New Study Dismisses Link Between Violence and Videogames

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Study Dismisses Link Between Violence and Videogames

A report entitled "Only a Game: Why Censoring New Media Won't Stop Gun Violence" claims that research showing a link between videogames and real-world violence is seriously and fundamentally flawed.

There are studies that claim to prove beyond any doubt that videogames can cause violent behavior in young and/or impressionable people, and studies that claim with absolutely certainty that no such link exists. A new addition to that milieu, "Only a Game: Why Censoring New Media Won't Stop Gun Violence," acknowledges that videogame content can be "ugly, frightening or even immoral," but argues that research claiming a connection between videogames and violent behavior in the real world are "highly controvertible," and that where such links have been found, "they are negligible and short-lived."

Three "key findings" of the study, as listed on the Media Coalition website, are that while videogame consumption has gone up, violent crimes rates have gone down in the U.S. and other nations; that studies of research showing a link between gaming and violence, carried out in the U.S., Australia, the U.K. and Sweden, have found them to be "flawed, flimsy and inconclusive"; and that the videogame industry's self-regulation has repeatedly proven an effective system that accommodates the First Amendment protections recently extended to videogames by the Supreme Court of the United States.

"Media Coalition takes no position on the content of videogames (or other media). Some people may be fanatic players; others may detest them. Some may find them appropriate for their children, others not. A majority of Americans may believe that fictional violence leads to violence in real life. But common sense and objective research does not show it," the report concludes. "What we do know is that judgments about 'good' and 'bad' violence are matters of taste and individual morality. And as the majority in Brown wrote, under our Constitution 'esthetic and moral judgments about art and literature . . . are for the individual to make, not for the Government to decree, even with the mandate or approval of a majority'."

The "Only a Game" report is available in full from the Media Coalition [http://mediacoalition.org/only-a-game/].

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This is not a new study. This is a summation of old studies and things we already knew.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Besides, in two weeks, someone will have a new study that confirms the link between violence and video games, and two weeks after that it'll be disproven again.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Covarr said:
This is not a new study. This is a summation of old studies and things we already knew.

P.S. Thanks
It's called a Meta-Analysis, and it is a kind of study actually.

This can only lead to good things, though I hope the CDC hurries up with their own research so we can conclusively dismiss this notion that video games promote violence.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Unfortunately the only point of data that detractors of this study need is "Won't somebody think of THE CHILDREN!?!?!?"

Study disproven, link between new things and Satan confirmed.

Bix96

Oct 10, 2012
Now in a week we will see a study that shows video games definitely cause violence.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
How long before this one gets debunked and over-reactive morons are banning games again?
Its a meta-analysis, as such, its a study of the studies, and its conclusions are pretty solid. That said, this is science, so things aren't guaranteed.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Rainboq said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
How long before this one gets debunked and over-reactive morons are banning games again?
Its a meta-analysis, as such, its a study of the studies, and its conclusions are pretty solid. That said, this is science, so things aren't guaranteed.
I know what a meta-analysis is, I've read Bad Science. Awesome book. What I mean is they'll come out with this, and there'll be a few people who go THEY'RE JUST GAMES or THAT WAS BIASED or TINC UF TEH CHELDRAAAAAANZ and everything will go back to normal. It will have been like this was never published.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
Rainboq said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
I know what a meta-analysis is, I've read Bad Science. Awesome book. What I mean is they'll come out with this, and there'll be a few people who go THEY'RE JUST GAMES or THAT WAS BIASED or TINC UF TEH CHELDRAAAAAANZ and everything will go back to normal. It will have been like this was never published.
Pretty much. In the veritable avalanche of scientific studies it's rather easy to ignore one whenever it doesn't suit your agenda.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
This is all well and good, but we (gamers) pretty much already knew all about this. What's really important is who will this study reach? If this doesn't reach government officials it probably won't do much.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
When people comment on games, i just say, what about sports? Way more violence caused by football. But you never here the call to ban football.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
It's weird how games keep getting blamed for violence even though games are equipped with the most amount of ways to stop children playing particularly graphic games.

Ah well gotta blame satan and something I guess, but hopefully this study helps in someway.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
If certain countries have done live-action Starcraft and NOT tried to overrun other nations, video game violence isn't enough to cause real violence. Anyway, cheers on this.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
That is the beauty of statistical studies. They can be written in a way that they can prove anything... anything. Videogames causes cancer? Check. Videogames doesn't causes cancer? Sure. Cancer produces video games? All right.

I am not saying that study is biased, but I am pretty sure it is. So, another study proving the opposite is just as likely to appear...

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Why do you care if people think video games cause violence? Idiots gonna idiot.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I think if ANY study is done on "violence and video games", they should preface their studies with this little tidbit from history:

Before ANY video game, or video game console for that matter, was ever created, the atomic weapon was invented, constructed, tested and used. TWICE.

And people wonder about the reasons I choose to be anti-social sometimes.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Covarr said:
It's a meta-analysis, a valid line of study.

P.P.S. Besides, in two weeks, someone will have a new study that confirms the link between violence and video games, and two weeks after that it'll be disproven again.
I don't think you understand how this works. It's not going to be "disproven;" at best there will be some new sensationalist study that says that games...I don't know, lead to baby eating.

Evil Smurf said:
Why do you care if people think video games cause violence? Idiots gonna idiot.
Because those idiots spread their beliefs and try to legislate based on them.