Star Citizen Most Successful Crowfunding Campaign Ever

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Citizen Most Successful Crowfunding Campaign Ever

Chris Roberts' Star Citizen recently raised $10 million and continues to gain support.

Fans of space flights sims let out a collective cry of joy when Chris Roberts, the creator of the Wing Commander series, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120049-Wing-Commander-Creator-Unveils-Star-Citizen>announced he would be returning to the genre he helped to foster with Star Citizen. Roberts' project quickly found success in the world of crowdfunding where eager fans have pledged more <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124843-Star-Citizen-Breaks-10-Million-in-Crowdfunding>than $10 million in funds since the game was first announced. If this wasn't impressive enough, Star Citizen's has now raised enough money to make it the most successful crowdfunding project of all time.

Star Citizen, which as of this writing has accumulated a total of $10,684,102, stole the crowdfunding crown from the <a href=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android>Pebble project, which raised $10,266,845 to make customizable watches. Star Citizen's epic funding comes from a pool of nearly 195,000 contributors who, on average, invested about fifty-four dollars each into the game. While that is a rough average and there was likely a lot of deviation from people who gave more or less, it's still somewhat impressive when you consider that triple-A titles, funded through conventional methods, usually sell for a standard price of sixty dollars at launch. That so many people have been willing to give so much to see Star Citizen made could be taken as a testament to the desire of thousands to see space flight sims revived in the modern game industry.

Source: VG247

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
How very niche the space sim genre is...

I really want this game to have a success story along the likes of World of Warcraft, lasting for years with millions of players.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I got my contribution in some time ago. I'm so happy to see it doing so well. I wonder how many big name studios are taking note of this.

Also, really Customizable Watches? Do people even still wear watches? Amazing.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I personally contributed 50$. Not a bad spend from the looks of where this game is going.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
I've put $610 into this project. Here's hoping it turns out well!

If anyone can bring back the Space-sim genre though, it's these guys.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I wonder when publishers and developers will figure out that pretty much every genre is niche and that all of them trying to compete for the few that aren't is mind-numbingly stupid. I miss the days when more studios had a much broader range of titles to choose from. Ahh well, life as a PC gamer is still good.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Chatboy 91 said:

$610, you could feed a small family with that kind of scratch?! Out of curiosity, was it one of the incentives that drew you to contribute that much?

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Ukomba said:
I got my contribution in some time ago. I'm so happy to see it doing so well. I wonder how many big name studios are taking note of this.

Think less watch and more digital ink display that has bluetooth linking. It would display notifications from your cell and could use custom apps to show other data. Like directions from your GPS etc. It is a great concept for people who can not have their phones out at work.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
slash2x said:
Ukomba said:

Think less watch and more digital ink display that has bluetooth linking. It would display notifications from your cell and could use custom apps to show other data. Like directions from your GPS etc. It is a great concept for people who can not have their phones out at work.
Ya, It's a cleaver idea, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't have thought it was a record setting $10 million idea.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
Gorrath said:
Chatboy 91 said:

$610, you could feed a small family with that kind of scratch?! Out of curiosity, was it one of the incentives that drew you to contribute that much?
Sort of. Originally I put $125 in for the Freelancer package, but as time has gone on I've added money to get more ships. I'll have 5 ships at the start now, and they'll all have lifetime insurance. I didn't pledge it all at once either, I've been adding stuff over the past couple of months. From what I've seen so far, it should turn out to be an awesome game.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Ukomba said:
slash2x said:
Ukomba said:

Ya, It's a cleaver idea, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't have thought it was a record setting $10 million idea.
Well 68,929 people backed it to get prepurchases. Even at $100 each that is $6,892,900. And some people bought the higher packs because it came with more watches. So I can see how they hit 10 mill so easy. Just the sheer number of people buying the things.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Gorrath said:
I wonder when publishers and developers will figure out that pretty much every genre is niche and that all of them trying to compete for the few that aren't is mind-numbingly stupid. I miss the days when more studios had a much broader range of titles to choose from. Ahh well, life as a PC gamer is still good.
So do I, back when I could fill all my gaming desires. If I felt like being a general, C&C and Starcraft here I come, feel like surviving a wasteland well Fallout had me covered, want to kill demons, Doom it is. Now other than the last one trying to find games for any genre is damn hard and usually only have 1 or 2 games every few years. Very sad state of affair :-(