Dead Rising 2, Crackdown To Join Free Games With Gold Titles

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Dead Rising 2, Crackdown To Join Free Games With Gold Titles

Zombies and superheroic cops take top billing in the next round of Microsoft's Games With Gold promotion, as Crackdown and two Dead Rising titles join the free games list.

Dead Rising 2. Dead Rising: Case Zero. Crackdown.

These are the next three titles slated to join the Games With Gold promotion, according to Microsoft figurehead Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb.

As you should know by now, Games With Gold is a relatively simple attempt by Microsoft to win consumer mindshare. On the first and sixteenth of each month, the company rolls out a new (to the program) game, slashes its price to zero, and allows any Xbox Live Gold subscribers the chance to download and keep the videogame absolutely gratis. Neat, right? Of course there are caveats. Like I mentioned, you need an Xbox Live Gold subscription, and given the size of retail Xbox 360 titles, you'll likely need a fair amount of blank hard drive space.

With that primer complete, let's get back to the games. Dead Rising 2, as you may know, is an open-world, zombie survival game that is equal parts biological horror and wacky hijinks. One minute you're fleeing a mob of zombies and the next you're electrocuting a corpse back to death using a rubber Blanka mask strapped to a car battery. Dead Rising: Case Zero offers largely the same sort of gameplay, but it serves as a short prologue to the events of Dead Rising 2 - and, as a bonus, your progress in Case Zero can be carried over to Dead Rising 2.

Crackdown, by contrast, features no zombies. They wouldn't appear until Crackdown 2, where they utterly ruined the simple fun of being a super-powered cop with the ability to leap tall buildings and murder suspects by throwing cars at them. Crackdown isn't an accurate depiction of police work, but it a very entertaining excuse to screw around in a world designed almost entirely for that purpose.

Crackdown hits Games With Gold on August 1, and the two Dead Rising games debut on August 16. Consider yourself informed.

Source: Major Nelson [http://majornelson.com/2013/07/31/games-with-gold-for-august-crackdown-dead-rising-2-dr2-case-zero/]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Already have Crackdown and Case Zero although I cant complain about that, if its a popular game then it makes sense that a lot of people already have it and no one wants them to give unpopular games.

Well, at least I can play these games with my friend in coop but they certainly are somewhat lacking in comparision to something like Sleeping Dogs.

I would have liked if they always offered 3 games but the third game would always be some hidden weird gem like Deadly Premonition or Earth Defense Force 2017, shit, even Tenchu Z or Vampire Rain.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Definitely picking up Crackdown, it's been an age since I played that. Would recommend people pick up Dead Rising 2 as well, when it comes as well, another really enjoyable game too.

Also because of this, and other things that have been said [http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/26/4466744/crackdown-xbox-one-reveal-event-wasnt-accidental] and seen [http://i5.minus.com/jA5G1vMNHiXMQ.jpg] recently, I'm thinking we may be getting some sort of Crackdown 3 announcement at Gamescom, which I'd personally be delighted by. :D

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Hm, looks like I actually get to turn on my 360. Mainly because I don't have Dead Rising 2 because I don't wanna give Capcom my money after how they've treated their fans. Getting it for free is great. :D

PrimePowerOn

Nov 30, 2009
So, does anyone know if you can "purchase" these through the normal xbox method and then choose to download them in the future? What if I delete one from my hard drive and want to pick it up again, but the window has expired? Considering I don't really have any real emotional ties to these games, I may experiment with it and report back ...

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
PrimePowerOn said:
So, does anyone know if you can "purchase" these through the normal xbox method and then choose to download them in the future? What if I delete one from my hard drive and want to pick it up again, but the window has expired? Considering I don't really have any real emotional ties to these games, I may experiment with it and report back ...
As far as I know you should be able to look up your download history and redownload them to your xbox at any time you like just like any other game.

As for the original topic...another month that goes by without a title I want/don't already have. *pout* But hey, there's next month and free games are free. Sooner or later there's sure to be a game I want.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
PrimePowerOn said:
As long as you downloaded once you can always download again, you dont even have to go to the download history, you can just go to the page of the game and the option to download will be there for you.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Yes. I have a perfect record. I still have every game they've put on this. I think its a great idea, but 5 years late.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Dead Rising has always sucked. It's a sandboxy survival horror parody single player game with MMO style quests.... BUT they're all on really short time limits.

Sandbox and time limit do NOT go together.

Crackdowns good, but also costs like $5 preowned... whoopie doo.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Set this up to download last night. I freaking loved the original Crackdown and haven't played it in years.

Dead Rising 2 will be fun, too.

[sub]We've got new agency intel for you, agent.[/sub]

michael87cn said:
Dead Rising has always sucked. It's a sandboxy survival horror parody single player game with MMO style quests.... BUT they're all on really short time limits.

If it's any consolation, Dead Rising 2: Off the Record [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Rising_2:_Off_the_Record] has a "Free Mode" (replaces TIR multiplayer) in which there is no time limit and you are free to goof of all you want.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
michael87cn said:

It... *kind of* works if you're willing to put on your masochistic Capcom hat before playing. To Dead Risings' credit, one of the things it DID let you do was start a new game with your current progress, so although you'd be starting the story anew you'd keep your level, upgraded moves lists, etc. In that way I found Dead Rising is a kind of spiritual successor to Night Trap - lots of trial and error but the game is a blast *if* you play it the right way. In the end I was actually quite enjoying doing multiple runs of the game - a no-deaths run, an all-survivors run, a find-all-the-stickers run - but I can see how that would annoy some players.

Anyway, I'm happy that DR2 and Case Zero are surfacing, as the Games on Gold lineup has been pretty damn meagre so far, and as a bonus these are both games that a) I don't own and b) I was planning on getting.

Please, Microsoft, no more shitty Arcade titles after this?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Dead Rising 2 and Case: Zero are both free now

Wonder what the next one will be...heres hoping Injustice :( (doubtful but i can hope!)

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
arc1991 said:
Dead Rising 2 and Case: Zero are both free now

Wonder what the next one will be...heres hoping Injustice :( (doubtful but i can hope!)
Incredibly unlikely. I believe Dead Rising 2 is the most recent game they've put on this program and it's still 3 years old. Injustice just came out a few months ago - there's no way the devs would agree to let their game be free this early. We might be able to get Mortal Kombat Komplete though