PS4 and Xbox One Drive Amazon Pre-Orders Through the Roof

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
PS4 and Xbox One Drive Amazon Pre-Orders Through the Roof

Amazon has seen a 4000% increase in console orders compared to this time last year.

As price announcement surfaced Amazon wasted no time in opening up pre-order options for consumers eager to get their hands on next-gen consoles. As soon as the prices for the Xbox One and PS4 were unveiled the online retailer allowed shoppers to put down orders. The early order options would seem to have paid off. Amazon has reported a 4,000 percent year-on-year increase in console orders since E3. During the peak of pre-orders customers were ordering as many as 2,500 consoles per minute.

Granted, there are some factual considerations that drag this into perspective a bit. Hardware sales at this time last year were not the strongest, making them fairly easy to top. That said, a 4,000 percent increase is still pretty significant and can probably be taken as a good sign for the next-gen consoles. Most especially, recent days would point to good news for Microsoft. Since the announcement that its previously infamous used game and online restrictions were being removed, pre-orders for the Xbox One have <a href=http://news.yahoo.com/xbox-one-preorders-jump-past-playstation-4-microsoft-142532847.html>dramatically picked up in pace and left the console in the number one seller spot of Amazon's videogame section.

All in all, things seem to already be looking good for the next gen consoles. Even if the pace of pre-orders drops off, there is clearly a lot of excitement accrued for the Xbox One and PS4. The fact that this excitement is translating into actual sales could mean the consoles' respective launches may already be primed for a strong start.

Source: <a href=http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one-and-ps4-break-records-at-amazon-com/0117539?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mcvuk%2Fstream+%28MCV%3A+Home+Stream%29>MCV

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
X1 being the best seller as of yet? Gotta say, I called it. I called it super hard.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I think this was rather obvious. The only thing that could potentially ruin this generation is another global economy crash. Otherwise this generation will sell better than the last one. More and more people are embracing gaming as an integral part of their lives. It doesn't take a genius analyst to predict that this gen will sell better than the last one.

But still. I wouldn't get a console on launch day unless my life depended on it.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
pre-orders for the Xbox One have dramatically picked up in pace and left the console in the number one seller spot of Amazon's videogame section
I'm disgusted. Just disgusted by how people will eat this shit up even if they know that MS will pull that same shit again. Maybe even during the very same generation.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
pre-orders for the Xbox One have dramatically picked up in pace and left the console in the number one seller spot of Amazon's videogame section
I'm disgusted. Just disgusted by how people will eat this shit up even if they know that MS will pull that same shit again. Maybe even during the very same generation.
You realize that Microsoft would be committing suicide if they immediately reversed their policies AGAIN right?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Is this just off Amazon.com? If so, its easy to see why the One80 is leading seeing as it was the biggest seller in the US market. Be very interesting to see how the rest of the planet is responding, seeing as the rest of the planet aren't even getting it localized.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
If I were more invested in console gaming I'd be heartbroken by how short-sighted people are. Bravo, peeps, reinforce to companies every where that they can fuck with the consumers all they want and there is no such thing as crossing the line because they can just come back and hit the reset button.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Looks like P4 is released on 31st December, doesnt that seem stupid of Sony to miss christmas day? Granted you are only waiting a week for your PS4 but then your back to work. Its a shame really.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
SonOfVoorhees said:
Looks like P4 is released on 31st December, doesnt that seem stupid of Sony to miss christmas day? Granted you are only waiting a week for your PS4 but then your back to work. Its a shame really.
It's likely just a placeholder, the only thing Sony has said is that the PS4 is coming out in 'the holidays'.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
That's an amazon placeholder date. The speculated release date is November 13th.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/06/21/ps4-release-date/

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
SonOfVoorhees said:
That's just Amazon's default listing for "sometime this year". They know it's coming, but they don't know exactly when, so they put up dates like that.

Kopikatsu said:
X1 being the best seller as of yet? Gotta say, I called it. I called it super hard.
Yeah, the Xbone has jumped to the #1 spot. #2 is The Last of Us.

The 3rd, 4th, 5th, 9th, and 17th positions are all occupied by PS4 and its various bundles.

So yeah.

Methinks the Xbone remains in the #2 slot overall in terms of preorders.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Terminate421 said:
BiH-Kira said:
You realize that Microsoft would be committing suicide if they immediately reversed their policies AGAIN right?
How so? Microsoft could easily hold the console they just purchased hostage. Most people don't have the willpower to chalk up a 500 dollar purchase as a loss. People would naturally just put up with whatever BS was thrown at them after already investing in the xbox one. It is just an easy as when Sony took out other OS option.

The consumers are playing right into Microsofts hands and well I just couldn't care less. If the consumers want to be in an abusive consumer relationship that is their business.

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
wooty said:
Is this just off Amazon.com? If so, its easy to see why the One80 is leading seeing as it was the biggest seller in the US market. Be very interesting to see how the rest of the planet is responding, seeing as the rest of the planet aren't even getting it localized.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-PC-Video-Games/zgbs/videogames

The PS4 still seems to be ahead in the UK Amazon, the German Amazon, the Italian Amazon, the Canadian Amazon,, the Spanish Amazon (which i believe covers much of south america as well) and I assume the Japanese and Chinese Amazons as well since they wouldnt actually be able to use the Xbox. Microsoft do seem to be winning in France though, which i find very surprising. Something else I find surprising is that Australia doesnt seem to actually have its own Amazon site.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Sales for the individual bundle are #1, but Facebook commenter David MacDonald threw some really cool/interesting information out there:

"Hey, before anyone starts ranting about how short sighted people are, know this. The Xbox One Eighty is in the number one spot. The PS4 Standard Edition is in the number three spot. The PS4 Watch Dogs bundle is in the number 4 spot. The PS4 Battlefield 4 bundle is in the number 5 spot. The PS4 Killzone bundle is in the number 9 spot. The PS4 Launch edition is in the number 17 spot. The PS4 Knack bundle is in the number 44 spot.

Source. http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames#1"

Tally it all together and Sony isn't quite as below as the article suggests. It's still ahead, but that's because it's selling many different bundles. Xbone only has one bundle currently, the Day One Edition, so their sales are much more concentrated.

UnnDunn

Aug 15, 2006
MinionJoe said:
GAunderrated said:
How so? Microsoft could easily hold the console they just purchased hostage.
Pre-orders can be cancelled at any time before delivery for a full refund. So if Microsoft reverses their reversal, it will be after delivery of those orders. Therefore, it will not be an "immediate" reversion.

I say the sudden surge in pre-orders is a good thing. It reinforces the message to Microsoft that customers will not tolerate being treated like criminals. I salute the bravery of those willing to risk their money to send that message.

But me? I never pre-order anything. I see no reason to give a corporation a 0% interest loan.
Amazon does not bill your credit card until the pre-order ships. So there is no "0% interest loan".

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
Ironside said:
I'm curious to see now that region locks are removed if this changes significantly, or at all. After all, people don't have to worry about supported launch countries anymore, and Amazon US will ship anywhere at a locked price for free.