Take A Look At Microsoft's Official Xbox One Headset

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Take A Look At Microsoft's Official Xbox One Headset

Images of the Xbox One's first-party headset have emerged and it's not too far from the system that shipped with the Xbox 360.

That image you see at right is the Xbox One's official headset. It's a monoraul device that features a "unidirectional microphone" and "wideband digital audio." Both of these terms are efforts by Microsoft's marketing team to make utterly standard features seem somehow more special.

In the realm of new, arguably impressive features, the headset does include a few. According to Gamespot, "players will be able to access mute and volume controls without taking their hands off the controller." Further, Microsoft claims that the headset comes equipped with a large battery that should keep it charged for an extended period of time. When it does run out of juice, the battery can be recharged in as little as four hours, either during gameplay or while your Xbox One is "off."

The company has chosen an interesting moment in which to debut this headset, as it's currently busy justifying the $499 price point it announced for the Xbox One at E3 2013. With Sony's PlayStation 4 priced at a comparatively frugal $399, Microsoft has been backed into a corner, forcing Xbox division head Don Mattrick to defend the decision.

"We're over-delivering value against other choices I think consumers can get," Mattrick claims. "Any modern product these days you look at it ... $499 isn't a ridiculous price point. We're delivering thousands of dollars of value to people, so I think they're going to love it when they use it."

With those words in mind, we invite you to please visit the comments section below and enjoy airing your thoughts on the Xbox One's headset.

Source: Gamespot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-headset-revealed-6410353]

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
So does it come with the Xbox One in box? Other wise the "We're over-delivering value against other choices I think consumers can get," line seems a bit unrelated to the mic itself.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
For my Xbox 360 I've had 3 different Headsets so far, I lost one and broke another. I don't what it is but I've never been able to take good care of them. By just looking at it I can tell I will have to be super careful when I buy one of those things.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Whoa whoa whoa...I'm confused and maybe I'm just dumb but what are the batteries for? It looks wired so I don't believe it's wireless...or when he talks about the batteries, is he referring to the controller? It says that the headset comes with the batteries so I presume he's referring to the headset...

Anyway, shouldn't it have the poofy thing on the end? Where's my poofy thing!?!

Ruley

Sep 3, 2010
The thing is, it looks sleek and professional but i bet it feels cheap and plasticy. I had a wireless 360 headset which is still with me today (3 years), that one felt more solid than the standard wired 360 headset.

I don't think its enough, my any stretch of the imagination. Bluetooth would have helped, i have a better logitech headset i'd have wanted to use.

Oh well, still the PS4

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
I thought the headset on the 360 ran off the controller battery. How much power could this one possibly need to use its own battery, since I see a cord there under the microphone, meaning it will plug in to the controller?

cahtush

Jul 7, 2010
Why does it only have one speaker?

"We're over-delivering value against other choices I think consumers can get," Mattrick claims. "Any modern product these days you look at it ... $499 isn't a ridiculous price point. We're delivering thousands of dollars of value to people, so I think they're going to love it when they use it."
Oh Don you silly silly sod.
Why can't you just learn to keep your mouth shut?

Kataskopo

Dec 18, 2009
I think there's a typo on the article, on the second sentence it's says they use a raul-based technology "monoraul" instead of the more widespread monoaural one. :D

Really, none of this new consoles make me actually want to buy them. Those kind of statements from Microsoft seem really out of touch.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
That isn't the Xbone headset, it's the 'electrodigital audio delivery mechanotron'.

And I can't help but disbelieve the idea that the Xbone delivers thousands of dollars of value for $500, unless they mean all of the stuff you pay extra for. Then yes, it delivers thousands of dollars of value. Mostly TV.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Drop the internet requirement, kinect and the price down to $399 and I might give a $%!# as I don't buy either new console. I'll just spend that much on an awesome video card and be happier.

With the big two being x86 based I'll be very surprised if we don't see more games on Steam 6 months later if not simultaneously released.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
That thing looks hella uncomfortable.

What's the likelihood that Microsoft is going to break down the Xbox One into as many individual components as possible and sell them all off separately at expensive prices? Just like they did with the wireless receiver for the 360.

You're probably just getting a fancy plastic shell for your $499.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Does Sony pack a headset in the box now? My phat PS3 didn't have one. Anyone know about the PS4?

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
"BRAND NEW HEADSET!"
[sub][sub]It's the 360 headset with a new coat of paint[/sub][/sub]

"NOW WITH MONOAURAL SOUND SYSTEM"
[sub][sub]It only has one earphone[/sub][/sub]

"GET ONE NOW"
[sub][sub]Because we didn't include it with the console[/sub][/sub]

Is Micro$oft even trying anymore? This has to be a parody. Someone is hijacking every single press release Microsoft is making and twisting it into something stupid. That has to be it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
so, if somebody on teamchat yells "MUTE" loud enough, will that disable everybody's headsets?

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Does Sony pack a headset in the box now? My phat PS3 didn't have one. Anyone know about the PS4?
Yes, to my knowledge.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/06/14/hands-on-impressions-dualshock-4/