Steam Workshop Allows Creators To Pay It Forward

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Steam Workshop Allows Creators To Pay It Forward

People who earn good money creating and selling items on the Steam Workshop are now able to share their gains with those who've aided their efforts.

Valve Software's Steam Workshop service is brilliant. Not only does it offer players a single, easy to use resource for the modifications that make gaming on a computer so appealing, but it also allows players to create and profit from their creations. Now those players can share the spoils of their work with others. As Valve states, "creating high quality content for games is rarely a solo endeavor." Now if you pull in a significant amount of cash by selling a hand-crafted hat for Team Fortress 2 you're able to split your earnings with the people who made the tools you used and anyone who assisted in your work.

Best of all, this allotment is not pulled from a player's own royalties, but is instead lifted from Valve's cut of the cash. Earmark a 20-percent wage for that guy who built the skin for your hypothetical, virtual hat and you'll still see the same amount of cash while said designer will also earn a bit of money and (importantly) official recognition of his contribution to the project.

The biggest caveat of this scheme is that the list of groups/individuals you can share your money with are currently pre-determined by Valve. The firm claims to have assembled a list of the most common, prolific tool makers and community members who would be likely to receive official propers and some money, which is helpful, but certainly more restrictive than an open system that allows players to transfer royalties to anyone with a pulse.

This new scheme is currently active in Team Fortress 2 and DOTA 2, though we'd expect that with success Valve will roll the program out to other Steam titles.

Source: Steam [http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/1819734886367365945]

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
Valve. Makes system that costs them more money by taking part of their share. Can't fix greenlight, a system that would bring them more money.

I think it's clear. Valve hates money.

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
Cecilo said:
Valve. Makes system that costs them more money by taking part of their share. Can't fix greenlight, a system that would bring them more money.

They don't hate it, they just don't need anymore of it. I bet they finally got the last bathroom fully gold plated.

I'm happy this is out of their share though, at first I thought this would come out of the creators earnings.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Cecilo said:

Well compared to other companies and corporations who would do anything for cash, I say more power to them.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
So steam is working towards giving part of their money share to the Blender Foundation?
Jesus is my favourite guy of all time, but Newell is definitely getting there.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
ravenshrike said:
Coach Morrison said:
Cecilo said:

They don't hate it, they just don't need anymore of it. I bet they finally got the last bathroom fully gold plated.

I'm happy this is out of their share though, at first I thought this would come out of the creators earnings.
Gold plating is too ostentatious. Their bathrooms are done entirely in platinum and anodized titanium.
Its winter here in Australia (yes we have a winter) and all this comment makes me think of is how freaking cold those toilet seats would be.
But then I remember that they could pay for heated toilet seats, or just hire people to sit on them all day to keep the seat warm.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
All hail Valve, for creating new reasons every day to make these news-articles that I can link to people constantly saying that Valve is as evil and incompetent as Microsoft.

And no, that aint on fanboy forums. It's on these ones. So I don't have to walk far (grabs a link)

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Coach Morrison said:
Cecilo said:

They don't hate it, they just don't need anymore of it.
Oh please, they just found another way to get to it. This new Steam trading cards and Steam level thing is nothing but a cash grab, counting on people's collector OCD to compel them to make use of the community market, which Valve takes a cut from.

I actually find the way it was implemented an uncharacteristically sleazy move on Valve's part, to be honest.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
fletch_talon said:
Its winter here in Australia (yes we have a winter) and all this comment makes me think of is how freaking cold those toilet seats would be.
But then I remember that they could pay for heated toilet seats, or just hire people to sit on them all day to keep the seat warm.
I've been there in your winter, it's not winter if I wear a t-shirt as the only chest clothing outside (granted it was freezing at Ayers Rock at 6:00)

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Boris Goodenough said:
fletch_talon said:
I've been there in your winter, it's not winter if I wear a t-shirt as the only chest clothing outside (granted it was freezing at Ayers Rock at 6:00)
I'll admit that its still nothing special but I live in a place in the mountains in South Queensland, it gets a bit chillier here than the red center or more northern parts.
Also our house has shitty insulation, it has an open air garage/laundry underneath it and I swear there's nothing between the floorboards and the carpet. The wind blows under the house and right up into it.

And to be fair you only got to wear a shirt cuz you're a tourist, the government illegalised anything other than blue singlets, stubby shorts and thongs (flip flops) for citizens. They said it promoted tourism and gave visitors the "true Aussie experience".

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
Vegosiux said:
Coach Morrison said:
Cecilo said:

They don't hate it, they just don't need anymore of it.
Oh please, they just found another way to get to it. This new Steam trading cards and Steam level thing is nothing but a cash grab, counting on people's collector OCD to compel them to make use of the community market, which Valve takes a cut from.

I actually find the way it was implemented an uncharacteristically sleazy move on Valve's part, to be honest.
The trading cards that you can easily collect a full pair of for a game by using friends and the community or just waiting? The ones that only the die hard collectors will use the marketplace heavily for? They already have the money when you add to your steam wallet, they get nothing when you grab something off the marketplace since all your doing is trading a number they gave you in exchange for your cash earlier. On top of that you can't tell me that the money made off the community items can compare to anything these cards will give them.

Valve has done obvious cash grabs in the past, but this does not look like one. It just seems like a fun distraction for when your done playing. At least until they add the option to buy booster packs.