Heavy Gear Assault Devs Halt Kickstarter

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Heavy Gear Assault Devs Halt Kickstarter

Stompy Bot Productions will continue crowdfunding on its website as it reevaluates its strategies.

[a href=http://heavygear.com/]Heavy Gear[/a] wasn't just that other mech game, for some it was the superior one. While Mechwarrior's bots were imposing walking tanks, Heavy Gear's nimble machines could skate, lay prone, or walk on the outside of space cruisers. It only had two PC games back in the 90's, and Stompy Bot Productions thought it was about time the franchise had another installment. Yet, after earning only $45k of its $800k Kickstarter goal with one week to go, it has decided to cut the crowdfunding campaign short.

Stompy Bot made the announcement via [a href=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stompybot/heavy-gear-assault-0/comments]an update[/a] on its project page: "Thank you for your dedicated support. We appreciate and highly value everyone's opinions here which is why we have decided to cancel this KS campaign and continue crowd funding on [a href=http://heavygear.com/]heavygear.com[/a]."

While the game isn't dead, its fate is less than certain. As the update continues, "we believe very strongly in resurrecting the Heavy Gear franchise and giving the fans what they want. We are currently evaluating other strategies to raise awareness regarding Heavy Gear and looking at multiple means to get the Heavy Gear name out there. Thank you for your support everyone and stay tuned."

Built in Unreal Engine 4, Heavy Gear Assault is aimed at PC, Mac, and Linux systems. It mostly focus on multiplayer battles, with an iOS app allowing players to spectate on matches from the stands and even earn cash on the side by sponsoring players. The Kickstarter was intended to fund the first episode of the single-player campaign, with additional episodes added as stretch goals. The developers also hoped to include Oculus Rift support, which would have simulated an entire mech cockpit.

Source: [a href=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stompybot/heavy-gear-assault-0/comments]Kickstarter[/a]

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
After the dissapointment that Mechwarrior onlines arena style combat was i think people wanted a bit more out of a mecha game then having half the content ripped out and concentrated on the bare minimum mech vs mech.

Part of the fun in mech games is trashing stuff that is decidedly not a mech.. also playing missions instead of the same dreary arena combat style without rhyme or reason.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well this is how fan support works, when you don't deliver something they want then there will be no response.
Now is a great time to rethink how this thing should be made.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Yosharian said:
Trying not to post a cynical comment about this... all I can say is that it's a shame they didn't plan out more carefully what HG fans wanted from a new HG game (hint: not a multiplayer arena game).

wombat_of_war said:
Yosharian said:
Trying not to post a cynical comment about this... all I can say is that it's a shame they didn't plan out more carefully what HG fans wanted from a new HG game (hint: not a multiplayer arena game).
thats what lost my interest in it as well
This is what I wanted in a Heavy Gear game.

I cannot tell you how many hours I wasted trying to reenact that intro in the actual game to some success as a kid!

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Yeah, my advice on a new strategy would be not to make it a multiplayer arena game. I loved Heavy Gear 2, and not once did I think to myself, "if only I could turn this into a team based sport." Change the focus and you may get more support.

Also, if anyone wants to make a Jovian Chronicles game, color me interested.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
Take my money!

Wonder why they decided against traditional crowd sourcing, maybe wasn't earning fast enough?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
sturryz said:
Take my money!

Wonder why they decided against traditional crowd sourcing, maybe wasn't earning fast enough?
They didn't decide against it; it's just that they only had gained 5% of their required funding with 6 days left to go.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Yeah, it says something when their target audience just isn't that interested. I played the crap out of the original Heavy Gear and Heavy Gear 2 and had even commented a few weeks ago about someone needed to kickstart a new one. But we have Hawken and Mechwarrior Online already, we don't need another multiplayer mech game.

irok

Jun 6, 2012
Dam, I agree it was the superior mech game, well, except for armored core im not down with the clunky feel of MechWarrior's stuff and this might have been ok.