Stolen Pixels #114: So You Want to be an Indie Developer?

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #114: So You Want to be an Indie Developer?

Gamepunx proudly supports indie developers in all their failings.

Read Full Article

laryri

May 19, 2008
I would get Bwoop! on any of those 3 systems. But maybe that is just because I'm a sucker for indie games.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Yes where are the menitons of the Wii and PS3? Those two can be ripped apart just as easily

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Hehe nice one, although its sadly a bit true :(

Glefistus said:
What about Steam? Can't pirate that (well, you can, but only pros can, it filters out the idiots)
Thats what a lot of people think but yet games like Empire Total War are heavily pirated..

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
headshotcatcher said:

Glefistus said:
What about Steam? Can't pirate that (well, you can, but only pros can, it filters out the idiots)
Thats what a lot of people think but yet games like Empire Total War are heavily pirated..
But they deserve it, I doubt people would go out of their way so much to pirate bwoop!

The bottom line seems to be that if you want people to play your game then pc is the way to go.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Gotta love the name Bwoop by the way; it sounds like Braid's homosexual, indie cousin [small](twice removed.)[/small]

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
you forgot the 1% who just doesn't know how to pirate games and there for have to pay insane amounts for them like the suckers we are.

The Austin said:
I had a good idea for an Indie game. To bad I dont know how to make one.
theres allot of guides free on the net to help you learn the basics so that you can make it, it may take some time but at least it wont be very good and your only hope of people playing it is to make it free and add it to stumble upon.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
I've been wondering this for a while - Where does Travis get his T-Shirts?

I don't care if they're not real! They're awesome.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
swaki said:
you forgot the 1% who just doesn't know how to pirate games and there for have to pay insane amounts for them like the suckers we are.

The Austin said:
I had a good idea for an Indie game. To bad I dont know how to make one.
theres allot of guides free on the net to help you learn the basics so that you can make it, it may take some time but at least it wont be very good and your only hope of people playing it is to make it free and add it to stumble upon.
HOORAY!!!! MY DREAMS HAVE BEEN CRUSHED!!!!!! :p

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
AmrasCalmacil said:
I've been wondering this for a while - Where does Travis get his T-Shirts?

I don't care if they're not real! They're awesome.
He rages at the internet until a T-shirt with an internet phrase appears on him.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
DND Judgement said:
Susan Arendt said:
Duhhh...Bwoop is clearly meant for the Wii!
sounds more to me like a game for the DS...
... where it will be pirated and played on an R4.
Sorry, my mindset was still on the comic.

It's a sad truth about the Live Arcade titles. Some of the best and most fun games on there hardly get any attention.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
That's only what happens when you make a silly game like that. The whole purpose of indie games is to get noticed, not to make money.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Mullahgrrl said:
But they deserve it, I doubt people would go out of their way so much to pirate bwoop!
I....ho....What? A company makes a game, so it deserves to be ripped off and stolen? Call me an idiot, but I can't bridge the logic here.

Anyway, the high piracy rate of PC games is terrible especially for Indie companies. But I guess that is an aging tale of futility, toted by hypocrites like me at people like above.

On a side note, I want that shirt.

nmaster64

Nov 7, 2007
headshotcatcher said:
Glefistus said:
There's a box copy. Nobody hacks Steam copies when there's a box copy to easily take apart. You're only as strong as your weakest link...

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
nmaster64 said:
headshotcatcher said:
Glefistus said:
There's a box copy. Nobody hacks Steam copies when there's a box copy to easily take apart. You're only as strong as your weakest link...
Didn't you play it through steam?

Anyway a lot of other games (Goo, Braid, Psychonauts, Zeno Clash) that were only released on steam (right?) were heavily pirated as well..

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I thought the game was gonna be Edgy Edgerton.... Did you get scared of Mr. Langdell?

PodX140

Jul 1, 2009
Mullahgrrl said:
headshotcatcher said:

Glefistus said:

The bottom line seems to be that if you want people to play your game then pc is the way to go.
Sadly, with that mentality, world of goo wouldn't have been so viciously pirated, but it was. With truly astonishing rates, around 90%. Clearly, a game deserving it isn't good enough :(