Saints Row IV Marks The End Of A Saga

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Saints Row IV Marks The End Of A Saga

The imminent Saints Row IV will end the saga of the Third Street Saints as we know them, and the next chapter begins and entirely new story for the franchise.

That's according to principal designer Scott Phillips, who views Saints Row IV as the ultimate, over-the-top conclusion to the series' current incarnation.

"We're definitely considering Saints Row IV sort of the end of that saga of this character and the Saints as they are," Phillips told GameReactor in a recent interview. "So if there's any more future Saints Rows - which you know we always hope there will be, we hope there's fans for future games like that - they will probably continue in a different direction."

Given how wacky Saints Row III was, this makes a lot of sense as there's just not much left for the franchise to explore while maintaining its fan-favorite "Grand Theft Auto as filtered through the mind of an over-caffeinated 13-year-old" vibe. Those of you who have been following Saints Row IV will know that developer Volition goes above and beyond the crazy hijinks of its predecessor by placing characters in the shoes of the President of the United States who periodically battles aliens with superhuman powers. How do you top that? Guns that fire fetuses? A pet dog inexplicably voiced by Tipper Gore?

Comments below. Speculate wildly.

Source: GameReactor [http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/82954/Next+Saints+Row+to+%22continue+in+a+different+direction%22/]

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
So, it's not that the Saint's Row series is ending, it's just these character's story is (a-la Mass Effect)? I could probably live with that.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Since in the trailers I got a few glimpses of Shaundi from SR2 along side the Shaundi they introduced in SR3 I'm rather hoping it turns out SR3 and 4 never actually happened.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Probably the best decision unless you want to turn intergalactic... which probably wouldn't be out of the question entirely. But nevertheless, good news for the boss.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
I'd just like to have a city with as varied locations as Stillwater back, and all that high variety of NPCs that came with it. I mean, c'mon, stereotypical old ladies with walkers and spew typical old lady nonsense from their mouths then pull out switchblades when you fuck with them and can leap over fences to chase you, and barbershop quartets, and skaters, and, and rollerbladers, and powerwalkers, and joggers, and mall goths, jeez man it was fucking GREAT and the city actually felt ALIVE.

Perhaps the next saga will be about those who are part of the Third Street Saints that want to get the gang back to their roots and start a civil war with the current Saints?

Captcha: labour of love. It certainly would be.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
HOORAY!

...Of course, subsequent games will probably be of the "so over the top I can't stand it anymore" variety, but....

KeyMaster45 said:
Since in the trailers I got a few glimpses of Shaundi from SR2 along side the Shaundi they introduced in SR3 I'm rather hoping it turns out SR3 and 4 never actually happened.
Sadly, I'm betting it's either a clone or related to the VR, which means she's going to be there, but the game as a whole is likely to be the real thing.

A pity.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I want to find out what the hell happened to Dex. If you want to be wacky that's fine but could you tie up some loose ends first? It wouldn't have hurt to have an epilogue mission in SR:TT or SR:IV involving Dex would it?

BushMonstar

Jan 25, 2012
Yeah, after reading the achievements list, it really doesn't look like they can go anywhere else.

Major spoilers for one of the endings ahead, but based on the achievements:
The Boss ends up ruling the entire universe in one of the endings.

Yeah, they were able to go to being the president from the third's ending, but I don't really think there's anything else left after that. Kinda glad that they're ending this saga, and starting a new one.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
Speculate wildly, you say? Can do. Ahem.
Driving a dump truck full of exploding robo-puppies on fire that launches it's load on a spring, sending barking bombs everywhere?
Mass mind-control triggered by playing Micheal Jackson's Thriller, dancing accordingly?
A pogostick equipped with freeze rays that you can blast people with, then jump on the frozen bodies to shatter them?
A giant chainsaw blade that you can ride like a flying surfboard while whatever qualifies for surfing music plays?
Being able to listen to radio stations outside of a car again?

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
soren7550 said:
So, it's not that the Saint's Row series is ending, it's just these character's story is (a-la Mass Effect)? I could probably live with that.
Now I'm picturing the ending to this game.

"The Boss stumbles off of the platform to be greeted by STARCHILD, who tells them they have three options: Blue Red and Green... ..though with the way the boss behaves Green is out. The Boss thinks for a moment, then shoots the starchild into the nearest option, blows up the one furthest away with a grenade and head butts the last till before blowing the whole thing up with a nuke the boss had stored in hammerspace."

The main character then flys away on a wise cracking spaceship Kensey built to look like her favourite sex toy.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Vie said:
soren7550 said:
Now I'm picturing the ending to this game.

"The Boss stumbles off of the platform to be greeted by STARCHILD, who tells them they have three options: Blue Red and Green... ..though with the way the boss behaves Green is out. The Boss thinks for a moment, then shoots the starchild into the nearest option, blows up the one furthest away with a grenade and head butts the last till before blowing the whole thing up with a nuke the boss had stored in hammerspace."

The main character then flys away on a wise cracking spaceship Kensey built to look like her favourite sex toy.
Screw Saints Row I want this to be the new ME ending.

OT: I miss the EXPLANATIONS that the second game gave for why you were doing crazy shit. Why am I spraying sewage in this neighborhood? Because some guy wants to get his Ex covered in shit, or someone wants to buy the houses cheap. Third game? "Because it is a side quest..... What that is not good enough?" No it is not that side humor added so much to the game world.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
BushMonstar said:
Yeah, after reading the achievements list, it really doesn't look like they can go anywhere else.

Major spoilers for one of the endings ahead, but based on the achievements:
The Boss ends up ruling the entire universe in one of the endings.

Yeah, they were able to go to being the president from the third's ending, but I don't really think there's anything else left after that. Kinda glad that they're ending this saga, and starting a new one.
Yeah, it's good they aren't trying to top the silliness again. I really think that trying to top the 4th's silliness would cross the very precarious threshold (which, for some, was already crossed with the 2nd to the 3rd) into just plain old bad. I applaud their foresight to not try to continue this for too long.

Wherever they decide to take it from here, I'll at least give it a listen. This developer earned my respect, and I wish them luck with this venture and all future ones.

And now that I think about it, they probably could even take it back to where SR2 left off if they wanted. Or even the beginning. Or maybe 1950s. Or a cyberpunk future like Deus Ex, but with some hyperbolic large purple hats on all the straight-faced dead-serious main characters. At this point, would it REALLY surprise anyone if the Boss hit a galactic reset button that also wiped everyone's memories, yet by some odd chance things happen differently the second time?

LaughingAtlas said:
Speculate wildly, you say? Can do. Ahem.
Driving a dump truck full of exploding robo-puppies on fire that launches it's load on a spring, sending barking bombs everywhere?
Mass mind-control triggered by playing Micheal Jackson's Thriller, dancing accordingly?
A pogostick equipped with freeze rays that you can blast people with, then jump on the frozen bodies to shatter them?
A giant chainsaw blade that you can ride like a flying surfboard while whatever qualifies for surfing music plays?
Being able to listen to radio stations outside of a car again?
Radio outside of a car? MADNESS!

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
It would be cool if they could make a new IP that bridged the saints row universe with the red faction universe, something that was heavily hinted at in Saints Row 2

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
Yep, complete flip from stoner-chick to standard Bad Attitude Action Girl. I'm sure 4 will further homogenize the remaining characters into the same boring archetypes we see everywhere. Frankly, I'm cutting it here as the more I hear about SR4 the worse it sounds to my tastes.