Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem Set in the Real World

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem Set in the Real World

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem will plant its roots in a modern day setting.

Back in January, Nintendo announced a partnership with Atlus to bring together the Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei franchises in arguably one of the most unexpected crossovers in years. While next to nothing was revealed concerning what the actual game would be, the very idea of the two series joining together sent shock waves of excitement through their respective fan bases. Now, nearly seven months since the game's initial announcement, we're finally getting some (sparse) details about what it might entail.

Speaking with Hobby Consoles magazine, Hitoshi Yamagami, who was heavily involved in Fire Emblem: Awakening, revealed that the game will likely take place in a modern day setting, much akin to the Shin Megami Tensei games. "For a long time, I've wanted to create a Fire Emblem in our times, in the real world," said Yamagami. "Imagine a Pegasus that comes from the sky and lands on Building 109 of Shibuya, Tokyo. I always thought that would be incredible." Even so, Yamagami acknowledged that some might have reservations about bringing the traditionally medieval-style fantasy of Fire Emblem to a more contemporary time period. "I know it's hard because of how FE is. I visited many companies to express these ideas. When I went to Atlus, I was told that Shin Megami Tensei together with Fire Emblem is what I wanted. So, I soon said that to Intelligent Systems and started this very special collaboration."

Yamagami's statements have shed a bit of new light on Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem but also, in turn, have raised new questions. For instance, if the game takes its setting cues from Shin Megami Tensei can we then expect the gameplay to more closely mirror Fire Emblem? If not, just how evenly can we expect the franchises to be mixed? Will there be permadeath? Will there be demon fusion? We could literally pose questions all day. Even with them unanswered however, we can't help but be eager to see how the future will unfold for Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem.

Source: Wiitalia

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
So an SMT game with Fire Emblem's battle, support and class systems (and maybe some demon fusion)?
Doesn't sound like it leaves a lot of room for Fire Emblem's more aesthetic aspects.

I guess maybe some dragon riders and Pegasus knights since Hitoshi Yamagami said he wanted it.

Even if this turns out to be nothing more than a slightly more colorful SMT game with Fire Emblem's gameplay,
I'll still play it, and I'm sure I'll still love it.

Rinshan Kaihou

Dec 3, 2009
This actually could be really really interesting. I'm really curious to see what they cook up. Though tbh, as long as it has cute girls and decent combat I'll be happy!

Azure Knight-Zeo

Jun 7, 2010
So are the Fire Emblem heroes being transported to the modern day or is this a new cast with fused elements from both series like with Pokemon Conquest?

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Azure Knight-Zeo said:
So are the Fire Emblem heroes being transported to the modern day or is this a new cast with fused elements from both series like with Pokemon Conquest?
That would be my first guess, since both series tend to create a whole new cast with an independent story with each iteration.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Azure Knight-Zeo said:
I personally hope they try an original cast that's a fusion of Fire Emblem and SMT, rather than throwing a bunch of cameos in there. I got my cameo fill when I played Fire Emblem Awakening, and even then, I was happy the story wasn't about them.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Azure Knight-Zeo said:
I would assume it would play like Devil Survivor, maybe Fire Emblem characters fighting/fusing demons along with SMT characters.

Maybe the story would be something about the SMT universe, Nocturne did leave a lot open in the True Demon ending. Maybe we'll see the DemiFiend again invading the Fire Emblem world looking for recruits or fucking shit up.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I strongly suspect (and hope) the combat will be in Fire Emblem style - as Persona's gameplay is generic JRPG wrapped in very interesting social functions - with Persona's character interaction and open ended player choices. Fire Emblem has always had an undercurrent of forming relationships between units to improve combat effectiveness, something which runs very well with Persona's Social Link system.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Innegativeion said:
That would be my first guess, since both series tend to create a whole new cast with an independent story with each iteration.
thing is thought Pokemon Conquest DIDN'T have new characters; the trainers were all mainstays from Nobunaga's Ambition. It is possible we're going to see some original generation characters (Super Robot Wars mindset and all), but mroe than likely we'll see a bunch of old FE and SMT mainstays like Marth, Roy, Ike, Chrom with demons as well. I'm just wondering what it's going to be gameplay-wise; I could see a sort of SMT: Devil Survivor fusion with FE, but it's possible this may not be a turn-based strategy. The mysteries are killing me.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
TsunamiWombat said:
I strongly suspect (and hope) the combat will be in Fire Emblem style - as Persona's gameplay is generic JRPG wrapped in very interesting social functions - with Persona's character interaction and open ended player choices. Fire Emblem has always had an undercurrent of forming relationships between units to improve combat effectiveness, something which runs very well with Persona's Social Link system.
Persona + Fire Emblem would probably be one of the best games ever. I suspect though that it'll be basically Devil Survivor with some Fire Emblem themes thrown in.

edgecult

May 4, 2011
Eclipse Dragon said:
Azure Knight-Zeo said:
I personally hope they try an original cast that's a fusion of Fire Emblem and SMT, rather than throwing a bunch of cameos in there. I got my cameo fill when I played Fire Emblem Awakening, and even then, I was happy the story wasn't about them.
I kinda doubt it'll have an original cast or at least a fully original cast. These kinda mash ups are built on the idea that half their crowd is here to watch Ike and Demifiend going back to back and beating on thor and the black knight. While Chrom and the samurai guy from SMT 4 (I haven't kept much with the game so I dunno names from it yet) duke it out with the Lucifer... Expect fanservice to run deep and plentifully.

That said they'll probably have some original characters to float the story along both as a means of giving the fanservice characters a place to work with and so they have some form of story and characters to build from if they wanna turn this into an actual series. (Think Project X zone's OC's for this. A group to base the story on so none of the fanservice gets to much favoritism.)

Shame it's only SMT main canon for this. would be fun to see the persona devil survivor and DDS characters popping up too. (but maybe it'll give them a place to go with the next game or other spin off mash ups. Marvel vs capcom started as X-men vs Street fighter after all... plenty of room to grow into the other series.)

EDIT although in retrospec.. not sure how the FE fanservice would work in modern day settings.. There was some truely odd bits in say devil survivor despite the modern setting. (can't say for much of the other SMT sense the only main service game I've played is nocturne.) But I'de imagine Ike Marth Roy and Chrom would be a curious sight hopping off the train in shubuya station.. hrm.. this has got me really curious now..