Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection Gets Series Spanning Trailer

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection Gets Series Spanning Trailer

Konami's new trailer reminds players just how long Metal Gear has been around.

In the midst of the complaints and excesses that sometimes dog the Metal Gear franchise, it can be easy to forget just how long run and revolutionary, in many ways, the series has been. If it's slipped your mind however, we may have just the ticket to remind you. With the July 9th release of Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection just around the corner, Konami has released a trailer that chronicles the progression of the franchise from its earliest roots on the MSX in 1987 all the way up to Metal Gear Solid 4.

The trailer also does a fair job of reminding how much of a bargain The Legacy Collection is. A PS3 exclusive it includes eight canonical titles on two discs selling for a mere $49.99. Considering that each game in the series is an arguable epic, it's a package that will, in the least, keep you busy for awhile. Adding some icing to the cake The Legacy Collection also includes the game Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, two digital graphic novels that tie in to the series' story and a one-hundred page art book. Sadly, while it includes its fellow PSP title Peace Walker, the collection excludes Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops.

All of this said, you could make the argument that gamers, even hardcore fans who love the franchise, may not be willing to spend another fifty dollars on games they probably own several times over. The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, which contains many of the same games, was just released in 2011, after all. That being the case, you'd be wise not to underestimate the propensity of fans to buy things they don't really need.

Source: <a href=gematsu.com/2013/06/metal-gear-solid-the-legacy-collection-trailer>Gematsu

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I.. did not know about this.. WHY DID I NOT?!

I must go now. Preorder. Drool. Fangasm. In varied order.

Fodder Aplenty

Nov 3, 2011
Oh man, if my Ps3 Wasn't bricked i would preorder it right now. glad i saw this anyway, was thinking of getting the HD collection.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
This has strangely been on been on Metal Gear wiki since before E3, yet there doesn't ever seem to have been any press for it.

I am hoping this game will be amongst the first that the PS4 will be able to "stream" play using it so far un-detailed backwards compatibility or that they just release a PS4 version later.

MG4 is a game I always wanted to play, but I am never going to buy a PS3.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Here's what the collection looks like:

According to Konami [http://www.konami.com/games/metal-gear-solid:-the-legacy-collection], MGS1 and VR Missions are both PSN download vouchers for the PSOne Classics versions of the games (basically, the originals with an emulator). Additionally, from the picture, we can see that one of the discs is just MGS4. This leaves the other disc with 2, 3, and Peace Walker, or exactly the same games as HD collection.

If I had to guess, I'd say they're literally reusing the discs from HD Collection and MGS4 (Greatest Hits version) and slapping new labels on them. It's the ultimate in lazy, and it wouldn't be the first time Konami pulled this stunt [http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Collection-Playstation-2/dp/B001383L36].

I am disappoint.

P.S. Thanks

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Ooo Metal Gear was released the same year I was born; I did not know that. So the whole franchise is as old as me, cool!

I'm conflicted about this. I already own all these games several times over. But on the other hand... I'm a real sucker for completing a set and having these all-in-one-place sort of editions.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Proverbial Jon said:
Ooo Metal Gear was released the same year I was born; I did not know that. So the whole franchise is as old as me, cool!

I'm conflicted about this. I already own all these games several times over. But on the other hand... I'm a real sucker for completing a set and having these all-in-one-place sort of editions.
Same year as me too, and I have them all as well, but I'm getting it anyway for the art book and graphic novels. Plus I'll give the ones I own to a friend of mine who I've been trying to get to play these games forever.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
So many good moments in that trailer. Metal Gear really knows how to make things that stick with you

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Trailer music is god awful. It's not that the scoring is awful, it's just they used crappy sound libraries.
Quicksilver_Phoenix said:
Hey, i've never actually played a MGS game. Are they actually any good/would this be a good way to get into the series?
MGS3 and MGS4 are mostly the same, but the rest differ between themselves a fair bit in gameplay.

I'd probably consider playing it canonically which could be interesting as the games are fairly standalone in terms plot elements (3, PW, 1, 2, 4) or in release order. Also technically Metal Gear 1 and 2 (very old games) should be between PW and 1 as they show the change of Big Boss (as well as all the other releases that are canonical and aren't spinoffs like AC1D).

Definitely finish with 4 at any rate as the not only will the plot be confusing when you first play it but it's a nice tie-up to the series (although NANOMACHINES! pissed a lot of people off).