The Witcher 3 Features 36 Alternate Endings

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Witcher 3 Features 36 Alternate Endings

Bad news for completionists and achievement hunters, good news for gamers who like having their choices matter.

In an interview with The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt [http://www.onlysp.com/exclusive-interview-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-will-have-36-different-endings-no-load-times-and-more/]'s gameplay producer Marek Ziemak talked about multiple endings, load times, returning voice actors and differences between platforms.

The Witcher is known for being a very choice-driven series, for example, in The Witcher 2, the second act of the game was completely different depending on a choice you made in the first act. The Witcher 3 aims to continue this tradition by having 36 alternate endings. Ziemak said the goal of The Witcher 3 is to bring closure to Geralt's story, so it's nice to know that the story's end will be about your Geralt, not just the Geralt.

As for loading times? Well, there are none. "Thanks to new technology on RedEngine3, we were actually able to create a world without loading screens as you travel across the world," said Ziemak. When pointed out that the demo of the game shown at E3 suffered from some framerate issues, Ziemak assured us that "We didn't have everything fully optimized," and it will be fixed for the retail game.

For those of you who've gotten used to hearing Doug Cockle's gruff and gritty Geralt and John Schwab's soothing and well-spoken Dandelion, rest assured that the vast majority of voice actors from the previous games will be reprising their roles.

As for the console versions, Ziemak assures us that they are not merely "ports" of the PC version. "We're not actually porting the game. We were doing it multi-platform since the very beginning." He says the team's target is to release all three versions (PC, PS4, Xbox One) at the same time.

Lastly, a bit of good news for people like me who got thoroughly fed up with having to manually run Geralt from place to place in previous games. Quick travel is coming to The Witcher 3, and you'll be able to instantly warp to any location you've already visited!

Source: Only SP [http://www.onlysp.com/exclusive-interview-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-will-have-36-different-endings-no-load-times-and-more/]

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
So are these gonna' be 36 distinct and different endings or are they gonna' be "different endings" like Mass Effect 3 had?

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Revolutionary said:
So are these gonna' be 36 distinct and different endings or are they gonna' be "different endings" like Mass Effect 3 had?
The endings in the first two witcher games actually took into account choices you made throughout the game and were pretty distinct, so i'm hopeful for these!

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
CD Projekt are trying to kill me, aren't they? As a rabid completionist, I am going to have to see all 36 endings.
Not sure I will use the quick travel too much as it is an immersion-breaker, but it is nice to know the choice is there.

Revolutionary said:
A fair question, and going by the alternate endings of TW2, I would say there are likely to be several major groups of endings that are extremely different to endings in the other groups, but with only minor differences within each group.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Revolutionary said:
If you played Witcher 2, you could have a good idea of what is in stock. Entirely different second acts and then major changes to third acts depending on who you aided/fucked/screwed over in the last two, with compounding consequences.

Pretty much what ME3 promised but failed to deliver on.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
infohippie said:
CD Projekt are trying to kill me, aren't they? As a rabid completionist, I am going to have to see all 36 endings.
Just watch all the ending on youtube :D

I'm interested in this game, I'll wait for the reviews to buy it or not.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
Forgive me if I remain completely cold to this announcment. It just sounds too fucking good to be true.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Durgiun said:
Forgive me if I remain completely cold to this announcement. It just sounds too fucking good to be true.
Yeah same, I have no doubts that this game will be good, but the more they keep saying, the more I think they're coming down with Molyneux Syndrome.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
36 endings?

36 FUCKING ENDINGS?
I truly haven't heard of anywhere near this many endings since Squares Play Station and SNES glory days.
Man, if those are all unique and different, than I'm certainly impressed.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
On a less serious note: Until I can cross-dress like I can in Fable, I don't really care.

On a more serious note: So, it'll use all of the choices you made in the previous games and make it all into one big ending that needed THREE GAMES to come. It seems pointless, 1+2 had choices where choices genuinely not needed.

Does that mean I'll get a bag ending if I make Geralt wear a sun-hat and a 1920's dress? I hope not.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
It makes me wish I could stand playing the first one, I have a save file from 2 I can carry but it doesn't have a finished 1 game involved in it. There's no way I'm playing it 36 times though, maybe 3 or 4 and then off to youtube to see what could have been.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
My bet is that there will be 3 endings with 12 variations to each depending on choices made throughout the games.

The fact that the game is being developed for all platforms is not very reassuring, but CD-Projekt haven't disappointed me so far, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I don't think I'm going to have an issue with variety, even if it really is 3 or so endings with little details changed. It'll be really interesting to try and piece together why you got a certain ending and how. Even better when talking about it with your friends!

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Very, very cool. I know it's not 36 completely different endings but based on the quality of the first two games, I'm sure we won't be let down.

Amakusa

Jul 12, 2012
As long as it isn't like the ending system of Mass effect 3, i'll be a very very happy camper. Please don't let me down heh.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
gibboss28 said:
Durgiun said:
Forgive me if I remain completely cold to this announcement. It just sounds too fucking good to be true.
Yeah same, I have no doubts that this game will be good, but the more they keep saying, the more I think they're coming down with Molyneux Syndrome.
Mostly every promise CD Projekt Red have made comes true and thus have way more credibility than Mr. Hype... So I am about 90% certain they will keep their promise. The worse case I can see is the 36 endings could be cut down to half or some have only minor differences.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
SpunkeyMonkey said:
Hats off to them for trying! I would say this will be a likely case......

Doom972 said:
My bet is that there will be 3 endings with 12 variations to each depending on
choices made throughout the games.

The fact that the game is being developed for all platforms is not very reassuring, but CD-Projekt haven't disappointed me so far, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
..........but t hat said it's still shit-hot.

Bioware's crown looks like it's about to be well and truly stolen.
Bioware slowly died after the EA acquisition and is now only a name with EA developers and no one that actually made Bioware what it was is even there anymore... If they can bring in some new good talent and not have them hounded by time constraints, forced budgets, and investors brining in their stupid opinions then they could possibly make a comeback...

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
I saw the E3 stuff from the witcher 3, and it looked awesome.

All the more sad that i found Witcher 2 boring as hell, i couldn't get myself to get through the opening missions.

Ah well, maybe i should give it another shot.