Xbox President Says World Has Changed From Offline to Online

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Xbox President Says World Has Changed From Offline to Online

Don Mattrick says the advantages of always being connected to the internet can be seen in smartphones, tablets and PCs.

Don Mattrick, the president of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business, has taken a very "damn the torpedoes" approach to the Xbox One, specifically with regard to its almost-always-on internet requirement. It's a strategy that may ultimately pay off for Microsoft if it can sell its vision of the future to the console-buying public but for now it's just alienating core gamers and baffling those of us who wonder why the company isn't moving quickly to soften its message.

Mattrick's E3 interview with the BBC isn't likely going to change that perception. "Being connected to the cloud is going to allow creators to make worlds that are alive. They're going to have communities, you're going to be able to interact with your friends, they're going to be rich, changing, vibrant, in real-time," he said.

"The world has changed from offline devices to online devices," he continued. "If you think about how your smartphone works, how your tablet works, how your computer works, having an internet connection allows it to stay current, allows it to stay vibrant and plugged in to that community."

There's no question that the world has changed but Mattrick's comments miss the mark rather widely. Being connected is great, but being able to function while disconnected is pretty awesome too - and that's something that phones, tablets and PCs will all happily do (minus things like making phone calls or surfing the net, obviously) when they're not connected. They don't just stop working if they go more than a day without phoning home - a mighty difference between the Xbox One and everything else out there.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22934626]

Nov 28, 2007
Microsoft...at this point, silence was truly your best PR. Maybe you should revert to that instead of implying your customers are the ones out of touch with reality. If gamers are upset over something you are doing, don't tell them they don't understand how the real world works. They have a better grasp of it than you do from your high-rise office.

Also, does the phrase "Playstation 4 preorders outselling Xbox One preorders on an 8 to 1 ratio" mean anything to you? You know, as if you were doing something wrong and should SHUT THE FUCK UP?!

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I'm really getting sick of this "the future is online!" bullshit excuse. If we don't NEED to be online then we don't want it. It's like saying the future isn't in ownership but in this licensing bull. I don't care how many people are connected, people still want to own things and be able to use them without being connected

Could anyone have predicted this? That the Internet would be used to hinder us rather than help?

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Mr. Mattick, allow me to offer one of my favorite philosophies in situations like this...

"Provide the OPTION, do not force the NEED."

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I love how even non-gamers are hearing about this mess now.

My sister who has no interest in games knew every detail of the Xbone E3 nightmare just based on what she saw on Tumbler.

Caprica: three short words (F**k you Microsoft)

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Jack. Go take a hike.

Literally take a hike.

And don't come back until you've walked from the western shores of Alaska to the eastern shores of the Northwest Territories, the width of Sieberia, and from northeast Sahara to the African Horn down to the Cape.

After you've done that, feel free to reconsider how "online" the world is.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
And Sony's best PR opens his gaping hole again.

As you pointed out, when using these others devices, we can use then when we're not online. Give us the ability to that Microsoft, and maybe that would help with the comparisons.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
I'm hearing echoes of "No one plays single games anymore. Multiplayer is how people want to game," Then Skyrim came out.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I... I can't believe this guy. Seriously, how can one man have no idea what's actually going on? My PC is connected to my internet almost all of the time. I use the connectivity to surf the net, watch videos and consume other media. Do you know, Mr. Mattrick, what I do when I lose my internet connection? I PLAY MY PC GAMES! Do you know, Mr. Mattrick, what I do with my tablet and smartphone when I don't have 4G access or WIFI? I PLAY THE GAMES I PUT ON THEM!

Mr. Mattrick, we are not stupid. This online connectivity is a game authentication scheme. It has nothing, at all, to do with persistent worlds, or meeting up and sharing with friends on line. And every time you spew that BS at us and expect that we'll lap it up like you've descended from on high with it written on stone tablets, it just pisses us off more. Just come out and say the truth. AAA gaming cannot support itself and needs to limit and control how consumers buy, trade and use their software so their margins can increase because they cannot fathom how to properly manage their products. At least then we could at least respect your honesty. Trying to spin screwing us over as some kind of benefit is just making us pissed!

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Funny thing about comparing it to a computer, does the Xbone do anything a computer can't do? $500 can get you a decent gaming computer nowadays, and they don't have the Kinect spying on you.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
When are these idiots in suits going to realise one minor detail.

Yes phones, tablets and the like are always connected. Guess what though? They don't stop working if you aren't connected. They do not force a constant connection on you.

If only they could grasp that simple detail and stop using it as an excuse to explain this crap when in reality that is not how the "always on" world actually works.

My iPad works without wifi, my kindle works without wifi, my phone works without wifi. Xbone will not. See the difference there Don?

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Oh Jesus Nipple-Tweaking Scrotum-Gargling Christ! He just can't fucking stop!

This guy... is he a plant by Sony? A sleeper agent designed to bring the Xbox down from the inside? I think he might be.

Mr Mattrick, there is a difference, an important difference, between 'Can be used online' and 'must be used online'. This difference matters to the hundreds of millions of people across the globe who still either have no internet connection at all, or an intermittent and unstable one. You've climbed so high up your 4G ivory tower that you can't see what the world looks like from ground level anymore. PC's and tablets wouldn't sell very well if they couldn't even perform basic functions without an internet connection, and neither will the Xbox ONE.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Nooners said:
Mr. Mattick, allow me to offer one of my favorite philosophies in situations like this...

"Provide the OPTION, do not force the NEED."
Yeah, when he was taught the old adage about marketing, "create a need, then provide a product", I think he massively misunderstood.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
The problem is that constant online connections aren't as prolific as people like Mattrick like to believe. I don't know what the hell it is, but it almost seems like gaming consoles (except for Nintendo's) are trying to become MORE difficult to get into with stuff like this.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Anyone else get a very strong, spontaneous urge to punch their screen every time they see this picture?

I don't know about you guys, but seeing Mattrick's smiling face as he's like "Hello, I'm Don Mattrick, and this is my Fuck The Consumer Box" makes me seriously have to control myself lest I break something I'd immediately regret breaking.

Captcha: "Do Not Touch". HA!