The Future of Movies (Maybe)

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Future of Movies (Maybe)

Movies have constantly improved technology since their inception, but where are we going next?

Read Full Article

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Interesting ideas, but just one thing - surely 3d glasses can't make elements *visible* that are otherwise *invisible*, but only the other way round. So you'd wear the glasses in order to *hide* the subtitles, not to show them - or else you'd have to wear one polarization to see things in one form, and another polarization to see them in a different form.

Omnicrom

Jun 26, 2012
No Bob, sad to say I don't know of anyone who mixes popcorn with Reese's Pieces. However I may have to try it someday, perhaps you've started something...

upgray3dd

Jan 6, 2011
I'm sorry Bob, it's actually Buncha Crunch that will be premixed with popcorn, Reese's Pieces would just be weird.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
I think the obvious change will be theaters themselves will go away. Many people have giant flat screen TV's and surround sound systems in their homes. Why go to a theater when they've effectively made a theater in their living room? What this means, I am uncertain. It could mean feature-length films will go away in favor of a series format. I thought Pacific Rim would have been better as a series. Wall-E would have been better as the series of shorts involving a robot cleaning up the planet. But these were made into features because that's what sells. It just doesn't sell as well as videos of cats on Youtube. If streaming can be done with theaters inexpensively, then it can be done with end users just as cheaply... maybe not as cheaply with server traffic and all. But it's already being done, anyway. Some movies can be streamed while they are in theaters. It's already going that way. And there's no reason to think people give a shit enough about the tradition of going to a theater to want to keep it alive for its own sake.

Here's a thing about 3D: it doesn't work. For all the work and technological advances, 3D still doesn't look like real life. Not even close. And since they have to flatten 3D presentations or else everyone would get headaches and discomfort... yes, they really do flatten it... it winds-up looking like a card board diorama. In Wolverine there is a shot of Logan and Mariko in bed. The camera goes past Tao Okamoto's shoulder to Hugh Jackman and she looked like a cardboard cutout that was a mile away from him. it just looks terrible.

Television had been slowly killing movie theaters for years. Technical innovations were quickly matched. Color movies came out and then color televisions were produced. It's an arms race. It's why theaters feature a wide screen and surround sound. It took a while, but now home theaters have that. And 3D as 3D televisions are also available. What do theaters off besides a reason to get out of the house besides the mini-golf course?

madigan

Oct 27, 2010
I'm kind of surprised Bob didn't mention the growing trend of movie theatre grills/restaurants. That is, movie theatres with table space in front of the rows of chairs and full food/drink menus available. I've seen places do it old-school style where you order your food and drinks outside the theatre and then bring them in and find a seat, and others (like Alamo Drafthouse and Studio Movie Grill) where you write your order down on a provided card or slip of paper (there are dim lights under the table-top so you can see the menu and your own order card once the movie actually starts) and waiters come by every now and then before and during the film to pickup orders, drop off food, re-fill beverages, and drop off/pick up bills.

It's a pretty great system that didn't exist in my area before the turn of the millennium, and I still run into people all of the time who have never heard of or consider going to a theatre that serves full meals (and alcohol!) during the showing.

*shrugs*

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Was actually talking to a colleague the other day about similar uses of 3D glasses like example 3. You could potentially be showing 2 different versions of the movie, depending on what glasses were worn, and potentially what soundtrack would be playing (depending on whether you've got some kind of earbuds).
Another potential use could be to show both 24 and 48 fps versions. Didn't like the look of The Hobbit? Just use the glasses that are set to receive the 24fps version. Like the new 48p version better? Switch glasses.
Some other idea was movies with variable fps. Keeping the classic 24p for dramatic character interaction, while expanding with 48p for bigger area and action shots. Much like how certain movies change aspect ratio with scenes filmed in IMAX format.

We didn't really get much work done that day...

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
!@%!# Madigan, you stole my thunder.

That is the future of movies. Not the movies itself, but the experience. Private viewings, Food, alcohol, reclining seats. It's going to come down to the actual viewing experience as much as the movie itself. As much as people harp on the comforts of home when viewing a movie, I just can't afford the type of hardware that kind of experience it takes. I'd rather blow the 20-30$ on a relaxed atmosphere catered food and loud speakers every couple of months.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
madigan said:
*snip*

It's a pretty great system that didn't exist in my area before the turn of the millennium, and I still run into people all of the time who have never heard of or consider going to a theatre that serves full meals (and alcohol!) during the showing.

*shrugs*
I've heard of such places, and it only makes me sad that AMC is still gagging my local cinema scene like the oversized turd that it is.

Pat Hulse

Oct 17, 2011
The glasses stuff was really damn clever, though I think with current technology, some of the applications you describe are less than possible. The glasses can make something that's visible invisible, but they can't reveal something that's invisible without the glasses, at least not as far as I know. So the whole R/PG-13 simultaneous screening thing seems less than possible since the R version would have to be the one on-screen while the PG-13 version would have to be the one that requires glasses, and what kid is going to willingly watch the "lame" version of the movie? I guess you could make it so that both versions require glasses, but that just seems like more of an inconvenience than anything.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I don't see why you need to wait for digital streaming to do old film revivals. The theatre chains near me have been doing it for years with DVDs and Blu-ray discs. Unless it's an IMAX or AVX theatre, most movies are still in 2K resolution. That's practically equivalent to your 1080p HD television. You just need to secure the public performance rights.

the antithesis said:
Here's a thing about 3D: it doesn't work. For all the work and technological advances, 3D still doesn't look like real life. Not even close.
You don't experience real-life in 24-30 frames per second either, but movies and TV have been shown that way for almost a century, and everyone was pretty cool with it.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Sorry but people who use phones in the cinema can go die in a fire! If you can't be away from it for the run time of a film don't go to the fucking cinema!

