Deadpool Review - Hit-or-Miss Humor, Solid Action

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Deadpool Review - Hit-or-Miss Humor, Solid Action

Behind the 4th wall-breaking protagonist and crude humor lies a fun hack-and-slasher.

Read Full Article

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Every other review or opinion I've seen seems to say the exact opposite: hit-or-miss action, solid humor. Huh.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
Why didn't they just go for a similar control scheme to the new DMC.

That would fit Deadpool perfectly.
Your right, Devil May Cry 4's gameplay would have been a perfect fit for this game....you ARE talking about Devil May Cry 4...RIGHT?

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Infernai said:
Abandon4093 said:

Your right, Devil May Cry 4's gameplay would have been a perfect fit for this game....you ARE talking about Devil May Cry 4...RIGHT?

come on man, turn your smartass off, the new DMC had fantastic controls

OT: as fun as it is, I think the combat can be pretty damn clunky, which makes the gameplay especially sour for me given that I'm also playing through Bayonetta
as for the humor, I think that even if the jokes fail, North's performance saves them with his amazing acting
it's one of those performances that you really cannot picture the character with another voice

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Wait, this is yet another game voiced by Nolan North? Is he leaving anything to other voice actors in the business?

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
teh_Canape said:
Infernai said:
Abandon4093 said:

come on man, turn your smartass off, the new DMC had fantastic controls
But...if i turn my smart-ass off then my dumbass turns on. You don't want to see my dumbass side, he's part of the Sonic Fandom.

But i don't know why you insulted me when we agree that Devil May Cry 4 had fantastic controls!

Non-Smartass version- Alright, i will admit that DmC had ok mechanics and controls. They certainly weren't bad and on their own merits they make for a decent hack and slash game. But in comparison to the rest of the DMC series, it's not that great..and honestly, i just really think Devil May Cry 4 had the best mechanics of the series (Talking about Dante's gameplay here). If they'd done something like Dante's style system in this game, it could have been something amazing.

shiajun said:
Wait, this is yet another game voiced by Nolan North? Is he leaving anything to other voice actors in the business?
To be fair, Nolan North does a damned good Deadpool and he was already the character in animated/gaming media beforehand so it's not too much of a problem.

GameChanger

Sep 5, 2011
His voice, attitude and laugh remind me of awful youtube commenters such as Tobuscus. Thanks but I'll let this one pass.

I just hoped game devs had grown a sense of humor. Heck, even Mass Effect 2 made me laugh more than this game.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Infernai said:
To be fair, Nolan North does a damned good Deadpool and he was already the character in animated/gaming media beforehand so it's not too much of a problem.
Actually his first voice was John Kassir. This might be the nostalgia talking but I do prefer his voice to North's. Kassir's Deadpool sounds more demented and insane as opposed to North's Deadpool.

Example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxdIZ11VCRA

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
shiajun said:
Yes, but Troy Baker is taking whatever's left.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
Infernai said:
Abandon4093 said:

Didn't like DMC4.

Too much Nero.

The new DMC by Ninja theory was great though. Might not have been what fans were hoping for, but as a game. Nothing wrong with it. And the controls were fantastic.
I admit DMC 4 had it's short comings in alot of ways, but i still think that Dante's gameplay mechanics are arguably among the best of the series, the reboot included.

As for DmC....well......to say i hated it is an understatement. For fear of derailing this thread i won't go into much more detail and i did cover this in a previous post but:

As a game on it's own merits? DmC is an average hack and slash. By no means Terrible and is definitely far from unplayable, probably would have enjoyed it more if it hadn't been a Devil May Cry game. But, definitely better Hack and Slashers on the Market.

As a Devil May Cry game? Let's just say i found it bad and leave it at that..

But hey, different people like different stuff. Guess i just have to try to keep my inner fanboy calm whenever that new DmC is brought up.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Infernai said:
I admit DMC 4 had it's short comings in alot of ways, but i still think that Dante's gameplay mechanics are arguably among the best of the series, the reboot included.
DMC4 was so dull, solid combat mechanics, but dull. I'd take the shody controls and angsty story of 2 as long as we got its epic set pieces.

OT: I was really interested in how this game panned out story wise, Deadpool seems like one of those characters who could easily become a Dane Cook knock off.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
>Comes to comments for Deadpool game review.
>People disgussing DMC

GAHHHH!

Anyway, as a fan of Deadpool, It'd take a lot for me to get tired of him. All they had to do was not fuck up the controls and the melee stuff turned out great. The shooting could use some work though.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I personally felt the story had heart and I loved it.

The game mechanics were on par, but that's how I feel about ALL action adventure games.

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
Neat review that tends to hurry up a bit at the end. I'll keep an eye out for this game when it's a bargain on Steam.

Paul, that's a much improved VO performance for your review when it comes to clarity, i.e. speech intelligibility. Nice improvement.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Deshin said:
Infernai said:
Actually his first voice was John Kassir. This might be the nostalgia talking but I do prefer his voice to North's. Kassir's Deadpool sounds more demented and insane as opposed to North's Deadpool.

Example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxdIZ11VCRA
Lord that reminds me how much I miss Kassir.
SO.
FREAKING.
MUCH.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I enjoyed the hell out of this game, I don't think I've laughed so much at a game before.

It was definitely worth the purchase, that and I love Deadpool as a character.