Giant Bomb's Ryan Davis Is Gone

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Giant Bomb's Ryan Davis Is Gone

Davis, a founder of Giant Bomb, was 34 years old.

Ryan Davis, one of the founders of Giant Bomb, has died. The announcement comes as a profound shock to family and friends; Davis, recently married, was 34 when he passed, on 3rd July. "In the face of this awfulness," said Matthew Rorie in a Giant Bomb memoriam, "many of us will at least always remember him as we last saw him: outrageously, uproariously happy, looking forward to his next adventure with the biggest grin his face could hold."

Davis founded Giant Bomb with Jeff Gerstmann shortly after Gerstmann's Gamespot termination [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116360-Jeff-Gerstmann-Explains-His-Departure-From-Gamespot]. "Jeff's firing just destroyed me," Davis said at the time, and it led not only to Davis' departure from Gamespot but also several other Gamespot staff.

"Obviously we're all stunned over here," says Rorie. Davis' absence will leave a hole in the Giant Bomb team's lives that just isn't possible to fill. "It's just something that we'll just have to get used to walking around with," he concludes, "and that will not happen for a long, long time." Profound condolences go out to Ryan Davis' family and friends, at this difficult time.

Source: Giant Bomb [http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/ryan-davis-1979-2013/1100-4685/]

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Never heard of him but wow, he was so young, 2 years younger than me. How did he die at 34? Illness or accident? Sorry to his family, sucks when people die at such a young age.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
Never heard of him but wow, he was so young.
Ditto. Still, it's always sad to hear someone in the gaming industry has died, just by that picture and this little obituary of an article it seems like he was a very nice guy (quitting his job because a friend got fired from that same company is a pretty big move and shows a lot of loyalty to a friend). He also looks like the type of "fun to be around big guy", but obviously I could be completely wrong about this, having naught but this article and that picture to go by. And yeah, he was really young. Bad as it sounds, I kinda do hope it was some kind of tragic accident, because I always hate the thought of someone so young just up and dying.

Via con Dios, Ryan Davis, may you rest in peace.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Sucks. How did this guy die? Yesterday when I looked I found nothing. I assume it was a heart attack, but for some odd reason no one is saying from what.

MANIFESTER

Sep 14, 2009
As a person that frequents Giant Bomb (as much, if not more so than here), I actually find myself quite saddened at the loss. Not only was the guy a pretty good game journalist, but he was fun and gave Giantbomb a really good portion of its personality on Quick Looks, Bombcasts, and pretty much every form of content they put out. He made a lot of content on games just fun, instead of political and cynical. He seemed like a fun guy and one I would certainly like to sit down and have a beer with, and I suppose I will have one tonight to mourn the loss. He will be sorely missed. Cheers.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
A shame really if you see the videos made and the podcasts there was a real warmth there. No Malice at all
Not even got crass on some of the worse games out there so yeah.

And that with the first week of his marriage.. wow.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Don't know the guy, never heard of him, but it is a sad day for the gaming community.

And my guess also goes to a heart attack. This is mainly do to the, rather crude, 'related article' titled; 4 things you'll feel right before a heart attack.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I've never heard of this man or Giant Bomb but I hope he Rests In Peace. It's always sad when someone like this dies (I'm not eloquent with words so please forgive me if that comes off as mean) and he was way too young, that makes it worse.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
What? I thought the article was going to be about him leaving Giant Bomb! I remember him when he was with Gamespot along with Jeff and co. All seemed like nice guys. RIP.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
He was awesome. I started following his work after the whole GameSpot scandal. So young, and just got married. It's really sad.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Ryan Davis was tremendous. I had been a Gamespot regular for years until I switched to Giant Bomb on day one. Ryan Davis was a part of my life for over ten years and I never met him. When I heard he passed away, I felt like I had been punched in the gut. He was such a great guy and fantastic at his job.

I very highly recommend going to Giantbomb.com right now and watching some of the videos at the top of the site. They are all some of the best moments with Ryan. He was a happy, very funny guy and a pleasure to watch and listen to.

Rest in peace, Ryan. I am not alone in saying that I will sorely miss you.

basm321

Sep 14, 2011
I would encourage you to watch some of his most recommended quick looks of games you are interested in. The Ryan Davis,, and the GB crew, provided me with an immense amount of joy.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
It's Tuesday :(

Giant Bomb and the Bombcast have been a regular thing for me for quite a while now. Dude was so jovial, like the kind of person it isn't possible to dislike. He was one of us, and will be sorely missed.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Man, those GOTY presentations that had were the absolute best. Gonna miss him in the vids. And he just got married too. Man, this sucks. Rest In Peace Ryan.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I was absolutely devastated when I saw this on twitter. I'm listening to the farewell podcast right now. Super sad.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
This is heart breaking. I've been an avid GiantBomb.com fan for years now. The video game world is poorer for his loss.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Still down about the news, he will be missed and was a good man, who never failed to make me laugh and smile.