princess I'd never want to deny those experiences to people who still enjoy them. This is a tough crappy world. And Nintendo delivers digital joy to millions. And God bless them for doing it.

I can only speak to my experience. And for me, I'm only interested when they're trying something kind fun and out of the ordinary like this game or Pikmin or every Kirby game. But the core Nintendo franchises are still going strong for a reason. I don't know anyone stupid enough to deny that they are quality titles and if I met someone trying to say that they would be in for a serious dressing down.

Now if you'll excuse me, Animal Crossing is calling my name (literally) and I need to pick PEACHES. ;)

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
ZZoMBiE13 said:
blizzaradragon said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:

Even if I never played another Nintendo game ever (which won't happen since Kirby is pure digital joy), I still wouldn't want Nintendo to ever disappear. Just because my personal nostalgia gland has been milked dry doesn't mean I'd ever begrudge those who like their games. I like that Nintendo games exist, even when I don't want to play them. They are good for the industry as a whole, they are a great way to introduce kids to gaming (my daughter had a Gamecube and an O.G. Xbox) and even if I'm done discovering the morph ball, finding the hookshot, and saving the princess I'd never want to deny those experiences to people who still enjoy them. This is a tough crappy world. And Nintendo delivers digital joy to millions. And God bless them for doing it.

I can only speak to my experience. And for me, I'm only interested when they're trying something kind fun and out of the ordinary like this game or Pikmin or every Kirby game. But the core Nintendo franchises are still going strong for a reason. I don't know anyone stupid enough to deny that they are quality titles and if I met someone trying to say that they would be in for a serious dressing down.

Now if you'll excuse me, Animal Crossing is calling my name (literally) and I need to pick PEACHES. ;)
God bless you sir. I certainly do.