Modern Warfare 2 Only Getting Two DLC Packs For Now

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Modern Warfare 2 Only Getting Two DLC Packs For Now

Activision and Infinity Ward have already laid out their plans for Modern Warfare 2's DLC, and they're keeping things short and sweet: There will only be two DLC map packs for the game, or at least that's how it looks for now..

While Treyarch is celebrating the release of the third map pack for Call of Duty: World at War, it seems that the next game in the franchise, Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 2, won't ever reach the same milestone. According to Activision, Infinity Ward is only planning two downloadable map packs for their upcoming surefire hit.

"We plan to launch two separate map packs for this title," Activision's Mike Griffin said. "Map packs help extend the shelf life of the franchise, as evidence by the strong catalog sales and premium pricing that we maintained a year and a half after launch."

Two will at least be one more than Infinity Ward produced for the first Modern Warfare, though obviously less than what Treyarch has made for World at War. People keep asking for Nazi Zombies maps, so they keep making them.

The DLC packs, whenever they arrive, will be timed exclusives on the Xbox 360 and will be available prior to the PS3 and PC versions, as Microsoft revealed in its E3 press conference earlier this year.

As someone who rarely buys map packs for shooters and the like, I'll say this is barely disappointing for me. If the default maps are good, I'm pretty sure I'll hold off on the DLC anyway. Now, if we're talking about DLC alternate costumes, that's a different story. A Captain Price skin for Soap MacTavish? Yes please.

UPDATE: Well, that's what Activision says. What does Infinity Ward say?

"The fact that we confirmed at least two map packs doesn't mean there won't be more; honestly we plan on shaping our DLC based on community feedback from the full game, and first two DLC map packs," community manager Robert Bowling said [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/08/07/infinity-ward-more-than-two-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-map-packs-possible/]. "Therefore, the community will really determine what comes after that."

[Via Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59869]]

Apr 28, 2008
Meh, they can keep their map packs, user made maps on PC for me!

Although I'll still probably get this game on the 360 and PS3 sooner or later/

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
The game isnt even out yet right? it costs a bloody fortune, and THEY WONT EVEN PUT THE BLOODY EXTRAS THEY'VE ANNOUNCED BEFORE HAND IN THE GAME!? fucking cocky basterds.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Ok, it's official: I need a credit card. I hate not being able to buy DLC.

But laying out their plan before the game is even released? They like sorting things out early.

EDIT: the guy above me makes a very good point.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I don't see why they can't put them in the game to begin with.

bookboy

Mar 16, 2009
while I admit this seems to be quite a strange announcement, considering the game has not yet been released. I don't see the point of getting angry at them about it.

to all the people above me, consider this, the game already has a set release date, and is on a production schedule. most likely, they have plans for additional maps that will not be ready for the release date, and so they are planning to release them in two separate groups. the only way to put them in the game at release would be to delay the release date.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
NoMoreSanity said:
Well this is a step up from the first Modern Warfare, though I'll just stick with the on-disc maps since I'm not into the multi-player like some friends of mine...
Its a shame thought that there probably won't be any co-op to help extend the life of the game for people who don't play as much multiplayer.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
scnj said:
I don't see why they can't put them in the game to begin with.
1. They would rather get the game released on time with a satisfactory amount of content.
2. Console owners have demonstrated during this generation they are gladly willing to shell out for this content, so publishers are capitalizing.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I like map packs, its a good change after everyone has got used to the regular maps to mix things up. I rarely like the extra maps as much as the original.

Some classic map packs from COD4 would be awesome though.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
JimmyBassatti said:
bernthalbob616 said:
Ok, it's official: I need a credit card. I hate not being able to buy DLC.

But laying out their plan before the game is even released? They like sorting things out early.

EDIT: the guy above me makes a very good point.
Or just buy those MP cards? Or the Playstation Network gift cards? I usually do that for my Xbox. I can't find the PS3 cards, so I'm forced to use a credit card :p
OT: They better update the challenge arenas, not just the MP maps...
Now, you see, I didn't know about those. Thanks for the tip.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Pandalisk said:
The game isnt even out yet right? it costs a bloody fortune, and THEY WONT EVEN PUT THE BLOODY EXTRAS THEY'VE ANNOUNCED BEFORE HAND IN THE GAME!? fucking cocky basterds.
Exactly what I thought. How the fuck can they have DLC before a game is out? If it's made already it should be in the final bloody product.

If the DLC was made afterwards fine, but anything ready before the games finished should come with it, especially considering they are upping the price.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
Pandalisk said:
Exactly what I thought. How the fuck can they have DLC before a game is out? If it's made already it should be in the final bloody product.

If the DLC was made afterwards fine, but anything ready before the games finished should come with it, especially considering they are upping the price.
I wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt already in the game to begin with, but the decided to just snip out certain bits for later, its like Resi 5's DLC that was just unlocking content already on the disc.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
NoMoreSanity said:
bue519 said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Well this is a step up from the first Modern Warfare, though I'll just stick with the on-disc maps since I'm not into the multi-player like some friends of mine...
Its a shame thought that there probably won't be any co-op to help extend the life of the game for people who don't play as much multiplayer.
Well there will be a two-player co-op bonus mode I here, just the main story is single-player thankfully.
Well, then all I can hope is that they expand on the co-op in some of the map packs.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Whats with announcing DLC before the actual game is even out?!

That seems absurd to me...

Either way, I'm a PC Gamer, so I'll probably get them for free, just like CoD4 and W@W.
/smugness