Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition: Move Fast or Miss Out

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition: Move Fast or Miss Out

Prestige Edition [http://www.infinityward.com/] of Modern Warfare 2 had better get one while they can, because unlike many other "limited edition" game releases, this one really will be limited.

Special edition game releases can be fun but the promise of exclusivity for the truly hardcore fan can be misleading. Sometimes publishers churn them out by the truckload and in other cases they simply fail to sell because the price is too high for what's in the box. In either situation, the so-called "limited" editions remain readily available for years after the initial release, often priced significantly lower than the standard version when it was released.

Not so with the IGN [http://modernwarfare2.infinityward.com/]. "It started out with just a cool stylized case with a fake flashbang and some dogtags, but everyone does dogtags and cool cases. We wanted something that blew you way."

"We've already been asked by retailers to up the production numbers due to demand, which we immediately denied," Bowling said. "We decided from the beginning that we want this to be for the hardcore fans and early adopters. The fact that it is actually limited is one of the coolest parts, which is why we've individually numbered every copy."

"It was important to us that this be a true collectors' edition and as such, we do one run, and it's finished," he added. "The Prestige Edition is NOT something you're going to be seeing on the cheap 2 months after launch."

In other words, if you want one, you better be in line early.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Damn. Looks like I actually need to preorder this. At least this edition will actually be limited.

(*Looks over at Halo 3 legendary edition*)

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I'm going to try my luck and wait for them to appear of Fleabay.
The Halo Helmet's gone cheap so why not this one...

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Great, now eBay is going to be filled with those bloody night vision goggles.

Still, it's nice to see that the people behind marketing at Infinity Ward have some god damm common sense. Every time I go to my local games store, I see literally PILES of Halo 3's Legendary Edition sitting in a corner. "Limited Editions" rarely sell after the hype wears down (unless the cost is cut severely), so, once again, props to Infinity Ward.

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
Meh, not worth it. I'll just get the regular version... It's hard to make that kind of dough when you get less than minimum wage. XP

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
This is starting to get obnoxious. I am a die hard CoD fan since the first, and you know something is wrong when I call foul. First of all, I think the prestidge edition is a waste of money anyway, but to do the same thing as the PS3 did is just stupid. Now what? People driving by with BB guns at walmarts again. Seriously, this is fucking ridiculous. *generic fanboy rage*

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
[hr]Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition PC: Don't Bother Moving Because You Aren't Getting a Prestige Edition.[hr]

C**ts.

Pigletdude

Sep 13, 2008
I admit at first I was like, "OMFG night goggles" then I remember I'm programmed to want to bone all special or limmited or "collector" edition versions, then I also thought... hey just hwat the fuck am I gonna use em for, pissing around with friends maybe? But for over £120? Fuck off, besides all the girls would call me a geekAZOID for buying such a nerdy thing.

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
Pigletdude said:
I admit at first I was like, "OMFG night goggles" then I remember I'm programmed to want to bone all special or limmited or "collector" edition versions, then I also thought... hey just hwat the fuck am I gonna use em for, pissing around with friends maybe? But for over £120? Fuck off, besides all the girls would call me a geekAZOID for buying such a nerdy thing.
Yeah I see what you mean, other than fooling around with them, theres really no other use for them. But if I did want to get it I would just try my luck on the internet, Ebay away!

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I'll stick to buying it second hand so the retailer gets all my cash, thanks.

And knowing CEX where I buy all my used games from, they'll still manage to get a few special editions in stock.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
I'm still waiting for the announcement for the Hardened PC version. Can't find it anywhere. Yet. (Because if those tards at IW ignore us PC-gamers any more I will rampage.)

hapipdalia

Mar 17, 2009
I acutely count myself as a lucky one! i ordered a copy the day it showed up on my online shop, witch turned out to be a really smart move, since it was full booked the day after!(I Sweden anyway, and i am talking about the 360 version of course)

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Well, this is slightly annoying. Guess I'll have to buy the regular version instead of waiting for prices on the Limited Edition to go down.