Apple Reportedly Interested in Kinect Technology Firm

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Apple Reportedly Interested in Kinect Technology Firm

According to a new report, Apple is considering a $280 million buyout of the company behind Kinect's motion-sensors.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126013-Kinect-Reportedly-Costs-Almost-As-Much-as-Xbox-One>The Kinect's usefulness as a gaming peripheral is still hotly debated, but we can't say the technology is without merit. Microsoft's motion sensor has proven itself to be <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118234-Entrepreneurs-Showcase-Startling-Array-of-Kinect-Based-Tech>highly versatile in non-gaming settings, with applications in just about every technological field. Perhaps if the Kinect had sold a little better on its home console, we'd even see tech companies rushing forward with home-brewed versions of the device. Such a day may not be far off however, <a href=http://www.calcalist.co.il/internet/articles/0,7340,L-3607679,00.html>if a report from Israeli business newspaper Calcalist is to be believed. According to the report, executives from Apple are in early talks to purchase PrimeSense, the very company that designed the original Kinect's sensor technology. If the acquisition goes through, then Apple might pay upwards of $280 million for the chance to design its own motion sensor alternative.

Assuming the report is accurate, talks between Apple and PrimeSense have only just begun, and the issue won't be resolved for some time. From a speculative standpoint however, it's easy to imagine Apple products featuring some kind of motion sensor hardware. The company could integrate the device into future Apple TV units, or build facial recognition features into iPhones and iPads.

Neither Apple or PrimeSense gave a definitive response when contacted about the report, but PrimeSense CEO Inon Beracha offered the following statement: "We are focused on building a prosperous company while bringing 3D sensing and natural interaction to the mass market in a variety of industries. We can't comment on what any of our partners, customers or potential customers are doing and we're not commenting on rumors."

It's unlikely that an Apple-owned PrimeSense would directly affect the Xbox One, since the Kinect is now being developed entirely by Microsoft. That said, if Apple does find a way to make motion sensor technology popular, I imagine Microsoft will have a very, very hard time living it down.

Source: Variety, via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-16-apple-mulls-USD280m-bid-for-kinect-motion-sensor-firm-report>Eurogamer

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
This should surprise no one. The Kinect is the one piece of tech that MS has that Apple should have been drooling over. And instead of truly giving us the future with it, MS has been using it as a cheesy video game toy.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Eugh this is just what we need.

With Microsoft forcing it on people then it wont really take off, now matter how much money they pour into it.

If Apple gets their grubby mitts on it then you can bet that this bullshit will be as common as smartphones within a few years.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
If Apple did bring out a product with an always on camera that harvests your data for advertising, it would finally make their pretentious 1984 commercial at least slightly appropriate.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Shamanic Rhythm said:
If Apple did bring out a product with an always on camera that harvests your data for advertising, it would finally make their pretentious 1984 commercial at least slightly appropriate.
The sad thing is, I'd buy it.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Eh Samsung already has motion sensors in it's phones so it makes sense that Apple wants to catch and and try to overtake them which is funny since I rarely if ever use the motion features (their more trouble than their worth).

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
$280 million sounds like a lot, surely the NSA will subsidise some of the cost?
I say manufacturing, but Apple's factories in China will take care of it. XD

OT: I'm honestly not surprised at this news at all. The only thing that's surprising me is the price for the buyout itself, I'd honestly thought it'd be higher than that.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
The Kinect seems right up Apple and their fanbase's alley.
It's a simple matter of targeted marketing. People who like the 360 might not like the Kinect, but people who like touch screens and hate buttons (Apple's Fanbase) would probably love it.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Apple is interested in Kinect...
Does anyone here need anymore proof that this piece of hardware is a spawn of Satan?

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
VMK said:
Apple is interested in Kinect...
Does anyone here need anymore proof that this piece of hardware is a spawn of Satan?
Satan hasn't gotten his hands on it just yet. :)

It'll be a plague once he does, though.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
On one hand, I like the idea that this technology can be used somewhere where is can be useful outside of gaming.

On the other hand, Apple....ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ace O'Hagen

May 28, 2013
well, here we go, irrefutable that the kinect can easily be used for evil ... much like an artifact in a Wolfenstein game