Halo Warthog Celebrates LGBT Pride In Seattle

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Halo Warthog Celebrates LGBT Pride In Seattle

Seattle's annual Pride parade got an extra boost from the recent DOMA decision.

"It was wonderful to be a part of and to know that we are living in an area that is so supportive of equal rights for everyone," says Sarah, writing on the blog Sarah and Ryan In Seattle. The transplanted Canadians managed to get more than a few shots of the annual Pride parade, which enjoyed an extra boost thanks to the recent DOMA decision [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125413-SCOTUS-Overturns-Ban-on-Same-Sex-Marriage]. "It's really a big deal," said one parade attendee to the Seattle Times. "We're happy to be on the right side of history." So, by the look of Sarah and Ryan's snaps, was a certain Halo character, with a Warthog in all the colors of the rainbow.

The Twitter [https://twitter.com/k_wolfkill/status/351523758143578113] shout-out from 343 Industries, currently in charge of the franchise. "We were honored to celebrate Seattle's Pride Parade this weekend with a special appearance from the Halo Warthog," said a 343 representative, "and thank the community and parade organizers for letting us contribute to the festivities."

The parade, which marched 12 blocks, had a wide range of floats and entries on display. Judging by the Seattle Times' photo gallery [http://seattletimes.com/html/photogalleries/localnews2021303102/index.html], marriage was a popular theme this year.

Source: Sarah and Ryan In Seattle [http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/02/halo-warthog-gets-rainbow-colors-in-seattle-pride-parade/]

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Given that most people who play Halo online will probably be called a 'fag' sooner or later, this seems appropriate.

Arkitext

Mar 25, 2008
Had hoped this was some sort of official Bungie PR stunt, to try to limit the homophobia in their online games.

What a great idea that would be, eh?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Sorry guys, but I still don't see how "equal rights for everyone" translates into having a yearly parade celebrating your frickin' sexuality. No. One. Cares. Anymore. The fact that most polls show the majority of the country is now in favor of gay marriage and the striking down of that DOMA decision prove that being gay is nothing to celebrate anymore, nor is it anything to be worried about either. I'll consider the gay pride parades to be a celebration of equal rights when there's a straight pride parade just so everything can be nice and "fair" and everyone can have their own little parade. Do you have any idea how much hate a straight pride parade would garner? How many protests there would be accusing the organizers of being homophobic bigots?

As for the inclusion of fictional characters into the parade, I don't have anything in particular against that...though I really enjoy Sesame Street's response to people urging them to make Burt and Ernie come out of the closet: "They're frickin' puppets, they don't HAVE a sexual orientation."

I'm not trying to be a hater here, all I'm saying is that being gay is not nearly as big of a deal as it was a decade or two or even half a century ago. The parades served a purpose once, much like how the marches during the civil rights movement served a purpose. But now to the straight community it seems like they're just rubbing it in.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Master Chief doesn't really support gay people, he just heard they were destroying the Covenant of marriage and wanted in on the action.
You are a terrible human being Devious, but that was very funny.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Can I get a warthog with Sarah Palin on it for Conservative Pride?

Just askin'.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Master Chief doesn't really support gay people, he just heard they were destroying the Covenant of marriage and wanted in on the action.
*Begins glassing your region of the planet.*

And you were doing so well recently too...
Arkitext said:
Had hoped this was some sort of official Bungie PR stunt, to try to limit the homophobia in their online games.

What a great idea that would be, eh?
Bungie is no longer involved with Halo. Now it's just Microsoft and 343 Industries (the MS subsidiary), one of the more openly supportive companies regarding gay rights..

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
omicron1 said:

Just askin'.
There's an anti-gay day? I thought conservatives just called that tuesday?

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
OhJohnNo said:
omicron1 said:

Just askin'.
Conservatives haven't been oppressed for the last few decades.
Just the last decade or so.
Worgen said:
omicron1 said:

Just askin'.
Conservaphobic smears aren't cool, sir.
And if people think they are, that in itself is a major problem.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
omicron1 said:
OhJohnNo said:
omicron1 said:

Just askin'.
You really think that? You honestly think Conservatives in the last decade have been discriminated against at all, let alone on a comparable level to homosexuals?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
omicron1 said:
Yes they are cool, although if so many of them stopped disguising bigotry as "values" it wouldn't be.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
omicron1 said:
OhJohnNo said:
omicron1 said:

Just askin'.
Worgen said:
omicron1 said:

Just askin'.
I live in tx, I'm entitled. Soon as conservatives here stop being jackasses and trying to take away rights then I'll stop calling them out on it.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
J Tyran said:
omicron1 said:
Yes they are cool, although if so many of them stopped disguising bigotry as "values" it wouldn't be.
First problem: Calling values 'bigotry'. The argument being made is, basically, "my views are inherently better than yours so shut up you bigot." Which is not a valid argument.
Worgen said:
omicron1 said:
OhJohnNo said:
omicron1 said:

Just askin'.
Worgen said:
omicron1 said:

Just askin'.
I live in tx, I'm entitled. Soon as conservatives here stop being jackasses and trying to take away rights then I'll stop calling them out on it.
You can't take away what hasn't been given. And letting people give new rights does not make people's opposition of giving those new rights less valid.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
omicron1 said:
J Tyran said:
omicron1 said:
First problem: Calling values 'bigotry'. The argument being made is, basically, "my views are inherently better than yours so shut up you bigot." Which is not a valid argument.
Worgen said:
omicron1 said:
OhJohnNo said:
omicron1 said:

Just askin'.
Worgen said:
omicron1 said:

Just askin'.
You can't take away what hasn't been given. And letting people give new rights does not make people's opposition of giving those new rights less valid.
I see you haven't been following the state trying to do its damnedest to outlaw abortions without having to worry about the us supreme court slapping them. Plus the conservatives here gave us the gift of extreme political redistricting, with extreme spelled Xtreme.