Rumor: Valve has Left 4 Dead 3, Half-Life 3, and More On The Way

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Rumor: Valve has Left 4 Dead 3, Half-Life 3, and More On The Way

Leaks point to Valve projects currently in the works.

The enthusiasts over at [a href=http://www.valvetime.net/threads/updated-half-life-3-left-4-dead-3-source-2-much-more-found-on-valve-project-tracker.243580/]ValveTime[/a] have uncovered a supposed list of internal projects from the secretive developer. While the list is obviously an internal project tracker and offers no other context, it points to expected projects like Half Life 3 and Source 2, as well as surprising entries like Left 4 Dead 3.

According to ValveTime, the listing inadvertently leaked to a mailing list when it was trying to resolve an issue with Jira, their project management software.

Further digging reveals that the Left 4 Dead 3 list has multiple mailing lists, while the perpetually MIA Half Life 3 has only one listing. While the L4D3 group has 68 members, the HL 3 group has only 42. ValveTime seems to think that these lists still include ex-employees, so numbers are hardly exact. This leads to speculation that a Half Life sequel is still a ways down the line.

The listing also reveals mysteries like Cries Unheard and Microbe Wars. Considering the unorthodox way that Valve operates, it's hard to say if these are actual games in development or just experiments.

ValveTime claims to verify the lists because they include employee clubs and extracurricular activities which "are very obscure, but known by our researchers". This could be viewed as being impressive....or creepy.

Source: [a href=http://www.valvetime.net/threads/updated-half-life-3-left-4-dead-3-source-2-much-more-found-on-valve-project-tracker.243580/]Valve Time[/a]

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
IanDavis said:
Rumor: Valve has Left 4 Dead 3, Half-Life 2, and More On The Way

That doesnt seem right...

OT: L4D3 and Hl3 confirmed. How amazing would it be if they announced them both on the same day.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Yes yes. It's all very exciting to see pseudo-concrete evidence of Half-Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3, Source 2, etc, etc.

However, I'm easily just as intrigued in the following entries:
Microbe Wars
Cries Unheard
Stars of Blood
SteamMMO / SteamMMO core

New IP ideas? Experimental game projects? New titles planned to showcase Source 2?

I don't know. But again, I'm intrigued.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Doom-Slayer said:
IanDavis said:

That doesnt seem right...

OT: L4D3 and Hl3 confirmed. How amazing would it be if they announced them both on the same day.
gigastar said:
IanDavis said:
Quoted for accuracy.
GawRammit!! I wanted to point that out! Also, I am crying tears of joy for when Gordon and Chell meet and a fight ensues with Alex.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Clickbait title, how surprising.
This isn't a confirmation, it's just another rumor
Of course Valve would be discussing HL3 internally, it's their biggest brand, doesn't mean it's in development.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
It would be funny if they called it "Left 4 Dead 5" Just to confuse the ever loving hell out of us. Skip 3, 4 is already in the title, so go to the next best number.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Tradjus said:
Clickbait title, how surprising.
This isn't a confirmation, it's just another rumor
Of course Valve would be discussing HL3 internally, it's their biggest brand, doesn't mean it's in development.
Um... "Rumor" is the first word in the title, so it's not clickbait.

OT: More psuedo-confirmation of HL3? Don't we get 3 of these every year? Color me indifferent. I won't believe it until I see a disk. L4D3 is surprising though...

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Come on guys? we're getting desperate by this point for rumours. Its? its time to let it go, man. Let it go! T^T

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
Right........ I'm gonna go drench my head in a bucket of water now.
Who knew, VALVe does understand the meaning of third installments after all

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
Vigormortis said:
Yes yes. It's all very exciting to see pseudo-concrete evidence of Half-Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3, Source 2, etc, etc.

However, I'm easily just as intrigued in the following entries:
Microbe Wars
Cries Unheard
Stars of Blood
SteamMMO / SteamMMO core

New IP ideas? Experimental game projects? New titles planned to showcase Source 2?

I don't know. But again, I'm intrigued.
If the Steambox is still a thing perhaps they are putting some launch games together for it. I think it is more likely to be related to Source 2 though, but either way if they actually release some new games i will be happy.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
I don't see how Left 4 Dead 3 is suprising, what with the current Dev trend of fearing new titles and loving bigger numbers.

I think the title for this article should have just been:

Rumour: Valve has done something.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
God, I hate stories like this, b/c we all know it's a shell game signifying nothing. We'll see Starcraft: Ghost and a decent Superman game before we see Halflife 3.

I don't hate Valve, I'm just disappointed in them. I can't even blame them. Why bother risking your career in gaming Nirvana when you can just continue to improve a stellar service that people can't get enough of?

Seriously, that's why Square-Enix won't do FF7 until they need a saving throw. They're just trolling us with the HD remakes of 8-10. If FF7 HD Remix came out and sucked, people would never buy Square's games again.

I'm past it, and would rather a full rework of the older NES and SNES titles.

And at this point, the hype machine for HL3 is so far gone, it is impossible to do it justice.

I'd actually respect if Valve did a community driven effort to create various mods/standalone alternate endings. Have a few groups work on separate 5 hour campaigns to end the series in their own ways, none being "canon," but all being "elseworlds."

Sure it's a copout, but I think it'd be a great exercise. Arguably, the best experiences I have had in Elder Scrolls have been fan generated content!

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Miracles do happen, you know. You money is right here, Valve, in my wallet, waiting...

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
The way Valve operates, it doesn't surprise me that there are a ton of games coming out from them. When you have a design philosophy that allows programmers as much time as possible, with the ability to jump and work on any part of a game as they see fit, I can imagine that it allows for a terribly long development time, but a ton of different stuff being made too. I wouldn't even be surprised if all the games were all at the same point in developement as well. Hopefully we can see some of them soon.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
Rumors are probably the most dissappointing things around. I am still waiting on the Black Widow movie for instance, rumored to be in pre-production since before the release of Iron Man 2. Haven't heard a peep from it since. That's my point. Rumors are worthless unless Valve comes with confirmation.

The value of information is measured by the reliability of the source.