Wolfenstein Leaked Online

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Wolfenstein Leaked Online

A multiplayer build of the upcoming shooter id Software [http://www.wolfenstein.com/] has promised to rain down death and destruction - or at least a forum ban - on anyone who admits to having it.

A message posted on the Wolfenstein forum [http://www.wolfenstein.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=773] by Community Manager Peter Sokal revealed that a multiplayer build of Wolfenstein had been leaked on July 31 and was being distributed online. He advised gamers to stay away from the pre-release build or, at the very least, to keep their mouths shut about it, saying that anyone who publicly acknowledges having it will be immediately banned.

"I must warn anyone involved that Activision's [http://www.activision.com] legal department is taking this matter very seriously," Sokal wrote. "Same applies here on the forums. If you mention that you have acquired this build, you are openly admitting to illegally obtaining the build and will be banned straight away. You have been warned."

"With regards to any footage, screenshots and comments posted here and all over the internet, an important thing to keep in mind is that these were not created from a build of the game that was final or consumer ready," he continued. "There's nothing we can do about it now except continue working on the game."

Wolfenstein is scheduled for release on August 18 for the PC, PlayStation 3 [http://www.xbox.com].

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Why can't they just put a little bit of identification code in every prerelease copy so they can at least sue the heck out of whoever leaks it? I mean weren't Sims 3 and Demigod big enough examples already? :S

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Great, another leaked game I can't play cause of my crappy computer.

[small]*kicks his computer across the room*[/small]

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
headshotcatcher said:
Why can't they just put a little bit of identification code in every prerelease copy so they can at least sue the heck out of whoever leaks it? I mean weren't Sims 3 and Demigod big enough examples already? :S
Maybe because that's totally impractical and probably wouldn't work anyway?

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:

^ tell me about it lol.
I would suggest you build your own, its cheaper and not as hard as it looks. I'll admit its scary as hell the first time because you'll be paranoid of frying the parts but its a useful skill.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hate it when people leak that stuff. It makes the company paranoid and you don't want a company to get so fed up they go on a crusade to destroy anyone they suspect of having an illegal copy. It will end up like SPORE. (you can only download the CD 3 times and then it will be useless)

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Nimbus said:
headshotcatcher said:
Open code, put #0001 in it, send to first person and note the name. Open second code, put #0002 in it, and so on and so on.. (There are probably programs for that as well so yea

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
I forgot this game included multiplayer. But a forum ban isn't really going to stop anyone from playing this.
Yeah. Which is better, being able to post on an interweb forum, or getting an early look to a supposedly amazing game's multiplayer?

Of course, the ethical person could just wait a few weeks to purchase it, no?

Feb 13, 2008
Ve shall not haff any tock about de release. There will be rivers of bans before ve are villing to desist.
Ve are the creators and the destroyers of accounts. Ve shall not rest until the perpetrators are brought before us and shot!

And on this one occasion, you can't accuse me of Godwin. :)

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
headshotcatcher said:
Nimbus said:
headshotcatcher said:
Open code, put #0001 in it, send to first person and note the name. Open second code, put #0002 in it, and so on and so on.. (There are probably programs for that as well so yea
First off, they would have to recompile the entire thing for each and every copy. Totally impractical. Secondly, they would have to use email instead of a more sane method of distribution such as SVN or an FTP server. Thirdly, the pirates would easily be able to remove the code.

QuirkyTambourine

Jul 26, 2009
JWAN said:
HardRockSamurai said:

^ tell me about it lol.
I would suggest you build your own, its cheaper and not as hard as it looks. I'll admit its scary as hell the first time because you'll be paranoid of frying the parts but its a useful skill.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hate it when people leak that stuff. It makes the company paranoid and you don't want a company to get so fed up they go on a crusade to destroy anyone they suspect of having an illegal copy. It will end up like SPORE. (you can only download the CD 3 times and then it will be useless)
Yes but Spore was the most pirated game of...2008? Because of the DRM they installed and the user frustration over not having full ownership of something that they purchased.

Also, you win a cookie for Best Avatar Ever.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Nimbus said:
headshotcatcher said:
Nimbus said:
headshotcatcher said:
First off, they would have to recompile the entire thing for each and every copy. Totally impractical. Secondly, they would have to use email instead of a more sane method of distribution such as SVN or an FTP server. Thirdly, the pirates would easily be able to remove the code.
First and second points: I'm sure there aren't THAT many people getting the prerelease copy that it doesn't weigh up to you being able to sue whoever spreads it or at least prevent said person to do so...

As for the third,
If the pirates wouldn't know about it they wouldn't remove it either. You could also instead of #0001 call it a certain hexadecimal thing or just a letter sequence somewhere in the middle of the code. Pirates probably don't run through the entire code of a game checking what's what now do they?

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
QuirkyTambourine said:
JWAN said:
HardRockSamurai said:

^ tell me about it lol.
Yes but Spore was the most pirated game of...2008? Because of the DRM they installed and the user frustration over not having full ownership of something that they purchased.

Also, you win a cookie for Best Avatar Ever.
lol whoever pirated SPORE was proly REALLY pissed.
6 hours of hacking later...
"This is the whole fucking game !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!WTFMTDDUKWDVDJ#@*&$^*&@#^&#@*&@$%"???????

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Why don't they just sue everyone that openly admits to having obtained the game illegally? Would it just take too long?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
so, wait, the game is not complete 12 days from release?

sure, sure, i believe them /sarcasm

hansari

May 31, 2009
headshotcatcher said:
\
If the pirates wouldn't know about it they wouldn't remove it either. You could also instead of #0001 call it a certain hexadecimal thing or just a letter sequence somewhere in the middle of the code. Pirates probably don't run through the entire code of a game checking what's what now do they?
Don't underestimate what pirates can do man... think of the millions of dollars that have already been lost...

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
hansari said:
headshotcatcher said:
\
Don't underestimate what pirates can do man... think of the millions of dollars that have already been lost...
But if they put that code in they can sue whoever leaked it for the money they lost..

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
headshotcatcher said:
Nimbus said:
headshotcatcher said:
You seem to be oblivious to the QA process. One build is sent to the QA team, they then make multiple copies on whatever platform and distribute each one to the testers. Of course most test teams have a numerical code on the DVD itself that identifies it and each tester must sign out a copy.

They keep any superfluous code and DRM out of pre-release builds to ensure that the product will function on its own. Going in and manually adding comments on the code before compiling your builds would be a huge waste of time and resources. Game Companies area already having financial issues as it is. The last thing they need is a time consuming system that slows down the entire QA process.

Also, the person who leaked the build will most likely get caught if it was done internally.