GameStop Halts Xbox One Preorders

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
GameStop Halts Xbox One Preorders

GameStop has reportedly already hit its Xbox One launch-day allocation.

GameStop outlets in the U.S. are no longer taking preorders for the upcoming Xbox One, having burned through its entire allotment of the "Xbox One Day One Edition." Multiple stores confirmed the situation with Polygon, stating that the order came down from on high to all stores in the country.

It's both good news and bad news for Microsoft: Good news because it means that people are still interested in the Xbox One despite a less-than-stellar showing at E3, and bad news because the per-store allocations appear to be fairly small, especially when compared to numbers for Sony's PlayStation 4. "We were only given an allocation of 16 Xbox Ones but we have 60 PlayStation 4s and we're still taking orders," the manager of a Calfornia-based store said.

The Xbox One is still several months away and Microsoft could increase allocations or shift inventory; it's also possible that the company was aiming low with its initial allocations, although I certainly don't mean to imply that any kind of shenanigans are afoot. GameStop also confirmed that while in-store reservations are no longer being taken, customers can still place preorders through the GameStop website.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/19/4445098/gamestop-hits-xbox-one-launch-cap-ceases-pre-orders]

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Just remember before you start screaming about people's stupidity... 16 xboxes for each 60 PS4. 4 to 15, I believe is the ratio.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Chessrook44 said:
Just remember before you start screaming about people's stupidity... 16 xboxes for each 60 PS4. 4 to 15, I believe is the ratio.
That ratio would be more telling if Microsoft actually had a much higher allocation on pre-orders and only successfully filled 16.

Apr 28, 2008
"Our new console will be the best, it will change the world, it will sell millions, it will win the next generation!"

"How many did you make?"

"Uh, seven..."

Bix96

Oct 10, 2012
So the Xbox One only gets about a quarter of the pre-order slots the PS4 has? With this and that whole anti-xbone flyer campaign it really seems like GameStop is shaking hands with Microsoft while holding a dagger behind their back.

kogane

Apr 11, 2009
I'm guessing it has something to do with what they think their servers will be able to handle during first launch? ... ... wait, that sounds way too logical.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Bix96 said:
So the Xbox One only gets about a quarter of the pre-order slots the PS4 has? With this and that whole anti-xbone flyer campaign it really seems like GameStop is shaking hands with Microsoft while holding a dagger behind their back.
its not just how many Gamestop are willing to sell, its also about how many they are being supplied, and Sony is confident enough to supply more hence why there are more for gamestop to sell

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
kogane said:
I'm guessing it has something to do with what they think their servers will be able to handle during first launch? ... ... wait, that sounds way too logical.
That does make a lot of sense. That there will be massive stress on the MS servers on day one is a certainty, with everyone not only having to connect but also making downloading any patches that are available plus making the obligatory "Hey, I got a new console so I'll download something for it" purchases. Strictly limiting the number of units that are actually out in people's hands would be a much better and more controllable way to control traffic rather than trying to temporarily beef up your network infrastructure in hopes you've got enough to keep things from lagging or crashing.

glorysbain

Dec 24, 2009
My gamestop had over 50 preorders for the x1. (Full disclosure, I work there) more ps4 units are available overall though

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
There's been a persistent rumour on Neogaf that Xbone production is slow because Microsoft and AMD were having big problems getting good yields in manufacturing. The rumour also states the the production Xbone will have a much slower GPU clock speed than originally intended due to this as well, since it's easier to get lower performing chips.

The roots cause being that the Xbone is a large chip, the CPU/GPU and 32mb eSRAM all being present (to increasing caching speed when using DDR3 RAM). Microsoft have come out and specifically denied this, but having sixteen consoles projected to be available at launch in LA makes it sound highly plausible.

Sony on the hand, are rumoured to be using a chip much closer to AMD standard offered spec, whatever that may be...

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
Sounds like MS just wanted to have headlines that sound nice when they read "Xbox One preorders sold out". Meh, at this point, I'll let MS do their thing, and keep my eye on the Wii U or PS4, or just consider sprucing up my PC a bit more.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Again, didn't this happen when PS3 launched? High price and low number of units available. CEO/PR claiming it's great despite the backlash. Deja vu, seriously.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
When I saw this thread, I was hopelessly optimistic that Microsoft had unlodged their heads from their asses and did away with their used game policy thing.

If I can be honest for a moment, I really don't mind the check-in-with-"daddy"-once-every-24hrs thing. It's their policy on used games that nerfs me to no end.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Arawn said:
Again, didn't this happen when PS3 launched? High price and low number of units available. CEO/PR claiming it's great despite the backlash. Deja vu, seriously.
Yeah, exactly! Only now, it's the other way around. Of course, Sony didn't implement an used game policy that would make Hitler do a double take or made us check in with "daddy" once every 24 hours.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
This whole "people who buy a xbone are idiots" reaction is retarded. They just see what the console gives, and they want it. They are not stupid for wanting an xbone, just they dont give a shit about the issues others think are terrible. So really, stop insulting people that by the xbone just because you dont like it. I really dont like any Nintendo consoles or 1st party games, but i wouldnt say people that buy Wii or WiiU are idiots. Just thats its a console they want. Like those that pre order the xbone, they want it, and all the things people state are negatives, they dont care.

Sorry for the rant. I would think Gamestop would be a preferred Xbone 2nd hand game seller by MS, they have shops across america to make them viable. If they are not chosen by MS to sell 2nd hand games then Gamestop will just not stock the games or hardware. They say companies dont make much money selling new games and consoles, so why would they sell MS stuff in store if its not making them money?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
How many of those pre-orders are people who will be selling them on eBay at an inflated price? I'm guessing many.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
SonOfVoorhees said:
Sorry for the rant. I would think Gamestop would be a preferred Xbone 2nd hand game seller by MS, they have shops across america to make them viable.
I think Gamestop may be angling to be the only approved re-seller on the North American continent. Certainly they (and Microsoft) will be looking for an opportunity to cut Ebay and peer to peer sales out of the loop.