Microsoft Wants To Tell How It Handles National Security Requests

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Microsoft Wants To Tell How It Handles National Security Requests

Microsoft has asked the US Attorney General, Eric Holder, to personally take action.

Microsoft wants to tell you how it handles national security requests for user data, and has asked the US Attorney General, Eric Holder, for permission to do so. "We believe the US constitution guarantees our freedom to share more information with the public, yet the government is stopping us," says Microsoft. It hopes that Holder can step in to make this right, because it claims there have been "significant inaccuracies in the interpretation of leaked government documents" - PRISM [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124721-NSA-Harvests-Facebook-Google-Apple-User-Data-Secret-Files-Claim] - and it wants to set the record straight.

It is willing to talk on the record about a few things even before Holder weighs in. Microsoft doesn't provide any government with direct access to emails or instant messages, and that includes Outlook (Hotmail). If a warrant or court order is issued, that's a different story, but even then it's Microsoft granting access to a specific account under certain, restricted conditions; certainly nothing like giving the government complete freedom to look at anything whenever it wants. The same goes for the SkyDrive, and all requests are reviewed by Microsoft's compliance team to ensure that any requests for information received are valid, as well as making sure only the data covered by the order is given out.

"The world needs a more open and public discussion of these practices," Microsoft concludes [http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_on_the_issues/archive/2013/07/16/responding-to-government-legal-demands-for-customer-data.aspx]. "While the debate should focus on the practices of all governments, it should start with practices in the United States." The right to free speech is guaranteed by the Constitution, and Microsoft feels it places the US in a unique position. It has been a role model, and to continue doing so means that any US government data collection needs to be discussed in a public forum.

At time of writing Holder has yet to respond to Microsoft's request. An AG spokesman has said that he is reviewing Microsoft's letter.

Source: Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jul/16/microsoft-eric-holder-permission-information-national-security]

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
While I'm ecstatic to see Microsoft, along with other tech & telecom companies, standing up & demanding a public release of information, I'd like to remind everyone that the NSA data collection has been going on for a long time without a peep from Microsoft or anyone else; if this information hadn't been leaked, they would still be keeping quiet

please, just keep that in mind

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I have a feeling that this is some dastardly trick by MS as a PR stunt, but if they're serious...

Good job MS. Seriously, even though I hate you guys more than I'd like to admit (for reasons that are not Xbox One related at all), this is pretty cool of you guys. Just keep this up, and don't screw us over. =P

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Oh, one of those companies that was keeping secrets from us and ordered by the government to lie about it is coming out to set the record straight that it's not so bad as we think?

I believe it!

Let's not be so naive people, c'mon.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Jumwa said:
Oh, one of those companies that was keeping secrets from us and ordered by the government to lie about it is coming out to set the record straight that it's not so bad as we think?

I believe it!

Let's not be so naive people, c'mon.
Agreed. After they were caught red handed is coincidentally the time that they decided to wave the the people deserve to know banner.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
*non sarcastic golf clap for Microsoft* This has to become the official federal position this matter, they have already been found out at least they can be transparent about what information they actually require a warrant for. This goes for all companies and organisations included in prism

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Even though they're clearly covering their own ass to make the Kinect look less spy-y, this is probably the bigger issue so I'm with them on this one.

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
OMG! MS isssss sssso EEEEVIL!!! Thissss musssst be some trickssssy plan of theirsssss!
*mocking haters*

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I'd rather see what they do with their advertising data.

I don't want the kinect to catch me drinking a can of pepsi, and then I suddenly get drowned in a torrent of ads from pepsi affiliates.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is just posturing. They know it's a big deal to the average person so they are doing it. But it wasn't a big deal for a little while... not until that information was leaked. I simply don't trust either the NSA or any company that complied in secret to their wishes. The NSA talks shit saying that it's for out own protection, but if it was simply for that, they wouldn't have kept it a secret.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
This seems like a smokescreen to cover up the fact the Xbone is a direct 24/7 feed to the NSA. It's no wonder they don't want them in peoples bedrooms. Even the government isn't comfortable watching people there all day long.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Zombie_Moogle said:
While I'm ecstatic to see Microsoft, along with other tech & telecom companies, standing up & demanding a public release of information, I'd like to remind everyone that the NSA data collection has been going on for a long time without a peep from Microsoft or anyone else; if this information hadn't been leaked, they would still be keeping quiet

please, just keep that in mind
While I agree with you, I have to point out that isn't the only viable explanation. It's possible that Microsoft (and others) did ask for more release of information, but were vetoed by the government (as they still are, hence this article). It could be that now Microsoft are trying to use public opinion to convince the government into finally agreeing.
Though the cynic in me thinks this is less likely than your explanation.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I don't trust Microsoft anymore anyway. Corps should not run our lives!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Outlook has nothing to do with Hotmail. Hotmail no longer exists. It was renamed to Windows Live Mail years ago and still has nothing to do with Outlook (other than both made by MS). Hotmail.com is only a email domain name owned by Windows Live Mail to support people who registerd before Microsoft bought MSN.\
Neither WLM nor Outlook can hope to achieve the greatness of Hotmail anyway. Just gota wait till MS completely shuts down the domain like they did with Windows Live Messenger (formely MSN messenger).

Sorry for nitpicking but it really annoys me when two compeltely seperate services i use get mixed into one.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
Strazdas said:
Outlook has nothing to do with Hotmail. Hotmail no longer exists. It was renamed to Windows Live Mail years ago and still has nothing to do with Outlook (other than both made by MS). Hotmail.com is only a email domain name owned by Windows Live Mail to support people who registerd before Microsoft bought MSN.\
Neither WLM nor Outlook can hope to achieve the greatness of Hotmail anyway. Just gota wait till MS completely shuts down the domain like they did with Windows Live Messenger (formely MSN messenger).

Sorry for nitpicking but it really annoys me when two compeltely seperate services i use get mixed into one.
I thought they were all under the outlook umbrella now.
When I log into my hotmail account it says "Outlook" in the top left.

OT: I'm mostly interesting in how they handle the security requests for skype, and exactly what information is accessed.
The potential for abhorrent breaches of privacy is much greater for skype I feel.