EVE Online Gains New System Requirements Next Month

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
EVE Online Gains New System Requirements Next Month

CCP Games is about to roll out a new set of minimum and recommended system specifications for EVE Online. Read on lest you be blindsided.

This morning CCP Games posted an entry on the official EVE Online blog, which states that the game's system requirements will be changing, come July 10. Helpfully CCP also outlined what the new requirements will look like. To wit:

Minimum: OS: Windows XP Service Pack 2 / Vista / 7 / 8, CPU: Intel Dual Core @ 2.0 GHz, AMD Dual Core @ 2.0 GHz, RAM: XP SP2 - 1 GB / Vista and newer - 2 GB, AMD Radeon 2600 XT or NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS

Recommended: OS: Windows 7 / 8, CPU: Intel Pentium i7 Series or AMD X4 @ 2.0 GHz or greater, RAM: 4 GB or higher, AMD Radeon 6790 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 or better with at least 1 GB VRAM

As you could probably guess, those are the Windows system specs but CCP also offers Apple-flavored numbers:

Minimum: OS: Mac OS X 10.6.7, CPU: Intel Dual Core @ 2.0 GHz, RAM: 2 GB, NVIDIA Geforce 320m, Intel HD 3000

Recommended: OS: Mac OS X 10.8.2, CPU: Intel Core i Series @ 3.0 GHz or greater, RAM: 8 GB or higher, Video: NVIDIA GeForce 675mx or better with at least 1 GB VRAM

You may notice that these aren't huge changes over the game's current specs. Any MMO wants to attract as large a playerbase as possible, and that means catering to people with really low-end computers. By gradually increasing the game's necessary horsepower CCP can ensure that its potential customers aren't forced to repeatedly upgrade their computers just to subscribe to CCP's magnum opus.

A full rundown of the upcoming changes scheduled to hit EVE can be found on the game's official site [http://community.eveonline.com/support/knowledge-base/article.aspx?articleId=124].

Source: Ten Ton Hammer [https://www.tentonhammer.com/eve/news/ccp-changing-system-requirements-for-eve-on-july-10th?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss]

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Good to know my 660ti PE can manage this along with having 4gb DDR3 and my current CPU being a first gen 17 at 2.7ghz.

Still I'm going to need an upgrade before years end for next years games.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Ya CCP knows that most of their player base is willing to upgrade to keep playing. I don't think it could be done with MMOs like WoW etc but the Eve Playerbase is pretty hardcore

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
synobal said:
Ya CCP knows that most of their player base is willing to upgrade to keep playing. I don't think it could be done with MMOs like WoW etc but the Eve Playerbase is pretty hardcore

That's nonsense. WoW has been gradually increasing it's requirements as well. Compare a screenshot of vanilla to mop and the difference is huge.

Much higher res textures, dynamic shadows, water effects, MUCH higher poly models.

It's to be expected from MMOs that have been going on for as long as these two have.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Might not seem like big changes to Mr. Cavalli but PVE was satisfyingly playable on a 7300m. This was my go-to MMO whenever I needed to burn some months. Oh well, I'm still holding hope for the EVEMUD.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Good thing I learned this now, I was gonna subscribe to EVE, but I don't like the idea of sitting so close to the minimum requirements.