Call of Duty Developer Gets Death Threats After New Patch

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Call of Duty Developer Gets Death Threats After New Patch

Call of Duty players are a notoriously aggressive lot, but backlash towards the latest Black Ops patch has officially crossed the line.

Treyarch design director David Vonderhaar recently took to Twitter to talk about the latest patch for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, which modified three guns to be less powerful. While there was some rational discussion, Vonderhaar quickly found his Twitter feed flooded with hateful backlash including threats of violence towards him and his family. The anger began when he tweeted such inflammatory remarks as "The DSR fire time was 0.2 seconds. It's now 0.4 seconds. The rechamber time was 1.0 seconds. It's now 1.1 seconds."

As the threats rolled in, Vonderhaar attempted to bring things into perspective for those bullying his account.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/DavidVonderhaar/status/359662272500609026]

Activision community manager Dan Amrich stepped in to defend Vonderhaar [http://oneofswords.com/2013/07/editorial-stop-threatening-game-developers/]. "[Vonderhaar] often gets told he should die in a fire or kill himself or is a horrible person," Amrich writes. "If anybody thinks for a second that this is okay, it is not. But if the loudest voices in the Call of Duty 'community' act like an angry mob instead, guess how the entire world views Call of Duty? Now consider that these Internet Tough Guy rants and demands are not unique to COD, but exist everywhere, in many gaming communities. This is why the world often does not take gaming seriously; this is why gamers are assumed to be immature, whiny assholes. Because the immature, whiny assholes are louder."

Amrich goes on to thank those who submitted reasonable feedback about the changes, and commends Vonderhaar for his patience. "If you enjoy your games, have a little respect for the people who make them - and stop threatening them with bodily harm every time they do their job."

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-24-cod-developer-appeals-for-calm-after-death-threats]

Aug 1, 2010
I'm one of the most absurdly pro free speech people ever, to the point of being offensive, but he's right. This really isn't ok.

Just when you think people can't take CoD too seriously, the make a minor balance change to a game that isn't especially balanced in the first place.

The thing is, even though sports have people who get even more insane than gamers, sports fans already had a time when they were somewhat respectable, so people KNOW the crazy idiots are the minority. Gotta get the bedrock in place AND THEN go nuts with the immaturity.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Wait....what?

No just...what?

It's a GAME, there is not good reason to threaten someone over nerfs let alone ones that are in the less than a second catagory.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Wow... I just finally got my 360 fixed, and have yet to start playing Blops 2 again (need Gold first) but... now im not sure I want to be associated with this shit... I mean seriously... We're going to kill someone over fractions of a second? The Fuck!?

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Wow, these people need an angry dome or something. The problem with instant messaging everyone: No time to think about what you're saying before you frickin say it.

Sep 14, 2009
well, when you appeal to a certain crowd for years.... -_-

granted, i've gotten enough death threats through jobs/internet that i don't even bat an eye anymore, but really, if i was a seller of steroids to huge fuckheads, and i got upset that there were dude bro's fighting in front of the shop, i'd expect to be called a fucking idiot for not seeing that coming.

i do agree that it shouldn't be common place for that to happen, hopefully the dumbshits who do this got suspended or something off the games for a while.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Now, the question remains: of these threats, how many were made by people who have yet to hit puberty?

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
I would of been happy if they were able to ban the people making such comments. The games would be better off without people like that.

That type of community is one of the reasons I stopped playing those games.

Ace O'Hagen

May 28, 2013
erttheking said:
*Sigh* how come the most obnoxious immature ones make the most noise?
Because they are the ones who don't know any better, and because they are the ones that attract the most attention, we all get painted with their brush

evilcorgi

Mar 22, 2012
Kheapathic said:
Nothing really new, this is the internet being the internet.

Captcha: orange juice

Why yes, I think I'll go have some. Something to cool all this seething rage.
Exactly what I was thinking. People are told to kill themselves/threatened all the time for things less "important" than this. Dunno why it's more important if it's a game dev instead of some furry or neckbeard being threatened.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
I think that the CoD community may be too far gone for ANYTHING to work at pulling this kind of stuff back. I mean GabeN and the Riot devs don't even get death threats from the notorious MOBA community.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Changes involving fractions of a second made to make-believe guns in a video game rate death threats, now?

These people must have their heads so far up their asses that they can see out their own nostrils.

Upbeat Zombie said:
I would of been happy if they were able to ban the people making such comments. The games would be better off without people like that.
You have NO IDEA how much I would love to see that. "You want something to get upset about?" BANHAMMER

[small]And seriously, considering the guy who faced eight years of jail for one dumb comment in League of Legends [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125507-League-of-Legends-Player-Faces-Eight-Years-For-Terroristic-Threats], you'd think these rageheads would think twice before tossing off death threats.[/small]

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
How dare they try to balance COD and make the game A fair challenge for everyone, Noobs or not! HOW DARE THEY!!!

I sure hope they called his mom fat, that'll show him.

Sigh...

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
And you guys are doing so much to change people's opinions about video games and gamers themselves.

This is like Michael Bay claiming he doesn't like that people turn off their brains and just watch the pretty explosions in the films he makes. Of course he doesn't, he relies on it. Those twitchy, aggressive bastards, while not necessarily the majority of CoD players, definitely make up a large percentage.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
erttheking said:
*Sigh* how come the most obnoxious immature ones make the most noise?
They need to get noticed somehow in this world that would normally ignore them and label them as idiots. Sadly the idiots and extroverts are always the loudest. >.>

OT: Sadly this doesn't phase me as I've gotten a few death threats over the years from CoD fans, hell I get some from time to time when people PM me about my LPs. It's kinda funny how butt hurt some people can get about things, forgetting that it's a VIDEO GAME and that they are acting childish. Oh how I wish the Banhammer would bring swift justice to them, maybe then I'd try another CoD game since I'd be able to play it with my friends. :D

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Cognimancer said:
"This is why the world often does not take gaming seriously; this is why gamers are assumed to be immature, whiny assholes. Because the immature, whiny assholes are louder."
THANK YOU. ON SO MANY LEVELS.

(obviously to the community manager).

Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
I'm one of the most absurdly pro free speech people ever, to the point of being offensive, but he's right. This really isn't ok.
Death threats should never be okay, even in a free society.

WanderingFool said:
Wow... I just finally got my 360 fixed, and have yet to start playing Blops 2 again (need Gold first) but... now im not sure I want to be associated with this shit... I mean seriously... We're going to kill someone over fractions of a second? The Fuck!?
If it makes you feel any better, a lot of the butthurt folks are threatening to leave and go back to Modern Warfare 3. To which I say: I can't wait for my finger to get better and play in the new, improved Blops 2 community!

The Rogue Wolf said:
Changes involving fractions of a second made to make-believe guns in a video game rate death threats, now?
Are you kidding? Optional texture packs are.

And seriously, considering the guy who faced eight years of jail for one dumb comment in League of Legends [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125507-League-of-Legends-Player-Faces-Eight-Years-For-Terroristic-Threats], you'd think these rageheads would think twice before tossing off death threats.
I'm not sure they even think once, which is the problem both here and in the case of the kid who "threatened" to shoot up a school.