World of Warplanes Enters Open Beta

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
World of Warplanes Enters Open Beta

The free-to-play MMO flight simulator World of Warplanes is now open to all.

In North America, at least, World of Warplanes is not a mainstream attraction - it's been two decades since flight sims were "big" around these parts and most gamers today don't even own a joystick. But for those who do, the game's open beta might be just the thing to take care of an itch that's gone unscratched for too long.

The World of Warplanes open beta will launch with aircraft from the U.S., the Soviet Union (Yak attack!), Germany and Japan in PvP matches with up to 15 fighters per side. A tutorial mode has been introduced to ease new pilots into the action, while a "real-time tactical feedback system" will help players figure out the best ways to survive the unfriendly skies. Players who took part in the closed beta will receive "special prizes" as thanks for their assistance, and Wargaming said that the late stages of the open beta will see the introduction of the "Unified Premium Account" system, which will extend premium account benefits purchased in either World of Warplanes or World of Tanks to both games.

The warbird nerd in me is compelled to note the rather odd exclusion of British planes, meaning that famous fighters like the Spitfire, Hurricane, Mosquito and Meteor won't be on the tarmac, although they'll presumably be added at some point in the future. For now, the air forces of four great mid-20th century powers should be enough to keep most joystick jockeys busy, although you might have to wait a bit to get in on the action: Mainstream or not, the World of Warplanes website [http://worldofwarplanes.com/] appears to be getting hammered, and is currently offline.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
Andy Chalk said:
In North America, at least
Damn, got all excited :/

I hope it doesn't take too long to open it up to the rest of the world. Currently I'm enjoying World of Tanks heaps and I can't wait to play World of Warplanes and World of Warships.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The warbird nerd in me is compelled to note the rather odd exclusion of British planes, meaning that famous fighters like the Spitfire, Hurricane, Mosquito and Meteor won't be on the tarmac, although they'll presumably be added at some point in the future.
Try WAR THUNDER [http://warthunder.com/]. They have what you want sir.

I'll try this game out but word on the street is, War Thunder is the better F2P warplane game :p

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I actually got the beta of World of Warplanes around a month or 2 ago, maybe I should finally get around to playing it.

Also between this, World of Warcraft and World of Warships we're gonna have a lotta WoW games around :p

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
SSJBlastoise said:
Andy Chalk said:
In North America, at least
Damn, got all excited :/
Oh, it's open to players in North America, I just meant that there aren't that many players here who will be all that terribly interested in it. Sorry for the confusion. Now go fly!

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
Andy Chalk said:
Oh, it's open to players in North America, I just meant that there aren't that many players here who will be all that terribly interested in it. Sorry for the confusion. Now go fly!
Haha nah, I knew what you meant, it's just that being in Australia I'll have to wait :/

Quick question for anyone playing it at the moment; what kind of game mode is it? Just a team deathmatch style? Because capture the flag wouldn't really work with planes lol

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
I love me some WoT and this is exactly what I've been waiting for. I'm a way better pilot than a tank commander lol.

Edit: Just played a few games of War Thunder and that game is so much fun! I finished in the top 2 every single game :/ don't know if everyone else just sucks lol

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I'm not sure Wargaming Inc. really gives a damn about non-Russians playing their games, especially Americans...there is some bias for sure.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Well, I guess the plus is that you can't endlessly camp in a fighter plane like people do in tanks. Might pick this up at some point.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
SSJBlastoise said:
Quick question for anyone playing it at the moment; what kind of game mode is it? Just a team deathmatch style? Because capture the flag wouldn't really work with planes lol
Think World of Tanks with planes.

Two teams square off at opposite end, one team wins when either the entire opposing team is shot down, or one team destroys the opposing team's ground assets (base/AA guns/radars etc) and then holds on long enough for the timer/victory bar that triggers to fill up.

It's quite good fun as the win bar see saws one way then the other as the battle unfolds. For the most part pilot skill is the deciding factor, although some of the aircraft weapons (notably German 30mm cannons) are ludicrously overpowered.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
No Brits, no dice. War Thunder lets you play them (and I can stick that one RCAF decal to all my British planes).

PerfectDeath

Mar 21, 2009
One of the big comparisons between War Thunder and World of Warplanes is how the games work. WoWP uses the same engine as World of Tanks (WOT) which is pretty limited compared with Gaijin's War Thunder. Gainjin has many developers experienced in flight sims like IL2 Sturmovik and Cliffs of Dover and you can see the experience.

Competition is good, Gaijin's War Thunder is going to try competing against WarGamming in the land and navy sides as well, WarGamming has the experience of a tank game so I'm hoping for some great Naval competition. =]