The Bureau's Agent Cole Has Made His Choice

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
The Bureau's Agent Cole Has Made His Choice

Were you one of the 51% who voted for the bottle?

By a margin so narrow - a mere 1% - it practically squeaks, the internet has decided that Agent Cole of The Bureau: XCOM Declassified [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126185-The-Bureau-Wants-You-To-Tweet-Agent-Coles-Fate] shall grab the bottle, not the gun. You heartless mons ... I mean, discerning fans now get to see what happens next, but if you were wondering whether this is it for Agent Cole, that July 26th tagline should convince you otherwise. Just don't forget to #EraseTheTruth when you're done here; security is paramount. We can't have information this sensitive in just anyone's hands.

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is the latest in 2K's XCOM revival, this time using real time strategy and shooter gameplay to good effect against those sneaky Sectoids. Civilians caught in the battlezones - Cole refers to them as 'sleepwalkers' - soon become alien pawns, and have to be destroyed by their would-be rescuers. Agent Cole clearly has some issues with this - unsurprisingly - but perhaps a trip to the sanatorium isn't the best solution. After all, this is XCOM, not Call of Cthulhu, however much The Bureau may sound like a Delta Green riff.

This one's due for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC August 2013.

Source: 2K Games [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rAVbYOiuxz8]

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
People choose the bottle....He still ended-up taking the gun....So people, are you expecting this game feature choice? Do you think it will even matter?

jericu

Oct 22, 2008
mad825 said:
People choose the bottle....He still ended-up taking the gun....So people, are you expecting this game feature choice? Do you think it will even matter?
...That's a bit of a jump to make. We don't even know what "Grab The Gun" did. For all we know, that option had him killing himself.

Bevin Warren

Jun 6, 2011
I assumed that the choice to pick the gun was a choice to shoot himself in the head and end the pain of losing his wife and son.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
jericu said:
...That's a bit of a jump to make. We don't even know what "Grab The Gun" did. For all we know, that option had him killing himself.
Oh, like it was never implied at the end of this promo.

It's cheap marketing. We've been here before yet people are swallowing the same shit.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
mad825 said:
jericu said:
Oh, like it was never implied at the end of this promo.

It's cheap marketing. We've been here before yet people are swallowing the same shit.
Wow, bitter much?

Do you stop playing a game from the intro because you know the protagonist is going to win and the antagonist is going to lose? Same concept. They are telling a story and the people get to decide parts of the story.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Makabriel said:
mad825 said:
Wow, bitter much?

Do you stop playing a game from the intro because you know the protagonist is going to win and the antagonist is going to lose? Same concept. They are telling a story and the people get to decide parts of the story.
Bitter? Look who's talking. I never made the argument personal.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Hot damn, this game has come a long way from the generic FPS is started out as. I'm definitely looking forward to its release.

Also, my prediction for the "grab the gun" option would have played out exactly like this, except instead of showing him drinking, he would have been taking step to load it, etc. The ending would have been the same. The alarm goes off, and he stops and goes to find out what it is.

Pinkscare

Wearin' Steam Badges
Jul 19, 2013
Mumorpuger said:
Hot damn, this game has come a long way from the generic FPS is started out as. I'm definitely looking forward to its release.
I, too, want this game. I'm pretty excited.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
mad825 said:
Makabriel said:
mad825 said:
Wow, bitter much?

Bitter? Look who's talking. I never made the argument personal.
Making it personal changes nothing. It's still a good counter point. You already know in most games that you are either going to win or at least defeat whatever antagonist exists. Do you just buy them and stuff them on the shelf?

Maybe the bottle was the go fight aliens choice. Maybe the gun would have ended with his brains splattered all over the desk. Don't forget alcohol is also known as liquid courage. So maybe the fact the bottle ended up with him fighting again was the intent and the gun was giving up.

You never know and isn't this half of it? Speculation and arguing like a bunch of nerds about tiny details?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I have to admit, I kinda squeed at the mention of Delta Green. If there's an under-appreciated field that's only been scratched by a few point-and-click games and one halfway-decent action-adventure title, it's Lovecraftian horror. We need more of it.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
mad825 said:
The implication of the choice was that he'd commit suicide, at least that's what I gathered from it. Maybe they'll have him do that, sure, maybe they'll screw the votes over. But maybe him grabbing the gun at the end is about him reconsidering, about him continuing the fight after all? He'd need his gun for that.