Blizzcon 2009 Sells Out in Eight Minutes

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Blizzcon 2009 Sells Out in Eight Minutes

Blizzard [http://www.activision.com], sold out completely in eight minutes.

The Blizzard wheel just keeps on turning and if Blizzcon ticket sales are anything to go by, even the merger with Activision, seen by many as the industry's new face of evil, hasn't slowed it down. Tickets to Blizzcon 2009 were being sold for a hefty $125 each - more than PAX [http://www.comic-con.org/] - and yet all 20,000 of them sold out in eight minutes.

Eight minutes. If you decided to nip down and make a sandwich while you waited for the sale to begin, you probably missed out. As Big Download [http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/08/06/20-000-tickets-sold-for-blizzcon-2009-sold-out-in-just-eight-mi/] notes, that's presumably a combined eight minutes over the two separate days Blizzard had the tickets on sale.

Let's break those numbers down a bit. 20,000 tickets at $125 apiece is $2.5 million. An eight minute sellout means Blizzard raked in, on average, $312,500 per minute. That's $5,208 per second. In the same amount of time it took you to read about my mathematical wizardry, Blizzard made $31,248 on Blizzcon tickets. That's some pretty hot stuff.

But don't fret if you missed out: Blizzard is once again offering DirecTV [http://blizzcon.rayv.com/] (in the U.S.) or online via streaming video for $39.95. It's not exactly the same as being there, but at this point it's as close as you're going to get.

Blizzcon 2009 takes place at the blizzcon.com [http://www.anaheimconventioncenter.com] for more information.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
When Blizzard's Fanbase is... enormous, to say the least, I can't say I'm entirely surprised. But still.. Wow o_O

InvisibleMilk

Nov 19, 2008
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
I'm not even going to point out the irony on this topic.
I'll let Max do it, provided he cares about this subject. Which he doesn't.
But yes, I certainly agree. WOW.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Dart378 said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
I'm not even going to point out the irony on this topic.
I'll let Max do it, provided he cares about this subject. Which he doesn't.
But yes, I certainly agree. WOW.
No need to summon the horde now, Billy. Just... walk away..
Wow! A Bird! Wow! A Tree! Wow! I should probably stop that now..
(Unintentional rhyming, FTL.)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
A buddy of mine and his friend bought tickets together. They were both on Ventrilo, both refreshing, and there was only a few seconds between his friend seeing the page go live, telling him, and my friend clicking the link.

And there were over 2,000 people between the two of them in line.

ghalkhsdkssakgh

Jul 16, 2009
Metalhandkerchief said:
2002: Blizzard sells out
2009: Blizzard sells out tickets to BlizzCon

*Crosses arms and stares thoughtfully into the ground* there must be some pattern.
oooooooooohh *slow clapping*

ghalkhsdkssakgh

Jul 16, 2009
Metalhandkerchief said:
Mezzamine said:
Metalhandkerchief said:

*Crosses arms and stares thoughtfully into the ground* there must be some pattern.
Don't give me attention, I'm just bitter.
Over what? That you didn't get a ticket?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Metalhandkerchief said:

Wait, they sold out with Warcraft 3? When did this happen?

So after all that, they are still charging the pay-per-view to watch a convention on tv? Ok...dont know what if anything is worth all that. Shame that people will throw out their money like that.
You want real coverage of Blizzcon for the price of absolutely bugger all? Go to www.WCRadio.com. Feel free to donate if you so wish, but they're not charging anything and going by last year their coverage was far and away better than Blizzard's DIRECTV stream.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Metalhandkerchief said:
Mezzamine said:
Metalhandkerchief said:

Don't give me attention, I'm just bitter.
So am I, if I'm honest. I won a ticket through WarCry, and I can't go because the cost of airfare from Philly to Anaheim is prohibitive.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Wow, Blizzard's fanbase is almost as big as my [insert sexual pun here].

[small]Actually, I may have already made a pun by starting my sentence with "Wow."[/small]

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Why would you pay 40 dollars for a stream of sweaty WoW fanatics and even sweatier Diablo fanatics?

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
So am I, if I'm honest. I won a ticket through WarCry, and I can't go because the cost of airfare from Philly to Anaheim is prohibitive.
Ebay... I think your loaded.