Russia's Canine Cosmonaut Finally Gets Her Own Game

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008

Laika has been dead for more than half a century, but that won't stop her from gnawing through Stalin's plans for world domination like so many old tennis shoes.

On November 3, 1957, scientists from the Soviet Union launched the Sputnik 2 spacecraft. On board the vehicle was a single passenger, a stray dog plucked from the streets of Moscow and known to her handlers as "Laika." Unfortunately for our plucky canine hero, the USSR had yet to develop the technology to land a spacecraft after blasting it into space, so poor little Laika died in the icy void that surrounds our planet. Since that time the pup has become something of a folk hero for space geeks and dog lovers alike, and now, thanks to Minicore Studios, Laika has her very own videogame.

Described as an episodic, "2D action platformer," Laika Believes: The Sun At Night pits Laika against the Soviet war machine. As historically inaccurate as that sounds, things get even more hilariously histrionic in the game's official plot description. To wit:

The tide of Soviet power washing across the face of the Earth could possibly have been turned back at various stages of history. But the new energy sources they discovered lit a fire under the Russian war machine. So when Stalin rolled into Paris, the resulting flare-up of global conflict left little more than smoking ash heaps where America and Great Britain had been.

Now, Stalin is dead. Though resistance movements have emerged, the Soviets still stand supreme as rulers of the globe. Only a force from beyond the earth could possibly tip the balance.

Abram Krupin, leader of a resistance cell, knows this. When he sees a dog fall from the stars, then, he takes it as an omen. This dog speaks, wears silver armor, and has an arsenal of mysterious weapons. Abram calls her Laika.

Laika believes that, despite all odds, she can protect the countless lives crushed by the Soviets.

Alternate history? Adorable space dog protagonist? Retro-style artwork with modern action-platforming accoutrements? We're sold on that alone, but the game's features list also looks promising:

Laika Believes is a 2D action platformer to be released in three parts. Expect the first episode, The Sun at Night, in 2013. All episodes will feature:

- Massive, nonlinear levels that model the layouts of real locations in a way not yet seen in other platformers
- Large, choice-rich skill trees that let players approach the game the way they want to
- A novel defensive mechanic that lets players turn the firepower of Laika's enemies against them
- Smoothly flowing, fast-paced shooting action
- A story of struggle and hope, full of twists and revelations
- Rich, evocative art depicting a world dominated by a technologically ascendant Soviet empire
- Secrets and rewards hidden in every corner for the determined player

Yup, totally sold on this idea.

Expect Laika Believes to debut on "multiple platforms" at some point later this year. Here's hoping Minicore Studios can find an audience for a game featuring a cute, long-dead puppy throwing down against Joseph Stalin - somehow that doesn't seem too difficult.

Source: TrueAchievements [http://www.trueachievements.com/n13788/laika-believes-gets-a-new-trailer.htm]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
This game and this dog already interests me more than the Call of Duty: Ghost dog does that's for sure. And I like how the art style is too.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Press X to bark, Y to eat. Mash B to die during atmospheric re-entry.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Okay, I'm sold.

The game had me at dog wearing armor and it looks like the little guy had a laser.

Just tell me when and where to throw my money and I'm there.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
I am torn, on one side I like Ла́йка and the art style, on the other the game seems bland and unpolished.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
Jesus. What kind of soundtrack is that? It sounded like Sunn O))) at the beginning.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Well, I'm curious. I'll have to keep this one in mind, especially considering who our main character is...

(Seriously, look up Jonathan Coulton's song "Space Doggity", and prepare to cry. A lot.)

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Sold.

This is one of these games that I'm feeling the need to buy just to reward the idea.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Making a game about Laika? Interesting idea anyway, wonder how it will turn out.

Shall the entire soundtrack be this one song?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
MinionJoe said:
Zhukov said:
Mash B to die during atmospheric re-entry.
Too soon, man. Too soon...
Is it too soon to point out she didn't even get to go out in that much of a blaze of glory? Poor dog. I want to say some chimps met the same fate.

OT: This kind of balls to the walls crazy idea is exactly why I love indie gaming. Screw the arty farty types, I want to play as a dog destroying the Soviet war machine by redirecting its own bullets.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Zhukov said:
Actually, the dog died from heat exhaustion and stress after a few hours. Sputnik 2 actually orbited for a couple of months before re-entering the atmosphere.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:

so poor little Laika died in the icy void that surrounds our planet.
Incidentally Laika died of OVERHEATING. Basically space is a giant vacuum flask.
Poor dog.... that's a really crappy way to go.

Pikeperch

May 3, 2010
And to think this could've been avoided had they only invented dessert-flavoured mineral water.

(Abridged version: He won't go into space without desserts, so they have to send the dog)

Game sounds like fun, I'm always partial to alternate histories. All the buzzwords in the feature list make me a bit wary, though. I hope it will be good.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
lax4life said:
Zhukov said:
Actually, the dog died from heat exhaustion and stress after a few hours. Sputnik 2 actually orbited for a couple of months before re-entering the atmosphere.
That's just horrible, poor dog.

OT: it'll be sweet revenge for the poor dog they murdered, I might even get it though it's a genre I don't usually play.