Xbox President Don Mattrick Leaving For Zynga - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Xbox President Don Mattrick Leaving For Zynga - UPDATED

It's now confirmed - Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business President Don Mattrick is leaving the company to assume the mantle of CEO at Zynga.

Don Mattrick of Microsoft has been in the public eye over the past several weeks for all the wrong reasons, but today's rumor that he's pulling up stakes is a big surprise nonetheless. According to "multiple sources close to the situation," Mattrick is leaving Microsoft just as the company is spooling up for the launch of the Xbox One, quite possible to take over top spot at struggling social gaming company Zynga.

Despite the backlash against Mattrick's performance [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124891-Microsoft-Exec-Offline-Gamers-Should-Stick-With-Xbox-360] at E3, losing him at this very critical juncture is bound to be a headache for Microsoft. And if he does report for duty at Zynga, it could also be a disappointment for Electronic Arts, which is (or at least was) reportedly giving him a serious look as the replacement for former CEO John Riccitiello.

The whole thing is a rumor at this point but the sources said an official announcement could come today after the close of markets. We'll update if and when we hear more.

Source: All Things D [http://allthingsd.com/20130701/exclusive-microsofts-entertainment-head-don-mattrick-leaving-to-take-top-role-possibly-ceo-at-zynga/?mod=tweet]

UPDATE: Zynga has now officially confirmed that Don Mattrick is joining the company as its new chief executive.

The rumor that came to light earlier today regarding Don Mattrick's departure from Microsoft for the green fields of Zynga have now been made official. In a message posted on the Zynga company blog [http://blog.zynga.com/2013/07/01/big-day/], founder and soon-to-be-former CEO Mark Pincus announced that Mattrick will in fact take over as CEO, while Pincus will stay on as Chairman and Chief Product Officer.

"Over the last few months I've spent a lot of time thinking about all that we have achieved together as a company. We have pioneered social gaming and helped make Play a core part of millions of people's lives. But Zynga has so much more potential ahead, the opportunity to be an Internet Treasure and deliver on our mission of connecting the world through games," Pincus wrote.

"As I reflect on the past six years, I realize that I've had the greatest impact working as an entrepreneur with product teams, developing games that could entertain and connect millions," he continued. "I've always said to Bing and our Board that if I could find someone who could do a better job as our CEO I'd do all I could to recruit and bring that person in. I'm confident that Don is that leader."

Mattrick will officially take the reins of Zynga next week.

Dec 14, 2009
Wat

Did he decide that he really enjoys fucking up and joined the most fuckingest up game company in the industry?

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
...I...What?...

This is something I sure as shit didn't see coming O_O
Just if he was the president of that branch of MS, then he approved all the Xbone shit, right?

And Zynga want the guy who thought the Xbone was a good idea?...

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
This is a whole new level of weird s£&t. How bad is it at Microsoft that you look at zynga as a step up?

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
So you could say that, at the end of the business day, Mattrick may pull a 180? [http://mirrors.rit.edu/instantCSI/]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

Oh man, of all the places to jump ship to.

It's like jumping out of the frying pan into a giant pile of radioactive shit. That is also on fire. And about to crash into an iceberg.

If it's true, it could be interesting to see who the replacement will be at Xbox, considering I can't think of anyone in particular has covered themselves in glory during the last while at Microsoft.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
This is hilarious, if true. I remain somewhat sceptical, however.

EDIT: My scepticism was misplaced. Hm.

viggih7

Mar 31, 2009
God damnit escapist, I was trying to eat breakfast and when I read the headline I almost lost the contents in my mouth from laughter. Please, some consideration

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Perhaps he thought "fek it. At lease at zynga you can't fek up any worst then they are. Screw it. I'll look fekin great over there!" Or perhaps he had enough of having a piece of A4 being slapped on hs back that read "I am a cockhead".

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
I really hope this is true - the thought of him taking the reins of EA is more than a little frightening.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Don't let an always online internet connection hit your ass on the way out, Don.

This is good news on all fronts. Don Mattrick would be safety tucked away where he can't do damage to anything of value.

Oh, and to throw it out there- Ballmer's been talking about restructuring Microsoft, so maybe ol' Don wasn't feeling good about his chances of being in his current position for much longer.

aramisx

Jul 1, 2013
Well, after he was so dismissive during E3 about all of Xbox One's shortfalls, and his attitude about service members who wouldn't be able to use XB1, can't say I didn't see this coming.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
I've never seen someone abandon a sinking ship for a ship that has already sunk...

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
My only reaction was to laugh.

Picture every hysterical laughter gif on the internet.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Perhaps he was planning to leave Microsoft all along and decided to screw up the Xbone's announcement as a last minute "goodbye"?

Or maybe he is like a bloodhound for failure?

Voren

Jun 26, 2010
Am I the only one who looks at his pictures and expects to hear "AHYUCK!" with Goofy's voice?

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
Ow... ow... I had a canker sore inside my cheek that I set off when I burst into laughter upon reading this.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Voren said:
Am I the only one who looks at his pictures and expects to hear "AHYUCK!" with Goofy's voice?
You know, I didn't, but now that you've brought it up, I will never again not expect it. It makes that picture so much funnier.