Shadowrun Returns, But Not This Month

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Shadowrun Returns, But Not This Month

Shadowrun Returns has been pushed back again, but just for a few weeks this time - and it will include a nice bonus when it arrives.

Shadowrun Returns, Harebrained Schemes' reboot of the classic RPG franchise, has suffered another delay, albeit only a brief one: Instead of coming out this month as planned, it will be turned loose on July 25, just a little more than a month from now. The upside to the delay is that the editor will ship with all the files used in the game's single-player campaign.

"The idea of releasing all of the editor files for the Shadowrun Returns campaign was based on my experience working with Trent Reznor on the Alternate Reality Game (ARG) for his album Year Zero. Trent empowered his fans to re-mix his music anyway they wished by releasing the GarageBand tracks with the album," Harebrained Schemes boss Jordan Weisman said. "With Shadowrun Returns we are doing the same thing, players can start from what we have created and build on it, revise it, or use it as a starting point for completely new stories. I believe we are the first to release an editable version of an entire campaign, and we are excited to see where the players take this universe."

Shadowrun Returns raised over $1.8 million on Steam [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts]. Versions of the game are also being developed for iOS and Android tablets.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Oh shit, I need to stop ignoring my Kickstarter emails. I didn't even realize it was supposed to be released so soon already!

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
They totally just raised the bar for games with map editors. Blizzard, start releasing campaign files! Or better yet, stop banning people from remaking SC1 campaigns...

Tyranicus

Feb 8, 2008
Ah hell that's 6 days before my wedding I was counting on it this month. Eador can only keep me busy for so long.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
TiberiusEsuriens said:
They totally just raised the bar for games with map editors. Blizzard, start releasing campaign files! Or better yet, stop banning people from remaking SC1 campaigns...
The fuck?? They've been banning people for remaking SC1 campaigns? What's their rationale for that?

As for Shadowrun Returns being released with everything, I'm actually not surprised. As I've followed the development of this game through Kickstarter, it's become apparent that Jordan Weisman and his cohorts are REALLY awesome and want people to use this game as a platform for awesomeness for a looooong time.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
"Someone pick up that phone, because I. FUCKING. CAAAAALLLED IIITT!"

On one hand, level editor.
On the other hand, my gaming drought continues.

fwiffo

Sep 12, 2011
Great news this is launching with the level editor. If you wait too long for it (like torchlight 2), it can become less relevant. As someone who still has shadowrun books around somewhere, I can't be more excited for this.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
No mention of the Linux version they said they'd be releasing? Shame, I was hoping it would launch with all the other OS's (it still might).

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
dakkster said:
TiberiusEsuriens said:
The fuck?? They've been banning people for remaking SC1 campaigns? What's their rationale for that?

As for Shadowrun Returns being released with everything, I'm actually not surprised. As I've followed the development of this game through Kickstarter, it's become apparent that Jordan Weisman and his cohorts are REALLY awesome and want people to use this game as a platform for awesomeness for a looooong time.
To clarify, about a year ago a group of people released the complete Terran campaign from vanilla SC1 remade in SC2 map editor. For a very short time it was available in the custom maps but Blizz took it down. They didn't ban the players, just removed the map. You can still find the map pack floating around the internet. They were ~1/2 way through with the vanilla zerg campaign when it happened, but I believe it was enough of a publicity loss that they shelved the project.

For me mostly-all would be forgiven if Blizz just released an official remake themselves. I think the problem was that while they thought it was really cool, at first people thought it was official when it wasn't (plus would-be legal issues).

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Jordan Weisman said. "... I believe we are the first to release an editable version of an entire campaign, and we are excited to see where the players take this universe."

I think he means other than Bethesda and their Fallout and TES games... looks good, I'll probably get it if I can remember to in a month.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
THANK STEVE this got pushed back!

Had it been released this month I would have failed roughly 5-6 exams, studying might be important (no it's not) and build up your future (no it doesn't, maybe 2% of it is relevant) but Shadowrun takes precedent over anything else. So thankfully this will not be released until I have nothing else to do :)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Kind of funny since we've been seeing level builders/editors as far back as games like "Lode Runner", and even have Cryptic doing it with MMOs (Neverwinter, Star Trek Online) albeit you can't edit the main campaigns in those. I won't hold it against the game, but I find it kind of annoying when developers try and promote things like this as "new and revolutionary".

That said, I pre-ordered this game for myself off their site, and bought it for my Dad (via Steam) for Father's Day as he's a fan of "Shadowrun" going way back. I have to admit I'm kind of annoyed by this delay over the editor, as that seems like something they could patch in, especially over STEAM, after release. I suppose it's only one pushback, but I get tired of video game releases where a company gives a date, and then we go chasing it one delay after another for god knows how long. There are always excuses, some good, some not so good, and some making you wonder if it's actually the truth.

No biggie I suppose, but I guess I'd be lying if I didn't say I was disappointed. This and "Grimoire" both got pushed back, Grimoire at least had the excuse of one guy working on it though I guess (and you know, it's been pushed back for like 17 years already). I was kind of hoping to have Shadowrun and Grimoire by now to play single player until "Wasteland 2" hits in October (and I dread the delays on that one given the anticipation). Ah well, if MMO burn out continues maybe I'll do another "Bioshock Infinite" playthrough, I missed a bunch of collectibles.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
TiberiusEsuriens said:
For me mostly-all would be forgiven if Blizz just released an official remake themselves. I think the problem was that while they thought it was really cool, at first people thought it was official when it wasn't (plus would-be legal issues).
I don't see what possible legal issues could arise, considering that Blizzard lays claim of full ownership over anything you do with the SC2 map editor.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
the official website actually has a post linking to groups that have gotten early access to the level editor. One is trying to remake the SNES game using the SRR level editor.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Aiddon said:
the official website actually has a post linking to groups that have gotten early access to the level editor. One is trying to remake the SNES game using the SRR level editor.
Now if only someone would remake the Sega Genesis version of it...

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
Bah, I wanted it now! But it's okay...Just lets me have something in July to look forward too.