ArmA III Enters Beta

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
ArmA III Enters Beta

ArmA III, the latest entry in Bohemia Interactive's realisitic military simulation franchise, has entered beta testing.

If the ArmA series is known for anything, it's for spawning the hyper-popular DayZ modification. If it's known for two things however, that second thing is almost definitely its meticulous attention to detail. Each game in the series has inched closer and closer to fully simulating the realities of modern war, and ArmA III should be the best incarnation of that idea to date.

Of course, you don't have to take our word for it. Now that the title is in beta, you can simply play the thing. According to Bohemia Interactive, anyone who pre-orders ArmA III via Steam will automatically gain access to the beta test. If you were fortunate enough to be an alpha tester for ArmA III, you're already invited to the beta and merely need update your game client to the latest version.

"The Beta is a big opportunity for us to involve more players in Arma 3's development and is the next step along the road towards our full release," says creative director Jay Crowe. "With a variety of new singleplayer and multiplayer scenarios and a whole bunch of new sandbox content, we're looking forward to introducing players to what true combined arms combat really means in Arma 3."

If you'd like to learn more about "what true combined arms combat really means," then please pay a visit to visit its official page [http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/107410/].

Source: Steam [http://steamcommunity.com/games/arma3/announcements/detail/1621575876959604889]

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I got somewhat early access by running the DEV build which is much my stable on my PC but a complete 180 on my laptop.

So far I am having a lot of fun with the game!

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I opened up Steam after I read this article, Steam had it already downloading. I didn't play much of Alpha as there was not much to offer, but I'm definitely ready to dive into Beta.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
attackshark said:
could someone please explain the appeal of this game?
Seriously?! I need to explain it to you?! Actually, no, I will not. This guy will. ;)

Besides, you can do shit like this right out of the box.

HAVE FUN!!!

Mikoi

Sep 29, 2010
A lot of people like it due to you can, if wanting to, play it like you would conduct a full mission.

I've currently got over 60hours on the Alpha, Its one of the most polished Alpha's I've even had a chance to actually play, Currently downloading the Beta update and I know I'm going to spend twice the time I've done on the Alpha in this world. They have done a fantastic job with this game, and with Mod support straight out of the box, its just going to go from strength to strength.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
attackshark said:
I'll list the main appealing features:

- Realistic military game, unlike CoD or BF that just claims it, ArmA series is a military simulator that the USMC, ADF and other militaries around the world use (in slightly modified form) as VBS 2.
- Sandbox game, It's really a battlefield GTA, a game where you can go wherever you want and approach the mission however you want. Also depending on mission it can range from capture a town, kill an enemy or conquer the whole map however you want.
- Mission editor, The game comes with a full mission editor that you can do anything in, thats how Day Z was made, so the game can be literally whatever people come up with. From different time periods, different scenarios and different game styles.
- Moddability, Just as the above mentioned missions, the game supports literally anything you can think of and mod in, people have made some seriously creative stuff in the game using the mod tools BIS give out for free, including example models. Eg: I have made an ADF mod, C&C, Military contractors, whatever my mates and I feel like making.
- True AI, Unlike CoD or most games, the AI in ArmA series is a real AI built into the game rather than a scripted sequence. You can literally start the game new, go to the editor, place down enemy troops, place yourself and start playing. No waypoints, triggers or anything required, they will fight back and flank you as soldiers really do. I can make a video showing this if you'd like.

attackshark

Nov 16, 2010
RicoADF said:

