Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe Discuss Acting In Beyond: Two Souls

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe Discuss Acting In Beyond: Two Souls

Beyond: Two Souls stars actors Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe, as does this newly released "making of" featurette.

Beyond: Two Souls is the latest effort from Heavy Rain developer Quantic Dream. Like the firm's prior game, Beyond: Two Souls features gorgeously-detailed characters and environments, only for this title Quantic Dream called in a few Hollywood actors to serve as a living, breathing basis for the game's cast. Most notably, Beyond: Two Souls stars Willem Dafoe and Ellen Page.

That clip you see at top-right was released earlier this morning, and focuses on Dafoe and Page describing the rigors of acting within a videogame. While a novel experience for both thespians, each seem to enjoy the experience. Dafoe's reaction is particularly delightful, as I can't remember the last time I saw the man's face so genuinely full of glee. Generally Dafoe portrays wildly unhinged characters in his films, so it's not often that you see him as giddy as a child.

Actually, the last film I saw him in was Lars Von Trier's Antichrist, and man, let me tell you, he is not happy about how that flick ends.

Ellen Page, by contrast, seems very regal and focused. She's a serious actor, and while her profession is fun, she's also intensely dedicated to her craft. And maybe this just me, but doesn't she look an awful lot like that little girl from The Last of Us [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125389-The-Last-Of-Us-Faces-Another-Rip-Off-Accusation-UPDATED]?

Beyond: Two Souls makes its debut on the PlayStation 3 on October 8. Expect more information to slowly stream out of the production over the next few months, either building your anticipation or making you pray for the thing's release simply so you won't have to hear about it anymore. Such is the videogames industry.

Source: YouTube [http://youtu.be/b1dmrVks1xw]

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009

What you don't know is that above this sign are the words: POLYGONS EQUAL...

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I dunno, I lost a lot of hype for this game after Ellen Page threw a hissyfit over the girl in The Last of Us looking similar to her. The whole thing really tainted her for me. And no, making light of the incident in the article didn't really help any. ;P

abdul

Oct 27, 2012
WhiteTigerShiro said:
I dunno, I lost a lot of hype for this game after Ellen Page threw a hissyfit over the girl in The Last of Us looking similar to her. The whole thing really tainted her for me. And no, making light of the incident in the article didn't really help any. ;P
To me that seemed like the Internetz made drama out of nothing and blew it way out of proportion.To be fair a lot of people still thought she was playing Ellie.

As for the game,I hope it turns out okay,hopefully David improved his writing,Heavy Rain had some cringeworthy dialogue at times which was made even more apparent thanks to the less than stellar VAs.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
*Sigh* And here we go again with the needless David Cage hate, rehashing the old jokes from that one Jimquisition episode without actually looking at the game and just blindly hating it because it's cool to hate.

Look, I'm not the biggest fan of David Cage, even I think he can be rather douche-y and is in DIRE NEED of an editor. I do not agree with him in the slightest that better graphics can create a better emotional experience, which Tell Tale's The Walking Dead proved. However, the hate surrounding this guy is just silly. And it really upsets me that a game like this is being shot down just out of hate of the creator.

I am personally eager to see how this game comes out. Not just in terms of gameplay and story, but how the rest of the media will react to this. Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe are two big actors, and I know that's going to turn a lot of heads, Hollywood's in particular. I think Cage knows this, but I'm not entirely sure what he's trying to do with it. However, I'm going to trust him, because I want this to succeed and do well. And I hope this does speak to the non-gaming audience too. I personally hope this does legitimize the medium to them in some way.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
abdul said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
To me that seemed like the Internetz made drama out of nothing and blew it way out of proportion.To be fair a lot of people still thought she was playing Ellie.

As for the game,I hope it turns out okay,hopefully David improved his writing,Heavy Rain had some cringeworthy dialogue at times which was made even more apparent thanks to the less than stellar VAs.
Agreed here, her comment was pretty innocuous and the gaming media really blew it well out of proportion.

Honestly I think it's a perfect example of why we need an independent standards organization like traditional media is pushing towards.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
All my hype. My favourite actors, my favourite hairstyle on the front cover, a sequel to my favourite PS3 exclusive. Just, all my hype for this game.

EDIT: I haven't played the Last of Us yet.