First Saints Row IV DLC Detailed And Dated

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
First Saints Row IV DLC Detailed And Dated

Saints Row IV's first DLC will share the name of the cancelled Saints Row III expansion [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118010-Enter-the-Dominatrix-Pulls-Out-of-Saints-Row-The-Third]: Enter the Dominatrix.

Saints Row IV isn't even out yet, but that isn't stopping a voice-acting panel at Comic-Con from spilling the beans on the game's first DLC. It will be called Enter The Dominatrix, sharing the same name as the cancelled Saints Row III expansion pack [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118010-Enter-the-Dominatrix-Pulls-Out-of-Saints-Row-The-Third], and release just 45 days after the game's launch. Enter the Dominatrix features a bizarre meta-narrative, where in a behind-the-scenes style narration, various characters explain why the content in the DLC was cut from the main game.

The voice-acting panel, which included Steve Jaros, studio head at Deep Silver Volition; Troy Baker (the default male character's voice actor); Laura Bailey (the default female character's voice actress); J.B. Blanc, (alien overlord Zinyak); and Yuri Lowenthal (Matt Miller, Professor Genki), also revealed some more details about the game.

Fans of Saints Row III's pro-wrestling minigame will be saddened to know that it won't be returning in the sequel. The zombie voice also won't be returning, as it has been replaced with the "Nolan North" voice option [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125772-Saints-Row-IV-Stars-Nolan-North-as-Himself]. A joke is only funny once, Jaros said. Wrestler Chris Daniels will be hosting one of the game's radio stations, however, and another station will feature the alien overlord Zinyak reading the first chapter of Pride and Prejudice in it's entirety.

Players will also run into some members of Saints Row II's Ronin gang, and while the game is known for it's "silly" humor that allows them to gloss over glaring plot holes, Jaros promises that there will be a "satisfying explanation" behind Johnny Gat's return from the dead.

Source: Gameinformer

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
So... its a behind the scenes thing? Not really getting what it is since isnt that DLC what this game kind of became? (Virtual Reality and stuff)

Im not really bothered, I just hope that they dont have those small DLC packs with clothes.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
josemlopes said:
So... its a behind the scenes thing? Not really getting what it is since isnt that DLC what this game kind of became? (Virtual Reality and stuff)

Im not really bothered, I just hope that they dont have those small DLC packs with clothes.
No it's "behind the scenes" but in-game, with the game characters explaining the cut content

jericu

Oct 22, 2008
Alright, I defend Day One DLC, it's better than making developers sit around doing nothing for a month while the game is going through certification (though I'd rather they start work on a new game), but you can at least wait until the game is out before you start pimping the DLC! Jeez.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
josemlopes said:

No it's "behind the scenes" but in-game, with the game characters explaining the cut content
Kind of like the "behind the scenes" thing in the Valve games except a bit more elaborate with the actual characters there and probably some jokes?

Its probably going to be very cheap (aimed at the fans that are interested) or free.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Enter the Dominatrix features a bizarre meta-narrative, where in a behind-the-scenes style narration, various characters explain why the content in the DLC was cut from the main game.
I assume most of it will just be the various voice actors saying "we wanted more money?"

jericu said:
Alright, I defend Day One DLC, it's better than making developers sit around doing nothing for a month while the game is going through certification (though I'd rather they start work on a new game), but you can at least wait until the game is out before you start pimping the DLC! Jeez.
As enjoyable as it is to knock bad practices, this is a DLC title that's scheduled for 45 days after launch, something not typical of any of the problems with Day 1 content. As such, I don't see a problem hyping it now. All they're doing is saying "Hey, look at what's coming out later."

THQ/Volition were up front about their plans to monetise the last game and this one repeats the pattern (replacing THQ with Deep Silver). The only remaining questions are "how much of it is on-disc this time" and "who's buying?"

Single Shot

Jan 13, 2013
josemlopes said:
Steven Bogos said:
josemlopes said:

Kind of like the "behind the scenes" thing in the Valve games except a bit more elaborate with the actual characters there and probably some jokes?

Its probably going to be very cheap (aimed at the fans that are interested) or free.
Really. I read it as it's going to be a few missions of DLC with the characters commenting on why it was cut from the main story as you did it.

Player: *looks at massive mansion in DLC mission
Follower 1: "Well that obviously took a while to make, probably why this mission missed the release date."
*New enemy type appears
Follower 2: "And the new enemies, totally worth the wait and five bucks!"
Follower 1: "Do you think they added X?"
Follower 2: "I just hope they put the Y section back in!"

Something like that. 3rd wall breaking and humorous but still standard gameplay DLC instead of just a dev commentary

But I might be wrong.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
What's that volition? Don't buy it, just watch it on Youtube? Better yet, come straight out with it. No? Not wacky enough for you? Not even going to explain all that cut content in SR3? No? Hello!?

Fine...

It's really disgraceful that they're dragging Gat back after what happened in SR3 with the notion for a "satisfying explanation" in this wacked out world (tis a Oxymoron). Also, they're re-visiting SR2 even though they said "we are moving away from that".

If you ask me, Volition have become the very monster they were fighting. They've lost their own identity.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Now we begin to see the stuff they cut from the game and resell it as DLC. When SR3 was released the said this very DLC mentioned would be the foundation for the next game. If it's foundation has been cut out then that means the game doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
The headline sounded bad, but...that sounds interesting. I'll have to wait and see how well it's executed, though.

TheHomelessHero

Apr 11, 2013
I don't really mind this at all. If the DLC is telling a separate story from the main game, and it is coming 45 days after the release of Saints Row IV... there is literally no negative to this practice. It's there for the people who want, and can be ignored by the people who don't. Simple.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'm OK with this.

I'm betting that they're reusing Enter the Dominatrix content they already had done, as well as adding a bunch of metanarrative to it. That sounds like good DLC to me.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Is this game even out yet?

I guess I'll be waiting for a "complete" edition of this game to come out. Way to follow EA, guys.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
jericu said:
The game comes out in about a month or so, so I think it's ok for them to sat there's a DLC coming out for the game about two months after launch.

At least it isn't going the Battlefield 4 route.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MinionJoe said:
As I've said before...

Johnny Gat's not dead. He's frozen. And as soon as they find a cure for bullets, we're gonna thaw out the Gat and he's gonna be pretty pissed off. You know why? You ever taken a cold shower? Well, multiply that by fifteen-million times and that's how pissed off the Gat's gonna be. I'm gonna get the Gat, and Shaundi, and Pierce and a case of whiskey and drive down to Stilwater... No, wait, fuck Pierce.
Also, they're probably pimping the DLC because people already know about the Enter the Dominatrix arc, and if it isn't in the base game, people are going to *****, "Where is it?!?"

And now we know.

And knowing is half the battle.
So the boss is Denis Leary? That....Actually, that makes a lot of sense.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
So we're not just cutting content from the game to resell as DLC, we're cutting content from the previous game to resell as DLC.

The future of gaming is upon us.