Update: Saints Row IV Refused Classification in Australia

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Update: Saints Row IV Refused Classification in Australia

The game was still refused despite the recent introduction of an R18+ rating in Australia [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121292-Australias-R18-Classification-Starts-Today].

The Australian classification board has rejected upcoming President-based sandbox game Saints Row IV for rating. This happens despite the recent introduction of an R18+ rating in Australia [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121292-Australias-R18-Classification-Starts-Today], meaning that Saints Row IV will be the first game ever to be refused the new rating in the country. Publisher Deep Silver now has a chance to alter the game's content and resubmit it to the board. If it chooses not to, the game will effectively be banned from sale once it is released.

The board's report of the game [http://www.classification.gov.au/Public/Resources/Documents/2013%20media%20releases/media%20release%20Saints%20Row%204.pdf] noted that it "includes interactive, visual depictions of implied sexual violence which are not justified by context" as well as "elements of illicit or proscribed drug use related to incentives or rewards". The board noted that such depictions are prohibited by the computer games guidelines set forth when the R18+ rating was finally passed.

Since the ratings inception, 17 games have been classified under the new R18+ rating. Previously, MA15+ was the highest rating in Australia, and developers often had to heavily censor content to see release in the country. Volition and Deep Silver have yet to issue a comment, but it can probably be assumed that it will be resubmitting a censored version of the game.

Games that have been refused classification are illegal to display or sell in Australia. Gray importing the game (purchasing it from an overseas online retailer) is a legal gray area, as customs officers have been known to confiscate and destroy seized gray imports of refused classification games in the past.

Saints Row The Third, a game which featured gratuitous amounts of violence as well as a giant purple dildo weapon, was issued an MA15+ rating in Australia. You may be thinking that Volition must have really dialed up the violence and sex for it to be refused the new rating, but the key point in this report is "drug use." Fallout 3 faced similar challenges when "real-world" drugs gave players positive benefits, so publisher Bethesda opted to change "morphine" to "Med-X." I wouldn't be surprised if Deep Silver does the same.

Source: Australian Classification Board via Games.on.net [http://games.on.net/2013/06/saints-row-4-is-refused-classification-first-game-to-do-so-since-r18-introduced/]

Update: Deep Silver has provided the following statement regarding the classification refusal:

"Deep Silver can confirm that Saints Row IV was denied an age classification in Australia. Volition, the developer, are reworking some of the code to create a version of the game for this territory by removing the content which could cause offence without reducing the outlandish gameplay that Saints Row fans know and love. Saints Row IV has been awarded PEGI 18 and ESRB M ratings where fans can enjoy their time in Steelport as originally intended."

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/25/saints-row-4-refused-classification-in-australia-volition-rewo/]

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Something tells me the drug use is why it got the RC, meh just import it (legal here in NSW)
Funny thing is I've already bought it from steam, I wonder what they'll do. If it gets censored I'll cancel my pre-order and buy from elsewhere.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
"elements of illicit or proscribed drug use related to incentives or rewards". This is the biggy, no idea why you mentioned "Volition must have really dialed up the violence and sex for it to be refused the new rating" when drug use with rewards for it is the big one.

Fallout 3 was going to be banned when I think it was Med-X was called Morphine (drug use being rewarded) but it was changed to Med-X.

Violence and sex do nothing here; AvP2010 went through for MA15+ and that has violent decapitations (with spine included) in first person committed by the player. Sex does nothing. Underbelly has boobs every 10 seconds and used to air at 8:30PM and no one cares.

It's really being rewarded for sex and drug use that is the issue; violence you're implicitly rewarded in most games anyway.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
That's a shame, I can't wait to see what caused it to get banned though.
RicoADF said:
Something tells me the drug use is why it got the RC, meh just import it (legal here in NSW)
Would it still work on an Australian PS3?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
sb666 said:
RicoADF said:
Yes, PS3 are region free. Although I was thinking getting a PC copy

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Well, more money into other people's economies I guess

RicoADF said:
sb666 said:
RicoADF said:
Even if they weren't the UK shares a region with us.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Dryk said:
Well, more money into other people's economies I guess

RicoADF said:
sb666 said:
RicoADF said:
Even if they weren't the UK shares a region with us.
Which Oz gameshop is happy to supply for a cheaper price than local copies, so really it's easy to legally get around the issue.

What I'm confused about is that steam has R18+ rating on the game, interesting....

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
huh, funny. i see MA rated movies here with sexual violence and gory moments. now we finally have a 18 rating and they have a problem. these guys in the office really have to get kicked out.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Can't have people thinking drugs could have some positive effects. The general puiblic don't have the common sense to distinguish real drugs from ones in videogames, or the consequences of taking them.

Not that I haven't bought every game in recent memory from overseas anyway and saved myself an incredible amount of money.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009

Wow.

What's the point of an adults only classification if the government is still going to tell you that you aren't mature enough to handle a game even as an adult?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
What's the point of an adults only classification if the government is still going to tell you that you aren't mature enough to handle a game even as an adult?
The adult only classification is the same for movies and TV. If it's not legal for those, it's not for games.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
1. The Australian Censorship Board can eat a bag of warm dicks
2. Will this effect my preorder?
3. The modders will put it right back in.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Desert Punk said:
Ahh Australia, where if you want to look at a country that is absolutely retarded when it comes to videogames, you can look straight at them.
I wouldn't say they are retarded, they are just keeping to stricter rules than other places. At first I thought it was going to be because of some pathetic reason but from this article it sounds reasonable enough to stop the game being sold because of incentivising drug use and whatever this violent sexual act thing is. If it was retarded then they would be banning the game for having red blood, like Germany does. Because the sight of blood in videogames turns Germans in to little Hitlers apparently.

Roander

Dec 27, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Scars Unseen said:
The adult only classification is the same for movies and TV. If it's not legal for those, it's not for games.
How can those be the same? There's no player in a movie so rules like "no rewarding the player for drug use" don't make any sense. Do they just ban any movie depicting any positive effects from drug use?

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Good job getting it banned somewhere. Good press otherwise :D Sadly it'll result in a crappy watered down version for down under or dodgey imports, we'll see soon.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I took a gamble and bought it on Steam just now, I'm hoping it'll simply be unbuyable eventually but for now anyone whose bought it here already can still play it come launch day. Same thing with how Crysis 2 got pulled off steam by EA I figure.