- Realistic military game, unlike CoD or BF that just claims it, ArmA series is a military simulator that the USMC, ADF and other militaries around the world use (in slightly modified form) as VBS 2.
- Sandbox game, It's really a battlefield GTA, a game where you can go wherever you want and approach the mission however you want. Also depending on mission it can range from capture a town, kill an enemy or conquer the whole map however you want.
- Mission editor, The game comes with a full mission editor that you can do anything in, thats how Day Z was made, so the game can be literally whatever people come up with. From different time periods, different scenarios and different game styles.
- Moddability, Just as the above mentioned missions, the game supports literally anything you can think of and mod in, people have made some seriously creative stuff in the game using the mod tools BIS give out for free, including example models. Eg: I have made an ADF mod, C&C, Military contractors, whatever my mates and I feel like making.
- True AI, Unlike CoD or most games, the AI in ArmA series is a real AI built into the game rather than a scripted sequence. You can literally start the game new, go to the editor, place down enemy troops, place yourself and start playing. No waypoints, triggers or anything required, they will fight back and flank you as soldiers really do. I can make a video showing this if you'd like.
due to the comprehensive yet thorough nature of your explanation, you win the award for being most helpful. here's a coupon for one free back rub.

attackshark

Nov 16, 2010
Saulkar said:
Seriously?! I need to explain it to you?! Actually, no, I will not. This guy will. ;)
yes. you do. if getting shot at in a realistic nature is so important to people, why not join that war on terror i keep hearing about? realism all day, baby.

still, i appreciate the lengths you went to to provide me with an explanation, though admittingly i didn't watch 80% of what you posted because it bored me to tears.

i still got something out of it, though, so you get the award for being the most excited. there aren't any coupons involved, but i won't go out of my way to destroy you, either. so congratulations.

Robert0288

Jun 10, 2008
attackshark said:
why not join that war on terror i keep hearing about? realism all day, baby.
Because some mornings I don't want to get rocketed while I sleep. And if you don't like the concept, then you don't like it. I don't think anyone is going to go any further to convince you that you should like it.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
attackshark said:
Woodsey said:
It's a military sim. Some people like military sims.
you win the award for being the least helpful. you're parents will be so proud.
attackshark said:
due to the comprehensive yet thorough nature of your explanation, you win the award for being most helpful. here's a coupon for one free back rub.
You better add more to those comments there, buddy, or the mods are gonna modwrath you for low content posts.

OT: I really wish this would be ported to consoles. I'm not a huge fan of PC gaming and I'd really like to not miss out on this. :(

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
RicoADF said:
attackshark said:

That sounds really appealing. Is there a demo or something to get me started? Will I be fine starting with Arma II? Anything else that I need to know?

Damn, need to watch out for this game. Hopefully I'll be able to grab alpha access sometime soon after giving it a try. Really sounds like something that I could dig, considering that I'm trying to expand my horizons in gaming now. :)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
attackshark said:
Woodsey said:
It's a military sim. Some people like military sims.
you win the award for being the least helpful. you're parents will be so proud.
Whereas your parents will see you fail the annual spelling bee and - now irreparably disappointed - will seek out alternative offspring.

Also, when people ask that question it's usually with an undercurrent of, "stop liking what I don't like". If it was an honest question then... it's because it simulates being in the army. I dare you to find an answer more comprehensive than that.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
attackshark said:
there aren't any coupons involved
WHAT?! I WILL BITE YOUR FINGERS AND MAKE A SOUP OUT OF YOUR FINS!!!

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
attackshark said:
if getting shot at in a realistic nature is so important to people, why not join that war on terror i keep hearing about? realism all day, baby.
I tried to ignore this comment as I believed it was to be taken exclusively as tongue-in-cheek but I just cannot, this statement makes absolutely no sense. PREPARE YOUR MUCUS MEMBRANES!!!

You cannot compare booting up a game to delve into realistic, and hyper challenging scenarios that give an unprecedented amount of freedom to do battle in any way you want vs spending months of grueling training and emotional/psychological torment in preparing to become a small cog in a larger machine that dictates your every waking moment. Besides you say getting "shot at in a realistic nature" as if that was the main source of enjoyment despite there really never being such a game in existance.

Much of the enjoyment comes from the realism that offers one to act out certain fantasies; Whether that be fighting in a historic battle to explore a different outcome, mod the game into something completely different while utilising the unique strengths of the game engine, create pointless big battles by dropping down a hundred troops, tanks, jets, and helicopters in the editor, with enough gameplay depth to add complexity to a simple battle, said complexity adding another layer and several degrees of freedom to the gameplay while being challenging without punishing.

