Gamers Who Pre-Order Pikmin 3 at GameStop Event Get Early Access

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Gamers Who Pre-Order Pikmin 3 at GameStop Event Get Early Access

Players who pre-order a digital copy on July 20th or 21st at participating GameStops will get the game a day early.

Pikmin 3 has been a game that franchise fans have been waiting to play for close to a decade. Now, with the game's North American release date finally approaching, Nintendo and GameStop are giving players an opportunity to get the game a day earlier.

Through the weekend of July 20th-21st, participating <a href=http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/events/pikmin3demo/default.aspx>GameStop locations (EB Games in Canada) will be hosting hands-on events where players will be able to play Pikmin 3 prior to its release. This on its own would be an exciting opportunity for many gamers, but it gets better. Gamers who pre-order the digital version of Pikmin 3 while visiting the hands-on events will be given full access to the game on August 3rd, a day ahead of its <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125765-Pikmin-3-Gets-Meet-the-Pikmin-Trailer>official North American release. The announcement was made by Reggie Fils-Aime, president and CEO of Nintendo of America who confirmed that "over two-hundred and fifty locations in the U.S. and Canada will have these hands-on opportunities."

While this promotion perhaps runs the chance of irking gamers who had pre-ordered physical copies of Pikmin 3, it will be interesting to see how many gamers take advantage of this opportunity and what its potential success could mean for future digital releases. Something tells us there's more than a few gamers who might be willing to buy digital if it meant getting to play the game early.

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/12/4518868/get-pikmin-3-a-day-early-if-you-pre-order-at-gamestop>Polygon

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
That's a pretty big violation of the law there. The thing about release dates and why stores adhere to them is because it's illegal to favour one store over the other because that ends up in monopoly. Though that's only in Europe, which explains why this is not taking place there.

In good old capitalist America you can just sign a contract and are expected to be on your bestest behaviour to not violate it. Gamestop has a stranglehold on the market and screwing publishers out of money! Is the song they like to sing when they aren't busy teaming up with Gamestop to make more money.

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
1337mokro said:
Gamestop has a stranglehold on the market and screwing publishers out of money! Is the song they like to sing when they aren't busy teaming up with Gamestop to make more money.
Your avatar seems to describe this perfectly.
OT:
Cool! I've never played Pikmin but I'm willing to give this a shot. Hopefully those demos come by one of the EB games where I live.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Gamestop has a stranglehold on the market and screwing publishers out of money! Is the song they like to sing when they aren't busy teaming up with Gamestop to make more money.
To be fair, it's mostly been just the third party developers crying about Gamestop (while simultaneously working with them to give them more business). I don't think I've ever seen Nintendo complain about them.

In any case, only one day early isn't enough of an incentive to give Gamestop business. I'll be passing on this offer. The fact that I don't have a Wii U not withstanding; I still wouldn't jump at this.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
1337mokro said:
That's a pretty big violation of the law there. The thing about release dates and why stores adhere to them is because it's illegal to favour one store over the other because that ends up in monopoly. Though that's only in Europe, which explains why this is not taking place there.

In good old capitalist America you can just sign a contract and are expected to be on your bestest behaviour to not violate it. Gamestop has a stranglehold on the market and screwing publishers out of money! Is the song they like to sing when they aren't busy teaming up with Gamestop to make more money.
Early access is perfectly legal. Its been done a couple dozen times before. Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 come to mind.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I won't be taking advantage of this, as much as I would like a head start on Pikmin 3, I love my physical boxes and discs too much to go with this deal. I've waited so many years to play a new Pikmin game, I can wait another day.

Forgive me Reggie I have failed you. :'(

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
saintdane05 said:
1337mokro said:

Early access is perfectly legal. Its been done a couple dozen times before. Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 come to mind.
Not when it's done THIS way. It's only at ONE participating store and in Europe that is illegal.

Buying a game and getting to play it early if you pre-ordered? No problem. Buying into a Beta and playing the game early? No problem, every store has the possibility to profit from that. Here it is an event at a Gamestop and all the pre-orders at the event will be at Gamestop.

Monopoly law prohibits that from happening.