Rockstar May be Making PC Ports of Its Latest Games

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Rockstar May be Making PC Ports of Its Latest Games

A Rockstar job posting asked for "a talented graphics programmer to help bring our latest titles to the PC platform."

Rockstar Watch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121612-PC-Version-of-GTA-V-Appears-on-Amazon] prove once again that the internet never forgets.

A partial capture of the posting is as follows:

"Rockstar Leeds are currently looking for a talented graphics programmer to help bring our latest titles to the PC platform. Working together with the other Rockstar studios, you will be responsible for maintaining the studio's uncompromising quality bar, delivering the highest quality PC experience possible."

While this part of the posting seems geared towards porting already released titles, such as Red Dead Redemption, in another section, it made mention of "working with skilled developers on Next Generation games," which points towards GTA V getting a release on Next-Gen consoles, including, of course, the PC.

Rockstar has typically released PC versions of its Grand Theft Auto games in the months following the console release, however, this time Rockstar has given no mention that a PC version of GTA V is in the works. Red Dead Redemption, which was released back in 2010, also never saw a PC version, despite pleas from fans.

GTA V releases this September for the Xbox 360 and PS3, and will feature three distinct protagonists that the player will switch between during the main campaign.

Source: Rockstar Watch [http://www.rockstarwatch.net/news/1299/Leeds-job-posting-hints-at-GTAV-PC-port/]

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I have never minded waiting a few months for a PC release of any of the GTA games, I'll happily wait a few months again if that means it will exist!

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
They'd better be or they'll have me to answer to! Grr. On the basis of that gameplay video I'm expecting to put aside my backlog and play my first GTA game in ages.

Surely it would be a foolish move to cut out a platform and all the sales that would go with it? It's not like a GTA game wouldn't shift on PC.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Supposedly RDR was never released because of its messy code and the fact that it was programmed so bad it barely held together. Can any one confirm this rumour?

Knowing how bad GTA4 and LA Noire performed on pc I find that relatively easy to believe.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Will those ports include that steaming pile of crap that is GFWL?

I got Saints Row 2 in all's its buggy, poorly optimized glory instead of GTA4 because of it.

And I have never regretted it for a second.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Ed130 said:
Will those ports include that steaming pile of crap that is GFWL?

I got Saints Row 2 in all's its buggy, poorly optimized glory instead of GTA4 because of it.

And I have never regretted it for a second.
Max Pain 3 on PC (which I have) did not use GFWL, so it would be a good chance that Rockstar has moved away from it. Their using their own online checking system.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Even putting aside their paranoia about piracy which leads them to cram in layers of DRM that make their games nearly unplayable, Rockstar's PC ports are just abysmal. The UI is always awful.

People mock and make a huge stink about Bethesda's PC UI being bad, but they manage to look like PC-pros compared to Rockstar.

Unless they improve upon their past PC attempts, I'm not interested. There's too many great PC games out there today, and too little time to waste some of it upon the inferior ports.

Ayay

Dec 6, 2009
RDR will not get a pc port , they said so time and time again.And that the latest GTA would turn up on Pc was a give no? Not that i care since GTA4 did make me turn away from that series and 5 seems boring to me. But hey here is hoping RDR gets to Pc and i can pick it up when it hits the bargin bin.But i belive this was just a company short a worker and its no story behind it.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
gave up on GTA since SA and very unlikely i will get the latest title as well. but good to hear that they do take pc gamers serious and want to make a proper port. they should just give it to valve. they know their stuff.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
Nimcha said:
I have never minded waiting a few months for a PC release of any of the GTA games, I'll happily wait a few months again if that means it will exist!
Do you remember how long it took Vice City to make the jump? I swear it was at least 18 months.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
if Red Dead Redemption came out on PC i would buy the shit out of it ... again
what? .. oh come on my PS3 sits on its shelf gathering dust and i never got round to finishing RDR or any of my other PS3 games

i am interested in GTA5 but i am sorta bored of the whole man goes on a criminal rampage thing maybe if there was a female character in there and or if it went on sale on the PC

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Read Dead Redemption
Um... yeah. Minor, but you might want to fix that.

Otherwise, this is awesome news. I've always wanted to get RDR on my PC. Always been disappointed it was only on console since I switched to PC gaming a year or so ago.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Creator002 said:
Steven Bogos said:
Read Dead Redemption
Um... yeah. Minor, but you might want to fix that.

Otherwise, this is awesome news. I've always wanted to get RDR on my PC. Always been disappointed it was only on console since I switched to PC gaming a year or so ago.
Wouldn't it be awesome if this was an actual game? About a librarian with a grudge...

Thanks for the tip though! I too, have been really disappointed that this game saw no PC release, as it's seen such great reviews

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I'd kind of like to see a PC release and kind of not because I can see the PC side are going to whine when it's not the best version.

Besides it's coming out on the other two consoles which are still cheap by now with a nice backlog of great games.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Ah, good to see my PC cousins might finally enjoy the greatness of Red Dead Redemption. I'm really happy for them. A friend of mine was bugging me for weeks with pleas to lend him my PS3 just for RDR. :D

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Shadow-Phoenix said:
I'd kind of like to see a PC release and kind of not mainly because the PC side of gamers are either ungrateful for the port or incredibly smug in seeing their version as the "best and only greatest version ever" so I'd most likely hope it just stays on the two consoles seeing as how the PC will be getting planetary annihilation and Star Citizen both of which are only PC to which consoles will never get to see the light of day so fairs fair.
Please don't use prejudice as an argument ever again. It never leads to something good.
Besides, you don't want us to get a good game, because we will get two good games, were one will be most likely too hardware demanding to be played on consoles properly and the other one is a old school rts, which never play good on consoles anyway. I hate you.

Edit: Just to clarify, as some people seem to misinterpret it: The last sentence is meant as a joke. Sorry, thought that was pretty obvious.