Furthermore said realism is carefully balanced to ensure that it does not kill fun! That is what VBS2 is, a pure simulator that the military uses, a tool that is as dry as a math-textbook. In COD you run and gun without taking into careful consideration your location of a map many square kilometers wide with guns that do not behave realistically and do not punish careless running around, all the while lacking layers of depth that require more thought process beyond mechanics immediately visible to the player. In Arma while getting shot does not immediately incapacitate you like in real life, it has tangible consequences such as affecting aim, vision, mobility, and senses. This in turn makes one much more careful and thoughtful as to what their next move is and in turn makes teamwork a must. Even furthermore you are assigned different and realistic roles of commanders, medics, AT, AA, sniper, etc, that each have unique jobs that support each other, unique jobs that are fleshed out enough to enure that they do not become repetitive. One could be so bold as to say that the fun is in the constant strain put on your brain.

Additionally the freedom offered allows for the use of a wide selection of physically realistic combat and civilian vehicles that often require multiple people to operate. Even the seemingly most boring position in a tank often requires you to call out targets, spot enemy movement through various sensor instruments, deploy smoke grenades, and use your periscope to navigate urban centers causing nerve wracking tension as you silently beg your teammates to be good enough to get you all out alive, further encouraging your participation. Said vehicles are also not gimped by the limited map sizes of many other games so your jets and helicopter altitude ceilings and speed, vehicle mounted gun ballistic drop, and combat pacing (taking breaks in cover for reload times, accessing maps and computers, and running mental calculations without the enemy blindly rushing at you because they are doing the same thing lest you get the upper-hand) are comparable to their real-life counterparts.

Lastly this game offers a tremendous amount of modding support in the form of the very tools that BIS uses to develop the game all the while they (BIS) developing full expansion packs that incrementally upgrade the engine and offer complete campaigns superior in quality to their predecessors.

The very last thing I want to touch on is by now you have seen me spout realism, complexity, and depth and are probably thinking that this immediately slows the game down by bogging one down with a dozen menus and key commands just to walk from point A to point B. This is simply not true. The basic operation of this game are very simple, the depth comes from all the options you have to tweak your approach. All of which are unobtrusive and quickly accessed.

These two videos summarise my last point nicely.

P.S. Sorry if I come off as aloof or abrasive, or abrasively aloof, abroof, that is not my intention as this is generally how I sound when typing excitedly.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
attackshark said:
Glad to be of use, I'm happy to answer any more questions you have.

thesilentman said:
That sounds really appealing. Is there a demo or something to get me started? Will I be fine starting with Arma II? Anything else that I need to know?

Damn, need to watch out for this game. Hopefully I'll be able to grab alpha access sometime soon after giving it a try. Really sounds like something that I could dig, considering that I'm trying to expand my horizons in gaming now. :)
There is a 'demo' version of ArmA 2 and I believe ArmA 3. They have a few missions to play in, I believe the mission editor is in however I haven't looked at them myself. I do know their models are toned down (they don't use the high quality lods), so it doesn't look as good as the final product, it is literally a 'lite' version of the game.

As for where to start, my mates and I still play ArmA 2 and it's (or atleast was) on sale so it's a good cheap option of testing the waters. ArmA 3 has smoother animations, a better invatory, diving and quite a few other great new features or reworked features but ArmA 2 CO is still a good game and would atleast give you an idea of what ArmA 3 is. Otherwise you can get A3 now and start playing the Beta, however being beta it's not perfect yet, hence why ArmA 2 being a stable and well patched game is another bonus on its side. It's upto you where you start but either choice you've got plenty of players to game with. On that note I suggest finding a group to play with, this is one game where teamwork isn't just a buzz word, it is literally required to survive. Pubs obviously don't have that and often turn into garbage. Your welcome to jump into some games with us if you'd like as long as you can get on during our time of play (weekends easy to do).

Actually I'm thinking of posting a few videos showing some of ArmA's strength, if people are interested?