Witcher 3's DLC Will Be As Free As Possible

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Witcher 3's DLC Will Be As Free As Possible

CD Projekt aims to continue their policy of free updates, though console makers have the final call.

The first two Witcher games were supported long after their initial releases, as developer CD Projekt Red addressed common complaints and sometimes made major changes without asking a dime of their fans. The studio would like to do the same with Witcher 3, but the game's launch on next-gen consoles may cause trouble in that department. CD Projekt boss Marcin Iwinski explains that he's doing everything he can to find "the most gamer-friendly solution."

The PC has always been CD Projekt's home turf, and Witcher 3 will release on GOG with no DRM and the guarantee of free DLC and updates. Consoles are more problematic because that's a market that traditionally prefers to monetize post-release content. "There are different business models on consoles," Iwinski says. "From our standpoint, we'll definitely do everything we can to deliver the same experience across all platforms." That means console gamers can expect free DLC if possible, but that decision comes down to the manufacturers who control the consoles' respective digital download networks.

Iwinski admits that he's heard some uproar that Witcher 3 is even coming to the Xbox One, whose notorious DRM is everything CD Projekt has been fighting against for years. He responded that even though the studio is still firmly anti-DRM, that's no reason to alienate gamers. "There are people who'll be fine with [the Xbox One's DRM]. They'll buy the console and just want to play. Why should we not give them this option?"

Source: Rock Paper Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/17/cdp-on-free-witcher-dlc-next-gen-drm-concerns/]

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I just love how positive their attitude is towards everything. They just try to do the best they can with what they have. I wish more people went through life with this sort of mentality

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
God bless these people. And may God shove a cactus up the butts of any people who pirate their games.

Xukog

May 21, 2011
.....I feel bad that I have yet to buy one of their games,people with this kind of attitude deserve support.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Cognimancer said:
"From our standpoint, we'll definitely do everything we can to deliver the same experience across all platforms."
Well I certainly hope that's not true in Poland, because the PC gamers won't want the Xbone experience there.
you mean won't have

as in the xbone doesn't work in poland at launch

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well yeah console makers will have you over a barrel trying to patch things, so just make large content packs at the appropriate price... there is really nothing to complain about that.

Sure things worked out differently with Witcher 2 but to be honest that game came out disjointed so that Enhanced edition was quite necessary.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I wish other publishers would realise why CD Projekt has such a loyal fanbase. I love these guys.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
weirdguy said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Cognimancer said:
"From our standpoint, we'll definitely do everything we can to deliver the same experience across all platforms."
Well I certainly hope that's not true in Poland, because the PC gamers won't want the Xbone experience there.
you mean won't have

as in the xbone doesn't work in poland at launch
No, won't want because the Xbox experience is shitty for PC gamers. Although you're right, the Xbone won't be an option.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
How noble of them. I say it's rare to see such principles. Wait isn't Poland not getting Xbox One? I can't recall what countries will be getting it off the top of my head.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
CD projekt are a shining example in the games industry, I wish more publishers would implement similar policies.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
That's why I have the utmost respect for these guys, they really get it and are all for what gamers want and not the other way around.

Bravo, CDPR, keep being awesome!

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
CDPR - solely putting Poland back on the map for America.

If you were to have a timeline of everything CDPR does and a timeline of everything EA does you will notice that EA does something and CDPR does the exact opposite within 3 months after. It's almost like they... I don't know... REACT to how the market evolves rather than trying to force it to mutate in different ways.