Activision Rejoins the ESA

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision Rejoins the ESA

Five years after it quit, Activision Blizzard has become the newest member of the Entertainment Software Association.

A little over five years ago, Activision pulled out of the Entertainment Software Association and made the rather shocking announcement that it would not be attending that year's E3 event. "After careful consideration, for business reasons Activision has decided not to participate in any official E3 activities," the publisher said at the time. A couple months later, CEO Bobby Kotick explained that the decision to let its membership lapse was brought about by both vastly increased membership dues and the feeling that the ESA was not able to adequately meet the company's needs.

But minds have apparently changed since then, because as of today, Activision is back in the band! "We are excited to join ESA," said Chris Walther of Activision Blizzard. "ESA has a long track-record of supporting its members and the video game industry, and we look forward to sharing our unique perspective and experience with them."

Exciting news, yes? What makes it particularly interesting (as these things go) is that the announcement comes on the heels of news that Activision Blizzard parent Vivendi is looking for new ways to squeeze cash [http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/07/us-vivendi-activision-idUSBRE9660DA20130707] out of the company following its failure to sell its stake, possibly by forcing the payout of a special dividend. How the two relate, if they do at all, isn't clear, but what does seem apparent is that things are afoot at and around Activision.

The ESA also announced that Chinese online gaming giant Tencent has joined its ranks as well.

Source: Entertainment Software Association [http://www.theesa.com/newsroom/release_detail.asp?releaseID=206]

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Lord Draenor said:
I don't exactly now what this means but it's probably evil. Definitely evil
I get that feeling too, I don't know what's going on but for some reason I suspect someone is going to get screwed over.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
kajinking said:
Lord Draenor said:
I get that feeling too, I don't know what's going on but for some reason I suspect someone is going to get screwed over.
And it's likely going to be us, the consumers.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Dr.Awkward said:
kajinking said:
Lord Draenor said:
And it's likely going to be us, the consumers.
Are you sure? Late news indicates that it's going to be Acti-Bliz themselves. Since they haven't really given us anything new lately I don't see how it'll effect me too much. It's just been WoW expansions, CoD expansions, a Diablo port... I guess I'm excited for the last StarCraft expansion in a few years.

I think the last "Activision" game I bought was Jedi Outcast (2002).

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
"We are excited to join ESA," said Chris Walther of Activision Blizzard. "ESA has a long track-record of supporting its members and the video game industry, and we look forward to sharing our unique perspective and experience with them."
Nice touch, love the top dog wording.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
I certainly enjoy the way their PR-speak completely ignores their past membership in the organization.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
I don't know about you lot but that clearly corporate acronym frightens me. I won't support this one bit.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Lord Draenor said:
Given that I originally read it as 'Activision Rejoins the NSA' I'm inclined to agree with you.

Something terrible is about to happen.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Does anyone have any further context they can provide so we can actually make sense of this? Otherwise I'm just going to default to this:

Lord Draenor said:

Outline

Jun 22, 2013
Anything that involves Activision "Sharing our unique perspective and experience" with other game producing companies needs to be firmly stomped on. We all know what that perspective does to developers and their products...

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
i think it means that blizzcon is becoming less popular so they want to turn up at E3 next year,

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Lord Draenor said:
I don't exactly now what this means but it's probably evil. Definitely evil.
Yup, just like when EA abolished their online passes. There's an ulterior motive here, and I'll be damned if it's good.