British Revive Knightmare TV Adventure Show For One Week Only

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
British Revive Knightmare TV Adventure Show For One Week Only

Enter, Stranger! Ahh, the memories ...

If you were a kid in Britain during the 1990s Knightmare was one of the biggest things in your life. This adventure show used blue screen technology to put people just like you right in the heart of a fantasy adventure, wandering through Knightmare Castle searching for loot and glory. Dungeon Master Treguard, and your fellow teammates guiding you to victory over the game's many puzzles and traps, were the only things that stood between you and an ignominious end. It was brutal; in its eight year run, only eight teams managed to win their way through the Castle. Those glory days are long since gone but, for one week only, Knightmare returns, this time to YouTube, with Dungeon Master Treguard awaiting a new set of challengers.

It's all part of Geek Week, a celebration of gaming, science fiction, science and all things fun, taking place from the 4th to the 10th of August. This one-off will also feature Jessie Cave (Lavender Brown from Harry Potter) and comedian Isy Suttie alongside veteran Treguard, as the three main in-game characters. Dan Howell, Phil Lester, Emma Blackery and Stuart Ashen, all British YouTube personalities, will be participating in the one-off. There's plenty to like about Geek Week, from Global Geekery's Monday, with geek culture from all over the world - including Knightmare - getting a moment in the spotlight, Gaming Thursday's play-throughs to Fan Friday's sci-fi theme cookery, cosplay and more.

"What does it mean to be a geek?" Geek Week asks [http://www.youtube.com/user/YouTube]. Well, in at least one case, it means sitting down in front of a computer for a short nostalgia trip, wishing I could be the one wearing that clunky helmet. Ahh, memories ...

Source: Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jul/24/knightmare-revived-youtube-geek-week]

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Oh hell yes.

For all it's cheesy puns, awful special effects and absurd concept, Knightmare was bloody brilliant. Hopefully a warm reception to it might spur them to have a crack at a new series. I think the basic idea could be great, with a little updating to take advantage of advances in technology.

British children everywhere are being robbed of a great show if they don't!

Mar 30, 2010
A kid in the 90's? Aaw man, I remember watching it as a kid in the 80's. Now I feel old.

Incidentally, they still show reruns on Challenge every friday evening.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
Ooooh, nasty.

Never actually saw the show on tv itself, but I saw a spoony review on the show as a wholes while ago. Cool idea, I might tune in.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Fantastic news, thanks for the heads-up; I am going to watch this so hard. I'm also now going to go home and do what I can dig up the original episodes.

"Sidestep to the left. The OTHER LEFT!" (Thanks Guardian comments section.)

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
This was a great show. There is just something about game shows from the 90s that just can't be replicated these days. Like The Crystal Maze (with Richard O'Brien, not the other guy). I didn't see much of Knightmare as I never managed to organise my life in such a way as to watch any TV show regularly unless it was on at 8am before school, but it was a bloody brilliant one. And like Crystal Maze and Takeshi's Castle, I never saw a single group win.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Teoes said:
Fantastic news, thanks for the heads-up; I am going to watch this so hard. I'm also now going to go home and do what I can dig up the original episodes.

So you are not the only one around here that has The Escapist and The Grauniad as their news sources of choice. Sadly, I don't remember seeing that little moment the first time round.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Barciad said:
Teoes said:

So you are not the only one around here that has The Escapist and The Grauniad as their news sources of choice. Sadly, I don't remember seeing that little moment the first time round.
I check it occasionally to get a nice left-leaning spin on the news, but this time it was because it's noted as the OP's source.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
This show was awesome. Always watched it as a kid, me and my friends even sent in our names to have a chance to be on it. I always wondered what the main person sees. He wears a helmet that makes them blind, but can they look down? Anyway, i think they should remake this show as with todays graphics, it would be better and very imaginative.

juliett_lima

May 12, 2009
OOH OOH. They're also doing an official live version - http://www.knightmarelive.com/

(disclaimer - I am involved in the production. . .)

TheColdHeart

Sep 15, 2008
I used to love watching this.
CITV recently showed some episodes during their 30th birthday retro weekend, it was awesome seeing it again. My girlfriend said it was the worst thing she'd ever seen...We didn't talk much for a few hours.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Barciad said:
Teoes said:

And El Reg, maybe?

On-topic, Knightmare was brilliant back in the day. Even then, I couldn't help but shout at the contestants for being stupid wankers.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Too bad it couldn't get a modern day revival. it would cost a lot in this day and age. i could see it in a new light though, a decently generated 3D dungeon while using the occulus Rift as your "eyes" .your team mates had ways of helping you know things you and to see invisible stuff. Give someone a few hours in a Skyrim map builder and who know what you could come up with.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
sweet loved this show hopefully I'll watch this and still will love it, if not damn you nostalgia.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Brilliant. I've recently found myself watching the reruns of this show on Challenge - takes me way back. I remember being terrified of some of the stuff in this show when I was a kid, especially when they were wandering through some tunnels or that creepy forest. It all looks incredibly cheap now, but as a kid I was totally blown away by the scenes where they rode on the dragons back to head to a new area.