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Flatfrog said:
...surely 3d glasses can't make elements *visible* that are otherwise *invisible*, but only the other way round.
Strictly speaking this is true, but the problem is more technical than absolute. For instance, with subtitles, you can make the subtitles "invisible" to people not wearing glasses by disguising them with the normal movie, then have the glasses remove the "disguise", allowing the subtitles to be "visible" to people wearing the glasses.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Don't know about the future of movies, but..

wheee! RiffTrax mention. Love those guys(since they were doing MST3K)!

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
MovieBob said:
Most immediately, it would be possible for a studio or filmmaker to make changes to an already-released film almost on the fly. Imagine a world where "movie mistakes" like incorrect clocks, makeup-continuity flubs, an out of place prop, visible boom-mics, etc are no longer part of a film's permanent record; since mistakes caught on the first day of release could hypothetically be learned of on the first day of release and then "patched" with quick FX work (and a new upload of the source-file) in time for the first showing of the second day.
Streaming is potentially really cool because it could actually drop entry prices if shipping is less of a factor. When reading this I'm guessing that everyone is worrying about one thing: The "Star Wars" effect. If a producer can patch a movie whenever he wants, what is to stop them from eternally tweaking a movie? If I'm going to see a movie and talk to my friends about it, it damn well better be the same movie that they saw. Constant patching of movies would kill the entire social atmosphere of movie-going, unless you consider peopler raging at 'special edition' changes to be an enjoyable experience.

MovieBob said:
Worst case scenario, we all just accept that a sea of glowy squares in otherwise-dark theaters is just the new reality.
I could deal with light screens, as any really good movie has me glued to the screen without noticing my surroundings, but my worst case scenario is worse. If we get phones or computers in theatres then we have to deal with THE KEYBOARD CLACKING. Oh god, I want to stab my ears thinking about it. They've been trying to make silent key presses for a century now and aren't anywhere closer. It may never happen.

MovieBob said:
WHEN YOU BUY POPCORN, THE REESE'S PIECES WILL ALREADY BE MIXED IN SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY A BOX AND DO IT YOURSELF

...Other people do this, right?
Nope. You're crazy.

Captcha: Your Feedback
This is indeed my feedback. Very observant.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Ya know Bob, I've long been interested to have you go see a movie in Sweden, I'd be curious to see your reaction. In Sweden, I've seen someone texting like once, and never had to even see someone desperately trying to turn of the sound to their phone as someone is calling them mid-movie. The last time I was mildly annoyed at the movies were when some kids behind me tended to snicker to loudly at inappropriate times. People talking in theaters is virtually non-existing, the most you can expect is some banter during the trailers.

Not only are people well-behaved you never have to worry about finding a seat. You can only book numbered seats, most easily done online. This greatly simplifies big premiers, because once you've spent your nights in a tent to get tickets, you can pick the best seats then and there, no need to stand in line again. Also, there are no rules about bringing snacks from outside, near most cinemas in Sweden, you can find a big candy-store within spitting distance.

Whenever I read about your (or other people from US) frustration with movie-going, I get eternally thankful for this country and our civil and structured way of life.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
I've only ever seen the Buncha-Crunch combination. I have to wonder, is chocolate candy all that good if you get the popcorn buttery? I can't imagine it is.

schmulki

Oct 10, 2012
1) Cell phones could already be used for texting or anything else that is 100% text in a movie theater, very easily. Either have the screen be mostly back with the words be a darker color than white (yellow is a good color for this). The amount of light coming out, in that case is very minimal and would not disturb others around you, as long as the phone is kept low. Also, something like google glasses could take care of it.

2) No, the future of movies is not "wear more/different crap to make movies magically change!" No one wants to wear stuff. You know what happens if the choices are, "pay more asshole, or get blasted with ads all over the place"? More people stay home, wait for a home release, or just pirate the movie. This is what happens when you antagonize your audience. See: video games.

3) You're right about streaming/digital distribution of movies changing things, drastically. When it comes to the end-user (read: us), it's really not going to be much different, unfortunately. Yes, we might have some more niche/oddball choices here and there, but the savings of not distributing movies will not be passed onto us and as much as a world where a film could be "fixed" while in the theaters sounds cool, it won't happen. There's no real money in it.

Honestly, what's going to change most in going to the movies is what's offered. It's not the 1950's, people don't need to go to the theater to see something, there are MANY other options. Going to the movies is expensive and compared to home, it's not a great experience. Offer more. Better seats. Better/more reasonable priced concessions. A better guarantee of silence and not having my seat kicked by the brat behind me. Then, and only then, will stacking things like "pop-up video," rifftrax, and other fun stuff will make me care.