Magrunner: Dark Pulse Channels Portal Fhtagn

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Magrunner: Dark Pulse Channels Portal Fhtagn

Magrunner: Dark Pulse, the game that combines Portal-style puzzles with the mind-melting horrors of the Cthulhu Mythos, launches today.

One of the great things about indie game development is that instead of relentless focus testing and safe sequelization, somebody can say, "Hey! Let's make a game like Portal, but with Lovecraft!" and next thing you know, bam! You're playing Magrunner: Dark Pulse! Because that's exactly what it is: a physics-based puzzle game in which you use faux-magnetics to manipulate objects in a bright, gleaming sci-fi world that's very suddenly and inexplicably invaded by Team Yog Sothoth.

You're not going to see that kind of thing coming out of Ubisoft anytime soon, and even better, it works. It doesn't have quite the refinement or complexity of Valve's masterpiece puzzler, but it's challenging and entertaining and the Cthulhu twist gives it a nice dash of straight-faced silliness.

The launch trailer provides a pretty clear look at what's on offer, but let's face it: You either want to play this, or you don't. Magrunner: Dark Pulse will be available a little later today (around 1 pm EDT, I believe) on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/209630/].

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
So, it's Portal, with a talking male protagonist, magnets instead of portals, and Cthulhu instead of Glados.

Hmm....Seems neat. Hope it's good.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
The question has finally been answered!

Q: How do magnets work?
A: Cthulu bids them.

Makes more sense than the textbooks.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
I was gonna do some Tabletop stuff today after work...

Nope. The little Cthulu dice I have on my desk says otherwise. This game is required.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
The voice acting is sub par but... I can't not be really into this premise. Magnets and Cthulhu... who would have thought that this would make such an intriguing combination?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I... wha... WHAT!??.

It's a concept I never, ever could've thinked of... and I want it... NOW...

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
It's definitely a "take some of my money" game. It's clearly not a triple-A project, but as an indie joint it's top-notch, and it's such a cool, goofy idea that it's almost inevitably fun. It's $20 regular, which I think is fair, and of course the inevitable Steam sales will drop it to $5 or $10, putting it well into "must-buy" territory.

It actually reminds me a lot of Retrovirus [http://www.gamezebo.com/games/retrovirus/review]: cool idea, just rough enough around the edges to be recognizably indie, but solid execution and a lot of fun.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
So -this- is the title I've been looking for. Thanks for the announcement; I'll be picking this up shortly...